Copyright and architecture, buildings in movies

DaddyfromNaboo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey folks,

I remember that there were some problems with a Spiderman poster and a famous building being shown.

Was it the flat iron building or the empire state building?

Does anybody know where to find more information on that topic?

I know that production companies are paranoid when it comes to copyright issues, even designer furniture needs to be "cleared" so it can be shown.

Thanks,
Michael

IIRC, it was the towers; there was a poster of Spidey spinning a web between them catching a helicopter. It wasn't a copyright issue, but that the towers were gone.

I remember there being an issue with the Matthew Broderick Godzilla flick about a building being shown, the Chrysler building, if I remember. The Chrysler corporation allowed the building to be used but only if Godzilla didn't knock it down. I thought they had him go through it, or it got hit by bombs, or something like that.

I work in games and I know that some buildings / landmarks that are iconic can be protected by law or government. If you really want to use it, you have to license it and apply for a right to use it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back