COVID-19 modeling -- stay inside/model hard!

Hunk a Junk

Sr Member
One of the unexpected benefits of being an introvert who likes to spend time alone in my man cave building model spaceships is that it means I'm uniquely qualified to have plenty of projects to keep me occupied in quarantine!

This thread is a shout out to all my friends and fellow modelers here on RPF and other forums to stay safe, stay healthy, wash your hands, and stay inside building models! This is a scary situation, no doubt, and we are all under stress from a variety of factors. This is a situation to take very seriously until we beat it and we can resume our normal lives. In the meantime, I'm sending this message out to all of you to keep your spirits up, take care of your loved ones, and to build some models! If you ever needed a good excuse to hunker in your bunker and attack your stash of kits, here it is.

I'm going to focus on finishing my drydock refit-E, with moveable hull access panels and studio miniature details. My goal is to replicate the model as it looked during Kirk and Scotty's grand tour in TMP.
IMG_3851.jpg
IMG_4017.jpg

What's your COVID-19 kit?

Yep, never a better time to be in the hobby. Social obligations...canceled! Schools....shut! All school related activities and rec sports....canceled! Enjoy the life slow lane while it lasts. :) A beach near me is filled with people out enjoying the day. I suspect that wouldn't be the case if circumstances were different.

In any event, started the Kitty Hawk Bronco. Should last me the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Yeah!!! I am so excited for break from college after Friday (after online exam). For the first two weeks of the next quarter its going to be online. I would not be surprised if it is going to be for the whole entire quarter. I am going to make the Mandalorian rifle as well as preparing other things to make the armour including getting some fiberglass sheets and a mask for them too. haha. I am also so, so close to finishing my Han Solo Blastech DL-44 gun from The New Hope. So psyched.

Last edited:
I don't have the luxury...I have to work still

Most people are grateful if they can still work. Let me be clear, I didn't start this to express happiness that we'd suddenly have all this free time. Rather, to slow the spread of the virus we need to stay home when possible and modeling is an activity we already love. With sporting events, concerts, and large gatherings mostly cancelled, we have to make the best of a new normal. Just a small thing to make this challenging time of isolation a little easier.

Rather, to slow the spread of the virus we need to stay home when possible and modeling is an activity we already love. With sporting events, concerts, and large gatherings mostly cancelled, we have to make the best of a new normal. Just a small thing to make this challenging time of isolation a little easier.

Sounds like good advice to me, delivered with the right kind of positivity.

Most people are grateful if they can still work. Let me be clear, I didn't start this to express happiness that we'd suddenly have all this free time. Rather, to slow the spread of the virus we need to stay home when possible and modeling is an activity we already love. With sporting events, concerts, and large gatherings mostly cancelled, we have to make the best of a new normal. Just a small thing to make this challenging time of isolation a little easier.
I understand, I just don't have that luxury, although ironically I have to get as many spare laptops imaged and ready for anyone who may end up having to work from home to be available. So I can enable others to stay home. Just..not the sole IT guy.

#wellguessI'lldie :p

I work retail in a grocery store chain and it has been hectic there since this started. My time at home, when I'm not working, is spent working on my models or watching YouTube videos.

I'll be using this time to try to complete my full size R2!
Gotta do the last bits on the dome...

View attachment 1276331

Man! It's been a dream of mine to build a full-size R2 ever since going through the R2 room at Celebration V in Orlando. If I could convince my wife it's a better investment of my time instead of putting in the patio and pergola she wants in our backyard, I'd be all over this. Someday. Looks great!

My job has asked anyone who can work from home to do so for the next 2 weeks starting today. I normally work from home 1 day a week, but now it is every day. As a result, my total commute time is 0. Since it is 1 hour each way that saves me 2 hours per day I can use for modeling. I can also do some on my lunch break which is another hour

And not going out on the weekends is even more time.

So, I have been busy... B-Wing is almost done, base coats on the Y-Wing stuff and cockpit interiors for 3 Tie variants, plus finished the AT-AT and 2 Snowspeeders, Tie Striker and am getting the Yamato 2202 EDF ship prepped for primer

IMG_2558.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back