Corporal Rostock Build Thread

ID10T

Sr Member
Good morning everyone.

Although I have a few things going on, this costume will be completed before Christmas (this year!) perhaps even in time for Halloween.

Corporal Rostock fits as an idealized character in my mind from Rogue One. Although he was not utilized as a sharpshooter/Designated Marksman/Sniper, it is a character I relate to (and he is supossed to be a sniper, but was used as infantry, which is a foolish tactical decision, but whatever...)

So let's get to it!

Corporal Rostok (2).jpg
Corporal Rostok 3 (2).jpg

These are the main reference images I am working with. I am also getting immense support from a RL member, Patricia, who has done massive research on these "Scarif Marine" characters (and made a few herself). I would not be nearly as far along without her help!

So, the "shopping list" is as follows:

Khaki hat w/ radio greeblie (yellow color on bottom)
Dark Tinted CEBE 15 goggles
RFT (Rebel Fleet Trooper) or Andor style shirt in tan/beige/coyote/brown color (not seen on screen, but based on other characters)
Brown Jacket (same as Cassian Andor)
Tan flack vest w/ yellow marking on right shoulder
Crozo 2-mal comlink on flack vest (same as Cassian and Jyn and everyone else)
Tan PLCE belt (inside-out) with "roll buckle" (most tan ones come with the plastic clip, so you have to order a buckle separately)
Right belt bag is the British 37 pattern Mk. III ammo pouch.*
Left belt bag is the Greek/US Army Thompson Magazine pouch. Not sure what's inside them, but I think it's topped with a pulley or something.
faJYrhM (2).jpg

(Image of another Marine, but it shows the Thompson pouch contents well- what are those???)

Brown BDU pants (knee pad top stich detail running vertical) "Sherriff Brown" is the color to look for. "Coyote Brown" is not dark enough.
Brown leather boots (Rockport side zip ankle boots seem to be the best base) with added spats and ankle cuffs
Marine Boot Base.jpg

-left cuff has a metal buckle doing nothing on the back (see first picture; also below)
-right cuff has two loops for PolyPlumb 10X15mm adapter fittings, in case of emergency battlefield plumbing need.
Boots 10.jpg

Blaster rifle is an A-300. An M4 airsoft would be a great base for this. I found a pattern for drilling the PVC pipe for the barrel cover. I'll probably just print/have printed the thing.
Sling is 1" nylon/cotton in tan, with simple sliders at each end for adjustment. I am planning to use some of these Quick-Release swivels on the rifle:
1 inch QR swivel.jpg

The "cup" mounts flush so the rifle is clean when the sling is detached.

*"Mk. III" version is important, because of the closure style (you can see the "frog" pull tab in the first image). RL has a different pouch noted, but after searching and studying (and conferring with Patricia) this is most likely the pouch used. BUT, there seems to be two of them- one right on top of the other, and that smaller sized pouch is elusive. I think perhaps, it is another of the same pouch, cut down, or otherwise modified, to create the look we see... Please help if you can! There aren't any good images of the pouches beyond these, unfortunately.

So, this is not an "inexpensive" build, but manageable. If you can make the soft parts, you will be in great shape. Since I can't do that, I have to rely on others. I will detail what I end up with for each item below (prices below include shipping/tax to me for the most part):

Belt buckle (new) eBay $7.32
Belt (new) eBay $37.50
Boots (used) eBay $40.40
Leather to make spats and cuffs Tandy $80.00
Polyplumb fittings (new) eBay for like $40!!! Due to shipping cost. I found a 5-pack of 90-degree 15mm connectors on Amazon for ~$20 (free shipping from the UK) which gives me 10 of the "top nuts". I plan to cut them and mate to PVC to create the length with the correct nuts on top.
Right bag (new) local Army-Navy $7.00 (I bought a second used one as well) Maybe one is right behind the other...
Left bag (used) eBay $35.07
Goggles (reproduction print from Italy) $109
Pants (new) Rothco BDU local army-navy $40 (I'll update with final cost once they arrive)
Shirt [TBD] One comes with the eBay jacket; $120.00 from Magnoli. Low priority as it is not seen with jacket closed...
Jacket [TBD] eBay has one that's reasonable* ($75) but it needs modification (which will cost me money- if you can sew, it might be a good option!). Magnoli WL version ($250 + shipping) is looking attractive... I have reached out to get an idea on lead time.
*Watch the strobe stripe style! Some sellers have a strip of lighter material that is top stitched across (which does not look right at all) and others have the strobe stripe, which I think they make by stitching small pieces of strap across the strip of base fabric. Not exact, but it looks better.
Vest (new) Etsy 20eyes design $172.29 (she is modifying her pattern to more closely match the images I provided)
Vest Transponder (new) Etsy $31.50 (could be printed for less)
Hat (new) Etsy Mr. Hemmings $189.83 (pattern is $12 if you can sew- I heard it's a big job from Patricia, who has made a couple, however)
Hat Radio Etsy Mr. Hemmings $20.00 (could be printed for less)
Rifle [TBD] (this may be the piece that pushes me over the edge to finally get a printer...)
Sling (new) eBay Swivel kit is $11.00 and 1" tan sling is $8.50 (may use a tan belt/sling from the local army-navy if they have long enough at a better price)
Com Link (new print) Etsy and eBay have them around $12.00 if you can't print them. I want one that lights up like the screen used so this is a sub-project.

I received and dissected the belt. God willing I’ll be able to sew through the 37 layers of material with waxed thread and a saddle stitch.

30ED2AC7-B39D-449C-BFE0-283E63C92638.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back