Connecting hilts and/or blaster components?

phantomPENGUIN

I'll try to make sense of my mind here.

Duel swords / lightsabers. If I were to use them I'd want the option to connect the hilts but don't want super obvious clips or threads. I also want strong connections if I decide to hit things so magnets probably wouldn't work.

For some reason the idea of quick release connectors for hydraulic pipes popped into the chaos if my head. It's a plausible idea for hiding how the hilts would connect. One hilt with concentric circles and the other slightly tapered and thinner - Definitely strong since they can handle high pressures and definitely low profile

What do you guys think?

Also I don't think they exist, but elongated/oval connectors should work the same way and would be great for matching grips. Does anyone have the ability to make them?

Also (Again), this idea could work for hiding barrel extensions, etc. For blasters like cassian Andors, that can be pistols and rifles

I think that made sense but feedback and suggestions are useful for further brainstorming

I like the blaster idea! Are you talking about the air hose type of connection? Like air couplers?

I like the blaster idea! Are you talking about the air hose type of connection? Like air couplers?
I think most air couplers use bayonet style connections. I'm thinking flat end hydraulic ones. One way to make the blaster functional would be to have a hole going straight through, instead of keeping the check valve too

A fan-made Darth Maul saber I have has a threaded hole in either end and a thick 3 inch threaded rod for connecting them. I think it needs to be long and big enough just to withstand the weight of the saber, not to mention the forces from whirling it around. They could still come undone though, so I would like a latching mechanism also if possible.

Years ago, I made sketches for making an Asajj Ventress saber with spring-loaded integral plugs, but I found it too complicated to make. One idea was to have a spring-loaded plug in a threaded end (that could be pushed in) and a spring-loaded rod in the other (that would start to come out by pushing a button/lever).
Then you could put two flush endcaps together, press the button and just twist the lightsabers together.
However, I'm afraid that the machining could become quite complicated, and with such large rods required there wouldn't be much room for electronics (if you'd want that).

A fan-made Darth Maul saber I have has a threaded hole in either end and a thick 3 inch threaded rod for connecting them. I think it needs to be long and big enough just to withstand the weight of the saber, not to mention the forces from whirling it around. They could still come undone though, so I would like a latching mechanism also if possible.

Years ago, I made sketches for making an Asajj Ventress saber with spring-loaded integral plugs, but I found it too complicated to make. One idea was to have a spring-loaded plug in a threaded end (that could be pushed in) and a spring-loaded rod in the other (that would start to come out by pushing a button/lever).
Then you could put two flush endcaps together, press the button and just twist the lightsabers together.
However, I'm afraid that the machining could become quite complicated, and with such large rods required there wouldn't be much room for electronics (if you'd want that).
The issue I have with using threads to screw things together is they take time to screw, although an idea could be to use a coarse/wide thread and have a small catch on the recieving hilt to stop the thread unscrewing.

An example of my idea is a garden hose. Pull the outer sleeve back and you can disconnect the hose from the tap quickly. But despite (usually) being cheap plastic, they're really strong. I plan to use the shape of the hilts to help reinforce the connection and stop the hilts from spinning freely.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back