Converting an Estes TIE Fighter rocket NEW PICS!

jvasilatos

Sr Member
I was never too pleased with the size of the Ertl TIE cockpits so here is my conversion of an Estes TIE Fighter model rocket kit, utilizing scribed styrene sheets for the solar panels and adding cockpit detail to the hull. More pix to come.

JV

TIE_COMPARISONS.jpg

TIE_HULL_2.jpg

TIE_HULL.jpg

TIE_BACK.jpg

TIE_SOLAR_1.jpg

TIE_SOLAR_2.jpg

TIE_SOLAR_3.jpg

Looks Good.. I Have a few of those also, i have always liked the size.
Are you going to use the window frame from the Vader tie?

For a rocket the detail on the wings isn't too bad.

Cool.

I didn't realise Estes did the Sci Fi versions of the rockets. I thought they just did rockets.

Which reminds me...

I'm having trouble finding places in the UK that stock Rocket Motors. I need something below a C because i live close to an airport.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry about the thread Hijack.

Ste.

Ah yes, i remember seeing the Enterprise at a toy fair.

Thats pretty cool. Do they fly well? Or do they just break up after take off?

They dont look particularly stable.

Some before and after shots (this is the second Estes TIE conversion I am doing so I will have two matching standard TIEs.)

TIE_6.jpg

TIE_5.jpg

TIE_8.jpg

TIE_7.jpg

TIE_1.jpg

TIE_3.jpg

TIE_4.jpg

TIE_9.jpg

TIE_2.jpg

Like I said, I prefer the look of the these thicker scratchbuilt wings to the Ertl kit but tell me what the rest of you think.

This matches the scale of the Ertl X-Wing also.

I'm now going to convert the Estes Vader TIE rocket so that I have his ship in scale to these two also. Then maybe I will do a trench diorama.

JV

Great job. I may have to pick one of those up. Is the detail on the Estes Vader tie fighter decent? Keep us updated on the progress of that one as well.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back