Contact Adhesive/Cement.

Not sure about the Mod Podge but tandyleather.com.au sell a contact cement called Tanners Bond designed for leather work. They state that it is made for them by Barge. At the moment I have not tried it so I can't comment on how well it works. HTH.

I'm also Aussie, I've seen mod podge for sale in Spotlight occasionally, and I know there are Aussie ebay sellers who carry it. The adhesive I use for foam fabrication is the Parfix gel bond contact adhesive, it's so much easier to use than the liquid ones and gives a great, flexible bond. Just coat both surfaces lightly, wait for them to turn slightly opaque then press together. Great stuff!

Grouse, cheers fallimar! Yeah I've had no luck at Spotlight mate. I'll suss out ebay though (otherwise I'll just DIY it with some PVA, clag 'n H2O haha). Also Bunnings is a quick trip around the corner so I might grab a pot of that Parfix stuff and order some Tanners Bond.

You know I've never actually seen anyone use "grouse" before. Must be more Australian over that side of the 'straya :p
Yeah, mod podge is easy to find online. If you're interested also and want a flexible foam coating, I've just started using the rust o leum brand peel coat (also from bunnings in the spray paint bit) to seal a little ninja turtle shell I'm building for my son, works a treat if you ever need an alternative to plasti-dip :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Blimey! It's probably just my native Victorian tongue. However the use of the crudely abbreviated Australia ("'Straya") in bogan dialect really grinds my gears. I might be a bit of a knucklehead but strewth mate... *shakes fist*

I like 'Pasti-Dip' but I'm always on the hunt for alternatives/equivalents (the cheaper the better :darnkids). I've used 'Rust Oleum' products before, great brand. I'll defiantly give his 'Peel Coat' a crack. Cheers again!

P.S. If you think of anything else just drop me a line. :D

- - - Updated - - -

***this

Oh, forgot my disclaimer - **'straya and all other bogan vocabulary used only in the spirit of irony and jest, any association to actual bogans or boganism are coincidental and... profoundly disturbing**

Also you may have just invented a rather wonderful euphemism with "giving his peel coat a crack". Naturally, referring to peeling a banana. Of course.

Seriously though, loving the peel coat. The detail on my shell was simple but fine and I was worried it might gum it up, but even with three heavy coats it's still just as visible.

hahahahaha of course! ;):cheers

Anyway, "banana" jokes aside, do you think you'll be uploading any photos to your facebook on the progress of the turtle shell? I'd be keen to see the progress.

Oh, sure! It's pretty rough, I know he's going to destroy it so I'm not making it amazing or anything but you can see it if you like! I'll grab photos when I can, though it's pretty tricky photographing black rubbery foam. I'll give it a shot.

Well I am currently using Kwik grip which is also a contact adhesive. I've just built a helmet using a small tube to test it out. It's pretty good and works exactly the same. Tough as as well - tried to pull some test bits apart and ended up ripping the foam a fair way back from the seam. very flexible as well.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=kwik grip&redirectFrom=Any

As for Modge Podge and a sealer, I just use PVA with a little water if it's too think. Just grab some from Bunnings while you are there.

I've used Plasti-dip for past work and it's not too bad. Can get cans of it from Autopro now. Never tried any other similar alternatives.

About to give Smoothon 65D a go for coating some stuff - so will see how that goes.

Well I am currently using Kwik grip which is also a contact adhesive. I've just built a helmet using a small tube to test it out. It's pretty good and works exactly the same. Tough as as well - tried to pull some test bits apart and ended up ripping the foam a fair way back from the seam. very flexible as well.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=kwik grip&redirectFrom=Any

As for Modge Podge and a sealer, I just use PVA with a little water if it's too think. Just grab some from Bunnings while you are there.

I've used Plasti-dip for past work and it's not too bad. Can get cans of it from Autopro now. Never tried any other similar alternatives.

About to give Smoothon 65D a go for coating some stuff - so will see how that goes.

Yeah, kwik grip gel bond is just as good. Most contact adhesives seem to work just fine, really. I loved the bostik one years back, just a pity they don't seem to carry it any more.

Cheers Dezziedc! I'll see what Bunnings have in stock. Gonna experiment with a few of the brands that have been suggested so far and attempt to write up a definitive "Australian Craft Shopping List" when I'm done. Let us know how the Smooth-n stuff works for you. I've used their resins and silicon, great products.

P.S. I gather you'll be ordering the 65D from Rowe Trading?

Actually I ordered it on line from a place called polymech. It's not the actual Smooth-on product but basically the same thing - Liquid Hardcast Polyurethane. They are based in Victoria.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back