Cost of Living

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Scareb, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Check out this 9 minute long mini movie starring Brandon Routh. I quite enjoyed it.

102.1 the Edge - Fearless Fred

For those too lazy to check, it's basically about a military monster clean up crew in a laboratory.

2. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I liked it. Routh can act if you give him a script that isn't crap.

3. ElliotStone

ElliotStone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, that was pretty cool. Brett Harrison and Brandon Routh make a good double act.

4. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch this again. I watched it once a few days ago. I thought it was so so. There were a ton of Alien/Aliens references. But they never showed a monster. Plus, I didn't get the whole setup. I assume this laboratory always has accidents. So, it's kind of like Umbrella from the Resident Evil games except the experiments never escape because of the assault teams.

5. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wasn't that the best thing about it? I know far too many movies that go from "awesome" to "pfffttttttt" once the monster/alien is actually shown.

6. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

7. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I believe it's ok to draw a story out and show the monsters late in the movie. But eventually you should see the monster. Especially since the heroes see the monsters. You would think with all the Alien references that the director would understand that. But perhaps they were trying to be different.

8. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I totally agree, if it's done right. Alien is an example of it done right. Signs is an example of it done horribly.

9. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

True. Signs was good right up to the last scenes. In fact, Signs has a really good scary moment. When the one character is watching TV in the closet. The TV is showing a recording of kids pointing out the alien. The alien knows they see him through the bushes and just walks out. It's a great scene. So, is the bit in the basement when the lights go out.

I watched Cost of Living again and they do show a quick frame or two of a werewolf. I was looking for other quick shots but I didn't see any. There was a scene where Superman (Brandon Routh) pulls his partner away. A mirror is in the shot but they only showed slime...I wish they were clever and showed a shot of a creature leaping before getting killed. Overall, this short feels very student film or like a DVD extra exploring characters in a movie.

10. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!! That was GREAT! Anyone complaining about not seeing the monsters doesn't get it, it's not about the monsters, it's about the poor schleps the Security Guards.