Costume build. Need help to decide!

Geuse

Hi everybody. I'm really at a loss. Been thinking of starting a real project and deciding on a costume to build. It just seems Iron Man has been done to death. But of course, the sex appeal is always important ;)
Preferably I want an iconic character and not a stray storm trooper etc.

I'm 183cm/6ft, 75Kg/165 lbs. Slender frame. Kinda like Andrew Garfield.

Here's a list of possible choices, but I want more:

Rocketeer
Iron Man
Eren Jaeger from the extremely popular "Attack on Titan"
Vash the stampede. Actually could fit my body type very well. Though I would most likey be more comfortable hiding my face behind a mask =)
Deadpool perhaps. Would fit the movie release as well for next year which would be cool.

Thanks for reading

Hi Geuse,and welcome to the RPF :thumbsup
You actually don't have to be at a loss :D crafting is a hobby and you're still breathing,so have a seat and let's look at your options.
What do you like? What movie/tv show is your absolute favorite? What concept would keep you up at night thinking about costume possibilities?In what costume do you see yourself walking around at a convention?

Pick whatever your gut tells you,rather than what your mind tells you.And if a mask helps you to feel more comfortable walking among strangers,then pick a character with a mask.This should be your day and the experience should be that good,so that you would want to go again.

If Vash is your first choice,then go for it :cool and don't worry about not wearing a mask with the costume; you'll be so happy the costume is finished,you won't even miss the mask ;)

And, the world isn't lacking in Deadpool characters/costumes. I love the costume but unless you hybridize the suit, he's a pretty common figure at most conventions.

never heard of Vash... I'll have to look that one up!

Thanks! =) Nice to be here at last. Been silently reading now and then, thinking cosplay isn't for me, but I love to sculpt and create stuff and just decided, what the heck Let's just do it before I get too old. Already 32 so.

I totally agree, Deadpool is as common. I'm thinking about creating an iron man suit even though at first it went against my ideas. The execution and the familiarity is the most important aspects to me after all. I mean if I'm to spend blood sweat and tears, at least I want someone who's extremely well known. Though among nerds, most comic/movie characters are =)

What do you like? What movie/tv show is your absolute favorite? What concept would keep you up at night thinking about costume possibilities?In what costume do you see yourself walking around at a convention?

I really love sci-fi movies. Akira, Blade Runner, Terminator, The Matrix etc etc. But I think I rather want something done in pepakura more than sewing a costume as I really haven't worked with it yet.
As an engineer(well noob engineer as I'm studying atm) Iron Man speak so much to me. Like pinnacle of engineering. Perhaps I could add some to the design which has been so heavily worked on already. I want to try my hand at makng a workable spring system to open and close it. Kinda like the Hoberman sphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiY7QDoJgP8

Loved the crazy lady from Total Recall!

THaT would be an awesome costume!!

there is a group on FB called Over30cosplay that has a lot of good folks. Don't let age dissuade you. I'm 46 and I know for a fact there are a lot of us "over30" cosplay/costumes here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the encouraging words =)
Ok, so I've kinda decided then. It's Iron Man.
I have some questions regarding foam vs paper. Though foam seems to be faster, to me it stands out as being less accurate since it's such a flexible material. Though cardstock paper isn't extremely rigid either, I'm debating what to go with. My idea is to add a frame inside the helmet. Like crossections that would help the pepakura to hold it's shape and once reinforced I'll remove the inner cardstock leaving me with a helmet that's as symmetrical as I can achieve and properly aligned. I guess the same thing can be done for foam though. Just export the pdo to maya, extrude the mesh inwards to simulate the thickness of the foam, create some crossection planes and export it all back to pepakura designer. However, then I have to redo all the layout and scaling, right? Perhaps I could just export the cross sections and try which scale I need with the already existing foam pattern. That would be the probably be the fastest way.

I'm also thinking about going the 3D-printing route, but it seems I'm not gonna get away with the bondo part and it still has a steeper price tag to it. But it would at least be symmetrical and would obviously go faster. If I were to order it would be 182 USD =/.
I have a friend with a 3D printer though, but I'm unsure what the cost would be even doing it yourself. Any Ideas?

Last edited:
I agree with the notion that you should pick something you're comfortable with and love to death. I find that when I don't love a character enough, creating the costume becomes a lot harder. I finish it either way, but it's much more rewarding when you love a character. Being in-character is easier too. :)

I like masks too, but with Khan I wear so much make-up, that counts as a mask, I find. :lol

So I started the helmet, but beign a 3D artist I wasn't fully satisfied with the 3D model of the helmet. It seemed off in a few places so I started tweaking it. The one I have I will make for my nephew instead.
But being me as I'm indecisive, I saw another design I'm more leaning towards now. It's a redesign of the Storm Troopers that looks really awesome. I wish they would have gone this route with the new movies. They look pretty badass.
http://geektyrant.com/news/star-wars-fan-art-stormtrooper-elite-and-darth-vader-redesign

Hm...Guess I have to make an iron man and a storm trooper, then decide :)

Starting with Deadpool. I have a thread in the Marvel costume/prop section. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=242675

Coincidentally, it comes at a time when Deadpool is THE bandwagon to jump on...but I still love the character regardless. I was going to try to go to the Emerald City Comic Con in Washington last year dressed as Bane, but we moved out of the country, so obviously that didn't pan out.

I know so little about sewing and making costumes. But I've worked with my hands my entire life and I love building things. Since I can't build a car right now, I gotta build something. I've always had a fascination with dressing up like horror movie characters when I was a kid, so why not do it as an adult?!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back