cowboy bebop netflix cell/mobile phone communicators

so it sort of went 4 steps backwards to get 2 steps forward on this.... i now have the main body in 2 halves and an additional panel for the screen and then the top greeblie piece. i still need to model the back panel details and cut out the holes for the screen and buttons etc again, but hopefully i started off with a much better mesh this time.... slow progress but fun progress.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 06.07.08.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 06.07.08.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 06.06.56.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 06.06.56.png
    436.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 06.05.40.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 06.05.40.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 06.05.25.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 06.05.25.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 73
a little more progress tonight - got the cut outs done for the screen and the speaker an buttons, and the body is hollowed to fit stuff inside, i will need to consider how it fits together i.e. screws etc as gluing it together with no access to electronics is not ideal so i will work on that too.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 01.57.16.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 01.57.16.png
    648.5 KB · Views: 69
and then the back detail which is not that accurate but it's what i have with the reference images i have so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 02.55.17.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 02.55.17.png
    471.7 KB · Views: 64
here is where im going to leave it for now - the coloured light covers are close but its probably better to model it based on some known parts rather than have to try print or cast lenses so that will be fun looking for something suitable and then i can change the design accordingly.... still have to figure out how it all fixes together other than glue... if it was just to be a non functioning item then glue would be fine (i think).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 04.33.29.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 04.33.29.png
    342.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 04.33.47.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 04.33.47.png
    832.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 04.34.18.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 04.34.18.png
    441 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 04.34.28.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 04.34.28.png
    268.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 04.45.19.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 04.45.19.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
sadly though I dont think they were from any item in the real world, i have dealt with a lot of lenses in my life, and unless specifically made for it those dont really exist...and iirc didnt one of them not have any lenses and were just the LEDs alone? I think 3mm leds of red green and blue?

Prob emphasizing the ability for capacitive touch or ir type of scenario vs actual buttons.

yes I think you are probably right, i did find something that could be used, and whilst not super accurate, the fact that each device in the show is different, gives a little creative license....
still having fun tinkering with the models so all good.

Yeah you noticed that too... even from the 1st page pics, 2 of them although orange are totally different... which I found kinda amusing.
Pics 1 2 3, scratch although it should be Jets? one doesnt have the scratch.
Pics 1 2 3, the Button Spaces are different, totally different button or panel? set. The Border on Pic 2 and 3 are way way bigger than on pic 1.
Pic 1 2 3 are the same button lens covers, but on 4 they are raised.... the 1 2 3 ones are flat or minorly flush with the cases(which you prob saw this right off the bat), but shadows re not present on 1 2 3 so they cannot be raised at all to the extent of what 4 is..
And the Lenses are different on 1 as 2 and 3 are the same, but 1 has different lens over all you can tell by the light refraction.

Although i do admit 1 could be the 'hero' prop or was not a hero prop but had to be used as one for the closeups, and somone screwed up for the rest or even vice versa.
Those are the ones that just caught my eye immediately. IDK about you.

But Heck yeah, dang artistic lic whole heartedly! By all means, i would do it, since every one I have seen has been different.
I would love to see next season and their new ones then, if they weren't damaged or destroyed from last season lol. Colors and Shapes and such.

Attachments

• CB_Phone_Diffs.png
    CB_Phone_Diffs.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
Wait wha? Ok... that was stupid, just read the wiki, but other than crit, I mean really? I thought it was good for what it was I mean you can do what you can do in anime at all, it just isnt possible....but for a live action type of one I thought it was perfect, and you establish characters in the first season, and get more into the live aspect of what the chars are when you start over from the beginning like they did. Screw the critics seriously.

Honestly if it wasent for my choice of netflix movies/tv series(oddly that isnt anime), I would have never known it was even on there. Even the actors were good and getting their footing and such. Could it have been better? yes, but every series can be, especially in their first season when they are trying to find their footing and even keel in knowing what is possible and what isnt.

I hope they do bring it back and ignore the idiots who wanted it gone.

Wait wha? Ok... that was stupid, just read the wiki, but other than crit, I mean really? I thought it was good for what it was I mean you can do what you can do in anime at all, it just isnt possible....but for a live action type of one I thought it was perfect, and you establish characters in the first season, and get more into the live aspect of what the chars are when you start over from the beginning like they did. Screw the critics seriously.

Honestly if it wasent for my choice of netflix movies/tv series(oddly that isnt anime), I would have never known it was even on there. Even the actors were good and getting their footing and such. Could it have been better? yes, but every series can be, especially in their first season when they are trying to find their footing and even keel in knowing what is possible and what isnt.

I hope they do bring it back and ignore the idiots who wanted it gone.

I agree. I've been a huge fan of the original anime since it first came out. It's up there as one of my favourite shows of all time. And I really enjoyed the live action. I thought John Cho, Mustafa Shakir and Daniella Pineda were all exceptionally good and captured the key aspects of the anime characters perfectly, within the context of the new show. And I thought Eden Perkins (even in the tiny glimpse we had of them in the final moments) absolutely ******* nailed Ed! SO good, physically and vocally! Just perfect. The secondary cast were all great with one glaring exception (see below). The sets designs, ambience and special effects were all top notch. Mostly, the vibe was perfect too - I loved all the noir references and the jazz aesthetic. I also thought most of the changes they made to the existing plots, and they way they integrated 'existing' points of reference into the various 'new' plotlines was clever. Mostly. So far so good, and I ceetainly enjoyed it enough to really want a second series.

