Contact Lenses

Studio Stasis

Sr Member
So, I know of a LOT of places online that are selling contact lenses, and I know this thread topic has been visited so many times in the past. I just know that at some point in the near future I have to buy contact lenses for a dark jedi character that I'll be portraying in a fan film and I have to figure out what his eyes look like. Without giving too much away, the character is blind. I was considering getting some scleral white out contacts but I realized that it would be QUITE difficult to complete scenes with lightsaber dueling with my eyes blinded by white contacts.

I was considering the option that I could get white ones with a black pupil so I could see at least, but that would probably not have the same effect. The character fights with his lightsaber even though he is blind, in the same way that Luke fought the training remote with his blast sheild down. He doesnt even really give his opponents eye contact when he fights, but capturing that on film is going to be so difficult if I cant see. Any ideas? Perhaps some shots could be done from a profile shot and the eye that the camera can see will have a contact and the other will not. For full frontal shots I dont think I have a choice but to wear both lenses though.

Josh

wear goggles...

Jayn

ps-seriously, I work in the haunt industry & have heard all of the stories.. There's no lens that I know of short of white outs, that would give you that look. the "Blind"/ cataract lenses really do blind you.. any chance of a post prod. cg fix?

Well, you could always go the route of the Miraluka from the old republic days. They are born without eyes and wear short veils or other concealment to keep the fact from wierding 'normal' folks out too badly.

Kinda like goggles, but more like tanning bed eye covers without the bands... like little pods surgically attached right over the eye. I've seen a few different designs for items such as those over the years, and it always looks decent

Of course, you could use those nasty, hazy, whitish contacts for close-ups of Blindy McShuteye and go lensless and change your eyes in post for medium and long shots

There are always many more options than meets the eye... no pun intended :D

Why not get a piece of cloth, and tie it like a blindfold? If you use the right cloth, and tie it the right way, you should still be able to see, and it'd give a neat look.

Failing that, milky lenses are about your only option. You can get them with varying degrees of tint... You just need to find one that's a fair balance between seeing and looking good.
Full sclera lenses are gonna be hard to wear ANYWAY. I'd be more inclined to hunt for normal sized lenses with a partial tint.

actually there are a pait of white contacts that you can see through that more or less cover your pupils. A guy at comic con I met was wearing them, They were awesome. They were not completley white, they were crosshatched white, but i couldnt see his pupils or anything and he said he could see fine, and he must have cause he was walking around just fine lol. I can try to se where he got these if you want. Heres a pic. He's in the back with the Jason Todd Hush costume.
JasonToddcontacts.jpg

Originally posted by TimDrakeRobin@Feb 18 2006, 07:18 PM
He's in the back with the Jason Todd Hush costume.
JasonToddcontacts.jpg

[snapback]1187825[/snapback]​

Is there someone in the back? I can´t see past the Aviator girl there....

lol yea there is someone else back there. Big tall guy with a gun... red mask and white contacts.
Is the brightness down on your screen? Even with the brightness all the way down on mine I can still see it just fine. Odd.

Originally posted by TimDrakeRobin@Feb 19 2006, 03:25 AM
lol yea there is someone else back there. Big tall guy with a gun... red mask and white contacts.
Is the brightness down on your screen? Even with the brightness all the way down on mine I can still see it just fine. Odd.
[snapback]1188039[/snapback]​

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Just kidding:)

And yes, the suit´s very recognizable as Jason Todd. I was considering the possibility to make one of those from Hush, but then again, a custom Batman could be great too. I just have to get rid of some projects I`m working on and I´ll be back on track with DC characters - my favorite ones.

But Tim, clarify me too - Did he tell you where to get these lenses? They are pretty much what I believe Animetronic wants... (and a Bat-suit would benefit from them as well.)

By the way, congratulations again on your suit. Seeing it up close makes me see that it´s a real work of art.

lol. Na I havent heard back on the lenses yet. I will let you all know when I do.
Thanks about the Robin suit. Glad you like it. Lots of hard work went into it.

There's a chance I will do something alien with his eyes but I may not have him look blind. I was thinking of Rutger Hauer in "Blind Fury". His eyes appeared normal but he had no vision. I think it may play out better for the characters expression to have pupils as well. I'm still interested in these contacts though. Keep us posted.

Josh

I spent a lot of time looking around for costume contact lenses for my predator costume and eventually found quite a few places that I could buy them. Luckily I didn't do any damage to my eyeballs, but based on the first hour or so of wearing the first one, I would recommend you have a professional size and order them for you. There is a science to it that takes some schooling.

That said, I agree with a few of the other comments on here. You should definitely just look for a pair that will white out the irises and do the pupils in post production. If you only plan on making the eyes all white then scleral contacts, in addition to being overkill, will be infinitely more uncomfortable.

Incidently, I bought my lenses through pimpindeals.com. They carry the full line of Crazy Lenses, including white, black, red, sith, and more. If you get some and blind yourself, don't blame me.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back