Costum dials homemade Mercury capsule replica/simulator

I have no idea where I'm suppose to post this so please move if it doesn't belong here.

Hello boyz and girlz!

I've got a life project that I'm just starting to draft and put together so I could work on it through the following years. As a fan of the American space program, I always enjoyed rockets and I've always wanted on of my own but a couple months ago I decided to make one. I chose the Mercury capsule because it is small so It won't take too much space and it doesn't have as many switches as the Apollo capsule so it won't be too expensive (also the interior was a little more quickly put together than the Apollo capsule so I won't have to make all the panels in gray with the black writings and everything).

My plan is to connect the switches to a board that with light the annunciator lights and play a sound that match with the current switches ON so in the end you can experience close to what a flight would be.

My current problem is that I want the dials to work so I can monitor the dials during the flight and toggle the right switches accordingly like monitoring the suit pressure and seeing it fail so you move the switch to No. 2 and see the pressure rise on the dial. I've seen businesses that lend capsule replicas for movies with dials that are incredibly close to the real thing. I don't need perfect replicas, just something similar enough that are usable.

Now my question: I know you guys are incredibly ressourceful and can do about anything so how would one go about finding a working dial close to the real thing? Is there some companies that make custom dials on request? Maybe It would be possible to make one from a stepper motor or something? What do you guys think?

Thank you
TheBigBang914

Last edited:
Hi TheBigBang914,

I just finished building a Mercury capsule cockpit over the summer for a short film I directed. For the dials, a few I was able to mod some cheapie analog gauges from eBay, just designed and printed a new backing (see the bottom 3 gauges in the photo below - DC volts, amps, etc). For all the other ones (at least the ones I needed to have move), I just designed them to work with micro servos. 3d printed the fixture and housing. They're all connected to an Arduino that controls them.

IMG_2380.jpg

My whole setup is a dumb setup though. The Arduino just responds to commands that are sent to it off-screen by someone with a laptop. Turn light 3 on, gauge 2 to 50%, etc. One day I'd love to go back and turn it into an actual simulator!

Wow that is actually amazing! Do you have a thread open about it or do you have more pictures? Is it a plastic, metal or wooden board and how did you print the text on it because it looks pretty good!

I thought about 3D printing before but I never had the ressources to buy one or didn't know anyone who owned one so I kinda had to put a cross on that option but I recently learned that I might have a connection at my college that could print things for me so it might still be an option.

I haven't started working on it at all. I'm waiting to get out of college and start working full time but I started gattering information, pictures and drafting some plans on how I'll do it. Could be helpfull if you could provide me with more pictures of yours becaue it looks really good!

Thanks! Yeah I have a thread open about it here: Mercury Capsule set for short film 'Infinity 7'

I got the boards laser cut out of hardboard. I don't own a laser cutter, so I ordered them online. The lettering was rub-on lettering I ordered too. First time messing with rub-on stuff, but it went on really easily.

I had bought a 3d printer just before starting this project. What a great investment! I used it a TON on this project. For making masters for molds, the gauges and pull handles, brackets to hold panels together, etc.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back