Covertec wheel: accurate material for prequel lightsabers?

Filandrius

Sr Member
I honestly don't know if this has been discussed yet (didn't find anything) but here goes: what is the accurate material for a covertec wheel installed on a prequel lightsaber replica? In Phantom Menace the screen-used lightsabers used original wheels (I think) but did the props for all prequel movies used original plastic wheels, or did they upgrade with machined replicas?

Always original wheels. Every original prop saber I’ve ever seen, if it had a covertec wheel, that wheel was an original covertec product. Injection molded nylon with a distinctive part line chording across the circle.

An authentic plastic wheel has a steel washer inside. I think that washer would make it strong enough even for the heaviest lightsaber props, so there would be no reason to make their own unless they couldn't source enough of them — but they were quite common back in the '00s, so I don't think that's the case.

Some replicas have wheels of anodised aluminium simply because those looks nicer up-close. Wheels dished on the bottom to the curvature of a cylinder were also invented by fans.

I scrutinised my image collection: Anakin AOTC, Dooku, Sidious at SW Celebration 3 and a "Shaak Ti Episode 3" saber in an exhibit all have wheels that are satin black with the moulding line across, like authentic plastic wheels do. I don't have up-close images of other sabers from Episodes 2 and 3.

Edit: I do have a plastic wheel with no washer in my parts drawer, but it is missing the parting line and the slit is narrower. I have no idea where it comes from. (Master Replicas?)

Last edited:
An authentic plastic wheel has a steel washer inside.
I've never seen such a thing. Maybe what you saw was a washer that got left behind, or stuck in there? The wheels are definitely NOT co-molded with a washer. They're just straight nylon (or some other plastic, I didn't test that, but I'd be pretty confident that they're nylon).

The amazing thing is that you can still get originals wheels and belt clips too! Unlike so many of the real world parts of these props.

I've never seen such a thing. Maybe what you saw was a washer that got left behind, or stuck in there? The wheels are definitely NOT co-molded with a washer. They're just straight nylon (or some other plastic, I didn't test that, but I'd be pretty confident that they're nylon).
I've got three knobs with co-moulded metal washer on my desk, all with the correct mould line. I know I bought a couple real Covertec clips with this type of knob in the early '00s. One sat on a saber made by Roman in '02 or earlier. When installed on a lightsaber, the metal washer is obscured by the bolthead, and you can't see the washer without unscrewing the bolt.

Here's a picture of one (partsofsw.com) with the co-moulded washer showing. I know this pic is old, likely before any replicas were made and I don't think the two Chris'es would have any pics of replicas on their site without clearly saying so (or at all).

But apparently there exist all-plastic original knobs too. I can find both types together with clips in image searches.

Edit: I couldn't find it, but I have a vague recollection of a post complaining about newer Covertec clips no longer having a steel washer inside.

Last edited:
53D70C26-47AB-43EE-A1FF-2AEFA8BBBCAF.jpeg

I got my covertec items shortly after it was first discovered what they used in The Phantom Menace. So some time mid to late 1999. You had to order them from the UK as American used a smaller wheel and clip. I’m guessing at some point either the actual company Covertec or copycat manufacturers stopped using the metal insert to cut down on costs.

I have a belt clip and knob that, I am told, were leftovers from the costume dept in I, II or III. The wheel has the washer and parting line just like the ones above. I made a stand with the belt clip and some bent brass to display my prequel hilts

AFD67ED8-8CC3-4FBE-9633-4B18AD01D9B6.jpeg
430A7D82-407C-427F-847B-B1BBE65EC5FA.jpeg
2E970713-6870-4593-8938-557ABD0A6E9E.jpeg

Here are a bunch of newer production covertechs without the embedded washer, and one late 90s cover tech with it.

5C7B9B60-A98A-4AC5-867D-95BABF445DAC.jpeg

The vintage one has a smoother overall finish compared to the newer ones and the outermost disk part that actually locks into the belt clip is slightly thinner on the vintage. Newer one on top, vintage on bottom:

750F458B-D6C5-4827-B201-0FA6E24E5CC2.jpeg

I’m gonna have to check mine, I bought a big lot of them a few years back. See if they have the washer.. off the top of my head I can’t remember seeing a washer in any of mine

Do you have pictures of the screw included with the clip? I remember I bought a variant Covertec wheel about 10 years ago and wanted to confirm which would be the more accurate screw.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back