The one BIG thing that didn't work for me was the foregrounding of the Spike/Julia/Vicious stuff. I thought that was a huge mistake. I can see why they did it - to make it drive real-time relevance and jeopardy in the present day and to give Julia and Vicious more active roles - but it works so much better as the almost abstract haunting from the past that it is in most of the original anime. There's a melancholic quality to Bebop that comes from the three leads being unable to move on from their pasts and trapped in limbo. Bringing that past into the present gives them agency to change things that they shouldn't have if you want to keep that feeling.

That was made worse by two things. I disliked them making Julia betray Spike and turn into the villain at the end. I thought that was wrong for the character and for the show. Regretting a lost love who died is one thing. Regretting a lost love who went bad and shot you out of a window is quite another, and it weakens Spike's entire character arc going forward. And the actor who played Vicious was a) physically totally miscast and b) an absolutely terrible actor! Vicious may be many things but a hulking. beetle-browed, lantern-jawed brute he is not! I very rapidly grew weary of his mugging and gurning. Everyone else was so subtle and nuanced, and then suddenly every time he was on screen it was amateur hour. Truly terrible. The guy who played Asimov in the first episode would have been a much better Vicious IMO.

That said, I'd have been very happy to see the adventures continue. I think the addition of Ed would have been brilliant. I really wanted to see what they'd do with 'Mushroom Samba' and 'Toys In The Attic'! And I'd like to have seen their take of Hard Luck Woman too. But, as seems all too common nowadays, even before it opened there was a hugely vocal bunch of toxic 'fans' rage-spewing all over the internet, sending death threats to anyone involved (over a single photo in some cases), downvoting every mention of it anywhere, and drowning out any positive voice. So a head of negativity had built up which it was always going to struggle to overcome. Add to that a fairly so-so critical reaction, and the verdict on the show's viability was inevitable really. A great pity.

I feel really sorry for the cast and the crew, though, who worked really hard on it, and from a place of love and respect. They deserved better.

At least we'll always have the original, though. There's that.

I actually agree with your on all that. Pretty well said actually.
And especially agree with Julia which honestly did NOT make sense to me....Seriously...i was more confused than anything, I mean unless she was somehow brainwashed... or there of? But there was no signs of anything like that, and there was no explanation either via spike, not one to explain to her why it happen and from whom.
Vicious i also agree...to me it was also, they made him... for a lack of a better term... meaner... I understood they wanted him to make him dark and mysterious, but not to the extent of devil reincarnate? No.
It did seem to me he was more 'trying' to actually act or pushing himself to act than just letting it flow like the other chars.

I agree it saddens me as well that cast even over all and crew are out, even cho loved his char since he liked the anime itself...and he was perfect for it even the attitude.
Especially during the Shower-Bath-Shower LOL you see his face it was like even in RL he never tried it and it was life changing.

I just hope the OP doesnt stop making the prop(s) cause even if it is gone I still want it so BAD.

There were several different models of the Tivando made. There was one with a keyboard (that I don't think was really featured) and a couple had lights so the Art Dept could put in some backlit graphics. Even when that did happen, the screens had to be replaced by a CG graphic that was composited in. There are two little boxes with round lights on the edges of the screens. Those are supposed to be either projectors or camera lenses for the 3D Telepresence effect. (It was always kinda vague how that worked. Some Tivandos had them, others did not - depends on the "model" I guess.) There are no found parts. On the non-functioning props, the colored lights are just small bits of colored plexi that are glued in. According to the concept art, the piece that sticks out at the top is actually a removable headset that the owner could wear. That feature was ditched very early on and I'm not sure it was ever filmed. Spike touches the back of his ear in Ep3 when he's staking out the strip joint. That was supposed to be the Tivando's headset but got replaced by something much smaller. It kinda implies it was an implant. Again, it wasn't really thought through. Hope the dims help.....

Attachments

• IMG_20211122_030023.jpeg
    IMG_20211122_030023.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20211123_234432.jpeg
    IMG_20211123_234432.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 92
sadly this has been sidelined along with pretty much everything on my workbench as i lost my job and had to commit 100% of my time to finding a new job. and so i literally have had no time for anything apart from making sure i get the bills paid.... done a bit of everything from furniture restoration and upholstery in the mean time to get some cash coming in but the world is a tough place sometimes and competition is fierce.
im sure i will return to it some day but if anyone wants the files i have so far i will happily share them.

Well please keep it on the burner dont take it off, cause this one thing I would pay for STL wise if you ever do get back to this. So please dont forget about us. My best wishes to you and I hope you are doing ok over all health wise too.

thanks for the kind words, im doing good and new job is pending starting soon so once i find my feet i'll be back to doing the things i enjoy in my spare time. i'll happily share the files for free if i get them finished.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back