Contacting 3 foot 7 Art Department, anyone have their info?

dropshipbob

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am trying to track down info on a cup that was made for the Hobbit. We don't see it on film, but it's in a "making of" book. First I thought it was made by WETA, but I contacted them and they said it was made by 3 foot 7 Art Department. I've tried looking them up on the internet but I can't find anything on them! Just a few mentions on a blog here or there, but they don't seem to have a website, facebook page...nothing!

If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear it.

IIRC, that's one of the internal names for the Hobbit movies...

Have you tried contacting any of the concept artists that may have designed it?

I contacted WETA through their FB page and whoever it was that I "spoke" with said their lead artist said that piece was created by 3 foot 7...that's all I got.

I think it could seem like they were giving you the run-around with that answer (probably not intentionally, though).

I also believe that "3 Foot 7" was how the Production of "The Hobbit" referred to itself internally. There was no *company* called that - an Art Department was put together for the film production, and that department generated the designs (including the props) for the films. The designs would have been sent over to Weta Workshop for fabrication. Since the piece that you're interested in wasn't used for the film, that's why Weta wouldn't have had anything to do with it - they didn't generate the artwork.

When the production of "The Hobbit" was over the Art Department disbanded, and everyone went their separate ways. The task would be to figure out who the members of the Art Department were and to try and track them down.

Yes, that sounds about right. I would try finding the set decorator if you can - often they're involved with non-action propmakes so they might be able to point you in the right direction. There will have been lots of art directors for different parts of the film so going via one of them may be less direct.

How do you find out who the people in the art department were? Are they listed in the credits of the movie? And where would I go from there...a google search?

I'm sorry, I've never done something like this before.

I'd start with imdb.com - you can look under "full cast and crew" and I'd look at each individual movie as well. If you find some names that look like they could be promising, you can then do a search to see if those people might have blogs or personal websites.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back