Confessions of a "comic-con costume" virgin

grendel64

Okay. So I had my first real "pred suit wearing experience" over our long weekend here in Canada when I took my suit to the Manitoba Comic Con.
Aside from a few test fittings, this was my first time really wearing the whole unit for any length of time,
and I thought I'd post my experiences for those who might be nearing their first outings...(and to perhaps give a chuckle to
the more experienced preds here).
So Saturday I suit up, all nervous but excited too. I'm not a terribly outgoing person and am unsure of what to expect from people when in costume.
(A friend of mine, who actually had an artists table at the con, was a real trooper, helping me to get suited, then guiding me around the con till I took it off. )
We decided to put it on at the hotel, since it only a block down from the convention center. Got suited up, and hopped on the elevator.
On ground floor, elevator doors open, I step out, and promptly trip over the wheel of a stroller that a woman had decided to park directly in front of the
elevator while waiting for it to come down.
Luckily I didn't fall down, just stumbled a bit, and muttered an apology to the obviously ticked off woman. Ok, so far so good(?).
Get out of the hotel with no further troubles and walk down to the con. Feels very surreal, people are slowing down their cars to look, wave, honk...
Get to the convention center and am deluged outside by folks arriving, leaving or just having a cigarette..."Predator! Predator, can I get a picture?"
"Hey" I thinks to myself. "This is kinda cool...!"

Get into the hotel and hop on the escalator to the second floor. So busy watching the folks watching me, that I failed to notice
the top of the escalator....my foot catches the lip and yup, down I go.
Can't see a damn thing as I struggle to my feet, but I do hear someone in the area call out "Predator down!
Predator down!" which I actually found pretty amusing under the circumstances.
Sheesh. Get to my feet in time to see a bunch of security folk converging on me and my
profusely apologizing friend who is babbling "I'm so sorry, I should have told you to step up? are you ok?"
My first thought upon seeing the onrush of security is uh oh, what are we doing that we shouldn't be doing....but nope, it's cool..
"Predator, can we get some pictures? Can you stand in the security center? Can you hold this guy up against the wall?"
More pictures, more people, then it's up to the actual convention floor.

I get to the main lobby before the convention doors and am hit by a barrage of photo requests.
One older woman accused me jokingly of being "fresh" as she stood next to me for a photo. I think I poked her with my
blades but I couldn't see well enough to be sure. Oops!
Ok, in to the convention proper. More calls for pics, lots of people gathering around. I felt so weird! It was like being the
center of attention but being invisible at the same time. I mean, no one could actually see ME, you know?
Anyway, sweating up a storm, my pred hands are actually collecting water in the fingertips which I have to dump from
time to time. (Yeah, I know, it's gross, but what are you gonna do?)

Now, I had signed up to enter the costume contest, but had some concerns. You had
to be at the convention center by 5:00, in costume, for the contest which started at 6:00 and ran till around 8:00.
I just wasn't convinced I should be in suit for that long, especially on my first outing, so in the end I asked to be
removed from the contest. Was that a collective sigh of relief from the other costumers? I think so
So after about an hour and a half all told, I slipped into the men's room and changed back into my clothes.
I left the con feeling like I was walking on air, so pumped to have had such a cool experience. I have to say,
I can see where this might become addictive.
What would i do differently? a few things I guess, but mainly I wish I had posed more dynamically. I did pose
better as the session wore on but unfortunately my only pics are from the beginning of the prowl.
I would just like to send a shout out to all the sellers who sold me my bits and pieces over the
past many months...Biohunter, Ruffkin, Dan, and several others.
Also a huge thanks to everyone who has posted how to's, or tips and tricks, or "what to know
before you suit up" type threads. Your contributions have all been invaluable as I got ready to
prowl for the first time.
So yeah, thanks everyone...what a blast!
On to the pics...only two at the moment...

con3.jpg

con2.jpg

If I can find any photos of the costume taken by others, I'll post here. I did ask folks to send the pics they took to an email addy, but so far nothing has come through.

Mike

con3.jpg

con2.jpg

Suiting up at a con is like crack! You cant wait for your next fix. Sounds like you had a great time. A successful hunt none the less. Congrats man! Nice write up. Bring yo ass to San Diego Comic Con 2009 for "the big show"! Suit looks great.

My artist buddy is supposed to be going to San Diego next summer (he goes each year)...he's been trying to get me to tag along. Who knows? I'd love to go!
Mike

Yeah i did chuckle,...visibility is generally poor in costume, minders are lifesavers as the other hunters will confirm.
Hell my first suit up i sidestepped off the stage at a compition!! **** did that hurt!
Great report and even better you had a ball
Another successful hunt!

Sounds like you had a great time there!
"predator down" great read
And yeah, coming to SD really pays off for an unique experience. Good luck with gathering more pics!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad folks here enjoyed the read.
I sure would love to hit SDCC, it's been a grail trip for me for years, long before getting into pred costuming.
Big ol' comic scifi geek at heart.
I just noticed yesterday that the Manitoba Comicon Facebook page has a photo of me in costume, along with another costumer, as thier profile pic...cool
I will be wearing this costume as it is for hallowe'en then I'd like to start swapping out bits and pieces
till I can build a full on P2. I'm kind of looking forward to redoing the suit and am sure I will post results down the road
if it all works out. Anyway, thanks for reading!
Mike

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad folks here enjoyed the read.
I sure would love to hit SDCC, it's been a grail trip for me for years, long before getting into pred costuming.
Big ol' comic scifi geek at heart.
I just noticed yesterday that the Manitoba Comicon Facebook page has a photo of me in costume, along with another costumer, as thier profile pic...cool
I will be wearing this costume as it is for hallowe'en then I'd like to start swapping out bits and pieces
till I can build a full on P2. I'm kind of looking forward to redoing the suit and am sure I will post results down the road
if it all works out. Anyway, thanks for reading!
Mike

Grendel,

I am glad you had a good time, and hope to see you at SDCC

Yes, cons are a blast and addictive.... at SDCC we couldn't wait to get suited up..... and then when the big day came, when the people were asking for photo-ops, it is like we were celebrities.... speaking of minders, you gotta have TWO minders, one on each side to clear the path....
At times, even I was helping out with that.

---
Ei'luj

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back