costumers -- is this bad "etiquette?"

nwjedidave

Sr Member
not sure what you would call it.. "etiquette" i guess

i had a custom Anakin EP II cloak made... the maker sent it to me for a fitting and any adjustments..

after sending it back for afew minor adjustments the maker pretty much fell off the face of the planet.. not responsive to email of any kind... over 2 years later i send 1 more email and get a responce... the maker is VERY busy but is willing to sell me the cloak.. minus the adjustments

so is it bad form after i purhcase the cloak to ask another costumer to help me with the adjustments?

thx in advance
NWJEDI
dave

<div class='quotetop'>(nwjedidave @ Jun 27 2006, 11:35 PM) [snapback]1269569[/snapback]</div>
not sure what you would call it.. "etiquette" i guess

i had a custom Anakin EP II cloak made... the maker sent it to me for a fitting and any adjustments..

after sending it back for afew minor adjustments the maker pretty much fell off the face of the planet.. not responsive to email of any kind... over 2 years later i send 1 more email and get a responce... the maker is VERY busy but is willing to sell me the cloak.. minus the adjustments

so is it bad form after i purhcase the cloak to ask another costumer to help me with the adjustments?

thx in advance
NWJEDI
dave
[/b]

That's like buying a pair of Levi jeans & hoping Mr Levi wont get made if you have them hemmed.

Buy it & do whatever you want to it.

-Zoid

I can't even imagine how it would be bad form to adjust a costume piece so that it fits you. I'm constantly adjusting my own costumes to make them fit better, changing the pieces I made and the pieces others have made for me... so if someone out there considers it impolite, I'd definitely be curious as to the logic of why it would be.

Dave,
It definitely doesn't sound like you don't have to worry about issues of etiquette with regards to your original supplier. As for alterations by a third party, this should never be a problem. Egos have no place in business, and work is work. Competition is what keeps quality high, and most businesses understand this principle, so you've got nothing to be concerned about.

<div class='quotetop'>(nwjedidave @ Jun 27 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]1269569[/snapback]</div>
over 2 years later i send 1 more email and get a responce... [/b]

You actually waited 2 years??? :confused

Lets see...seeing how the seller had your cloak for 2 years or roughly 4,160 working hours and he didn't have time to 1) fix it, 2) give you any kind of communication, and 3) even give you any consideration, I'm thinking the extremely poor etiquette is on the sellers part. I'm thinking that you're just lucky to actually be getting anything back...

Only do a COD or use a credit card... If it has taken this long to get back to you I would have BIG BIG BIG doubts as to whether or not he will even send it once he has you $$$$$$

sorry guys let me explain abit more...

i "found" her on eBay.... we began talking, and she decided to take on the project... no money exchanged hands... she worked to my suggestions and pictures...

she took pictures through out the process and when finished she sent it to me to try it on for any adjustments...

after i tried it on and let her know what needed to be fixed i sent it back, and it was after that when she didn't return emails ...

i sent her an email every once in awhile, but never got a responce.. sent her another one afew days ago, and she did respond, so it looks like i'll be able to pick this up finally and then work with someone to get the adjustments done...

she is not from this forum, nor do i think she even knows about it . LOL

dave

2 years is a long time. I would get the cloak back, and find someone else to do it. there are enough peopl around here that would trip over each other for your business.

Sounds almost like Kathy Pilsbury to me.

Definitely cant be certain though. No accusations on my part, just sounds like similar history.

I'd say your business as a buyer has been one of MUCH patience. I'd be furious by now.

Eff her. Buy it as is (try for a discount: two year annoyance fee) and then have someone local to you alter it. Starting a a business deal is a contract to complete it as far as I'm concerned.

I ordered a costume from someone and when I got it she butchered it. I took it to someone else without a word to her and had it altered and repaired on my own dime. It's fine now but I'll never do business with the woman again because she got in my face when I asked why certain things were wrong. Being artistic or talented does not excuse a person from being an a@@hole, EVER.

Well, regardless of who it is, 2 years is just not kosher. (mental note: try contacting guy re: han solo glove run) In this situation tho', where monmey hasn't exchanged hands, I'd say its just up to you. Buy the cloak - at a discount, after all it isn't finished - and get the work done yourself. But, I'd ONLY pay when you receive the cloak. This is very important because she has clearly shown that she gets lost in her work and heck, she may simply forget about sending it...

This reminds me of something that happened to me once. I bought some rennesaince style leather armbands from a catalog, and I knew that since they were handcrafted and made to my measurements, Id have to wait a little while before they came in. I waited an entire summer, and still nothing. I got in touch with the company and they told me they had no record of me purchasing anything, even tho my bank statement said that they were paid. They told me alot of orders had gotten lost when they moved from paperwork to computer files. I actually spent more money and ordered some matching leg armor and they got right on making everything for me and shipping it out. Its terrible that we do the right thing, and sometimes we are all too nice, and someone takes advantage of that. And we are the ones feeling bad for asking someone to fulfill their end of the contract.

You sent it back to her for adjustments that were not done. Now she wants to sell it to you without the adjustments?

Tell there that if you'll take it then you'd like a discount because it lacks the adjustments you requested at the outset. If she's got the nerve to reply after two years and take things up where you two left off, then she should honor the original deal....the item with full adjustments or you'll take it at a discount without the adjustements.

It's good of you to be so considerate of others, but in this case she did do something wrong in leaving you hanging for two years. For all we know, she took the photographic reference, made versions of the product based on that reference, and has been selling them all this time with no thanks to you. I would check if she's been selling these on ebay? Of course there's nothing you can do about that, but at the minimum she should offer a discount for keeping you waiting so long and not carrying through on the adjustments. You can be nice and direct at the same time :).

good luck.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back