Countdown timer in a P2 spear

Elkman

Sr Member
A member here asked me to make a countdown timer for his P2 spear. So, he sent me the spear and I got to work.

I made the countdown timer using the same LED arrangement that I've been using for my gauntlet countdown timers, but I'm using the Arduino Pro Mini instead. It's a lot smaller than the full-size Arduino boards, but it also doesn't have any connectors soldered into place. Here's how the Arduino fits into the cavity:
XenoSpear-16r.jpg

I probably Dremeled out a lot bigger slot than I really needed to do, because I was trying it with an Arduino Pro instead. (That was the board I killed with the wrong battery polarity last week.) The circuit board is just big enough to get 9 LEDs into the shape of each digit, plus the MAX7219 chip and the brightness adjustment resistor. There isn't enough room in the cavity to get the 9 volt battery into place with all the circuitry, so I'm putting the 9 volt battery on the end with one of the spear tips being removable:
XenoSpear-15r.jpg

XenoSpear-14r.jpg

Here's what the result looks like, with a tinted Plexiglas window in place over the digits:
XenoSpear-17r.jpg

And here's what it looks like with the lights off:
XenoSpear-19r.jpg

I think I might need to put a black piece of paper in there to hide the circuit board, with cutouts for the individual LEDs. I'm also debating whether I need to put a window frame on top around each of the three digits, as the original model had.

Wow nice work there! I might have to get a price for my gaunts sometime! I always wondered what the countdown timer on the spear was for! Setting the bomb and throwing the spear perhaps so the pred doesn't kill itself?

I believe that the timer was also supposed to be a power source and control mechanism of somekind on the spear it controlled the extension, and velocity etc... if I remember correctly. But I do believe it could be used as a bomb if needed.

can you make one for me,i have the same spear(its not painted yet) it looks awsome.just name your price :D
I sent you a PM. I'll make one for $90 plus shipping for the timer itself, if you want to install it yourself, or $110 plus shipping if you want me to install it.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back