Costumes on mannequins: How do you avoid poking

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by PropReplicator, Dec 13, 2005.

1. PropReplicator

PropReplicator Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I want to get some "real" mannequins for my costumes, but I don't want to poke holes in the pants legs of my costumes for the metal support bars for the mannequin.

What's the trick?

W.

2. vaderman1701

vaderman1701 Well-Known Member

I use 1/2 inch plumbing pipe to support my "bendy" mannequin. I have a 60" long pipe connected to a flange that is attached to plywood. I have a T at the end of the long pipe to 6" pipes extend out. Elbows are put on the ends and then 2 4" pipes extend from each elbow.

I have my Vader costume on it. Works well. I actually use the belt straps for the costume and fasten them around the pipes to ensure it will not fall over.

Hope that helps.

Scott

3. PropReplicator

Cool, sort of a lifesize doll display set-up? Sounds fairly easy.

thanks.
    Wayne

4. eddie vader

eddie vader New Member

I drill a hole through the bottom of the shoe. It works very well and is the most aesthetically pleasing, IMO.

E. Vader

5. PropReplicator

Ack. I don't know if I could do that to my Fett boots. :eek

Wayne

6. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

I removed all the supports for my mannequin after I had trouble displaying my DD suit on it. Short of cutting a hole in the left boot and two holes in the jacket I didnt have many options.
    I just got a 6 foot metal bar and attached a bracket to the back of the neck of the mannequin. The top of the pole rests on the bracket, I then attached the bottom of the bar to the base I knocked together for it. Worked better than I thought it would.

So I'm fine as long as nothing I put on it wants to wear a necklace :lol