Corvo Mask. Arkane Studios / Bethesda Softworks Dishonored Video Game

wiIIiam

Hello RPFers! I've been copying props I like, and using the RPF for reference for a few years now, but have never actually contributed anything to the site myself. So, starting my new years resolution a little early, I've decided to start posting pictures of some of my projects.

This is my (almost) finished version of Corvo's mask from the game Dishonored. I'm sorry the pictures aren't perfect, I'm in need of a new camera, but have tried to get the colours as accurate as I can.

The scull and 'mechanical' brass pieces were sculpted in clay, before being cast in a 2 part resin and painted. The 'steel' plate repairs and jaw are appropriately messed up aluminum sheet; brass and aluminum jewelry wire for the details, and a hessian (burlap) and fo-velvet for the lining.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg9.jpg20131028_194619.jpg20131028_155835.jpg

Sorry about my image quality again, the brass pieces are duller and more authentic in the flesh.

There are a few pieces still missing at the moment.

The game model has a frame inside the mask which supports it. To make the mask wearable (one of my conditions while problem solving it) I instead opted to have a piece of leather across the forehead, hidden under the red velvet lining. This has made it difficult to fit even a cosmetic frame inside.

There should also be a machined brass ornament in the big circular gap in the forehead. Besides milling a piece of brass (not something I can do) I'm at a loss to finding a solution which looks good enough. A guy at my maker space has offered to 3d print a piece for me, but I'm unsure what I think of the quality of desktop 3d printers.

I'd love to hear what you think of it, don't be afraid to say if you think parts could have been made better, in a different way (I only make things like this to learn, and I always end up with a list as long as my arm of things I would have done differently.) And most of all, I'm happy to nerd out over the tiny minutia of making.

3d printers are perfect for the job, all you'll need to do is sand down the piece a bit and add some filler, paint and finish! other solution i can think of is to make it out of design foam,which would take a lot of time. how much would he charge you for the 3d print though? looks great so far!

I second laxman - even if the 3D printer copy is grainy, you can sand it down and make it look how you want. Probably a much easier option than fabbing it yourself. If I was going to make the piece, I'd use sintra. It is available in 2, 3 and 5mm thickness. It is easy to cut and heat form, sand and paint.

By the way - huge Dishonored fan, and you've done a great job on Corvo's mask!

Brent

Hard to say, I got the impression he would do it as a favor, but I haven't seen him since. I don't know a great deal about 3d printing to be honest, i just worry by the time I've filled and sanded a piece, i might as well have started from scratch.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to Google sintra, and found something similar I can get in the UK, it looks interesting. I'll defiantly try it out. And thanks; yeah it just goes to show how good games can be when developers take a bit of a risk, and try something new.

hey that looks pretty damn cool! the mechanical pieces on the side are really good for having been clay! if you have managed to do them in clay you probably wouldn't have much trouble doing the brass disc on the forehead the same way as the rest of the mask. Take a quick look at the one I did, I managed to do the brass disc in clay but not the mechanical pieces!l

hey that looks pretty damn cool! the mechanical pieces on the side are really good for having been clay! if you have managed to do them in clay you probably wouldn't have much trouble doing the brass disc on the forehead the same way as the rest of the mask. Take a quick look at the one I did, I managed to do the brass disc in clay but not the mechanical pieces!l

Hey, sorry my first post was a bit misleadingly vague. The side pieces are stacked up card and bits pulled from an old printer which i poured some silicone over to make a simple mould. Will defiantly check yours out.

Hey, sorry my first post was a bit misleadingly vague. The side pieces are stacked up card and bits pulled from an old printer which i poured some silicone over to make a simple mould. Will defiantly check yours out.

Ah! you had me thinking you were extremely skilled with clay! still, whatever works is good! another suggestion for the brass disc, if you can find a bowl or vase or something with the right kind of inside base, you could press clay into it and then carve that to get a good start, failing that, as others said, 3d printing would be good! wish I had a 3d printer for mine!

Thanks for the recommendation, I had a play with sintra (or something similar my local model shop stocks in the UK) and it is quite a nice material to mess around with. The head decoration isn't perfect, but I'm happy with it for the time being at least (paint job was a bit dodgy), and might try making some kind of frame with the foam too when i get a chance.

20131230_215932.jpg20131230_215941.jpg20131230_215952.jpg Phone pics

Attachments

• 20131230_215932.jpg
    20131230_215932.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 154
  • 20131230_215941.jpg
    20131230_215941.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 20131230_215952.jpg
    20131230_215952.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 157
  • 20131230_215932.jpg
    20131230_215932.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 154
  • 20131230_215941.jpg
    20131230_215941.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 149
  • 20131230_215952.jpg
    20131230_215952.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 165
Looks great, just found the thread while looking to make a Corvo Mask myself. only thing I would say is that Personally I would have weathered that bottom jaw with acrylic. it seems too clean and a few dabs of blackening would really set it in the Dishonored world.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back