Covering Pepakura?

Brandon1

figured i'd post a quick question for anyone who uses pepakura models.

What do you use to smooth out and harden you pepakura after you ahve it all glued together?
I was gonna use fiberglass resin with fiberglass matting to harden it, but i was wondering what you guys use to smooth it all out? bondo putty?

Thanks guys

Honus: Awsome mate, thanks for the link!

ya I've heard it can do that if you apply to much it can warp.

I'll be using 110 lbs paper and I'm going to use expanding foam to fill it.

I'm trying my hand at a Pipboy model from fallout 3. Going to do a vault 101 suit so i wanna make sure i can do the pipboy.

Anyone got the Predator pepakura they can email? I've seen the link for it in this forum, but I can't download it for some reason, and I've tried numerous times. My email is cayman_shen@hotmail.com, and you'd be doing your good deed for the day!

I just made pepakura iron man helmet and what i did is used cardboard for making it and then painted it to make it look smooth. Using fiberglass is a good idea also for less experienced people try putting clay on to you pepakura model, make it the same shape and then put it into the microwave so it hardens. i hope this helps

For any pepakura project you should build it with some card stock to give it some structure. I used 110lb cardstock that can be bought at Wal-Mart. I assemble the pep using hot glue but I have also had some success with super-glue. After you have your pep assembled, you need to give it one or two coates of polyester resin to harden it up. What I did for my Pred bio and what I have done with my Halo stuff is rotocast the inside with Smooth-On urethane plastic. After the plastic has cured it will be able to stand the rigors of sanding. After it cures I use auto body filler like Bondo to smooth out the seams and get it ready to paint. After a LOT of sanding, things are usually looking pretty good. If anyone needs any pep files, I have accrued a few since I started going pep-crazy, PM me if you need some.

Personally I just cut the basic shapes out using the pepakura model on cardboard, I didn't keep any of the tabs because I just used a hot glue gun. When I finally went about smoothing it out I used a cheep all purpose Joint compound I had laying about the house. It worked out alright.

Hebinator said:
For any pepakura project you should build it with some card stock to give it some structure. I used 110lb cardstock that can be bought at Wal-Mart. I assemble the pep using hot glue but I have also had some success with super-glue. After you have your pep assembled, you need to give it one or two coates of polyester resin to harden it up. What I did for my Pred bio and what I have done with my Halo stuff is rotocast the inside with Smooth-On urethane plastic. After the plastic has cured it will be able to stand the rigors of sanding. After it cures I use auto body filler like Bondo to smooth out the seams and get it ready to paint. After a LOT of sanding, things are usually looking pretty good. If anyone needs any pep files, I have accrued a few since I started going pep-crazy, PM me if you need some.
Couldnt have said it better myself.  cheap , easy to do, time consuming with the bondo but done right its fantastic work.  I use smoothon 30.   10-15 min cure time,  3min work time, 2-3 coats of this and its fine.  I also once used that wall filler stuff once, the powedered form, in a pinch, instead of bondo, and after sanding it , i covered in smooth-on again and painted.  worked out well for a quick costume solution. 

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back