Concept VOY Mk VIII Tricorder

Eric Ardros

Sr Member
This is another project I wanted to post about here, now that the graphics work is pretty much done:

I've had this one in mind to do as long as I have the "In Service" Cardassian PADD, though back then I didn't have the skills to scratch-build one. Now I do, lol. Below is a pic of my template:

Though it may not be immediately noticeable, there are some minor differences between the top and bottom templates.

The top one's layout is exactly the same as the coloured sketch I posted, but the bottom one has a few details shifted around, mainly the panel beneath the viewscreen. I decided on the bottom template as I like how the LEDs are spread out better.

I plan on building two so I can have both a Science and Medical version. Might even see about getting someone to do up electronics for them. As with my "In Service" Cardassian PADD, I think I'll use 1/8" thick sheet styrene for this build too. It'll make for a sturdy build, but still allow room for electronics.

And here's a pic "ecl" sent me of the almost-done Mk VIII graphics:

Comparing what he did up to Sternbach's coloured sketch, they look pretty much identical, imho.

I've managed to get the main panels cut out in two thicknesses, 1/8" for the base shell and 1/16" which will lay over top the thicker styrene to make the recessed areas:

Let me tell you, cutting out the openings in the 1/8" thick stuff was more difficult than I expected :p I managed with the larger openings, just have to carefully shape the smaller LED cut-outs.

I noticed that the main panel for the flip-down door seems to be longer than the 1/16" layer that will be going on top of it. Don't know how that happened. I'll have to go back to my templates to make sure which length is correct.

Eric,

is is there no end to the awesomeness?!

it reminds me of when TNG first aired, I was 6 years old and started making tricorders out of cereal boxes. I cut the faces and sides with scissors and used pencil crayons to colour in the details, then stuffed with paper towel. So many memories.

Great work, as always!

Thanks, guys!

I've always been a fan of this concept design ever since I first saw it years ago, and given the level of proficiency I'm now at with my scratch-building skills (and having a go-to graphics guy who could whip up a set of graphics for me) I decided now was a good time to get going on this long-overdue project.

I'm glad I did, because it's sure been fun :D

We're actually now looking at what to do for the set of medical screen graphics so I can have both the Science and Medical variants in my collection. Going to be pretty kewl seeing these sitting side by side, knowing no one else has ever had these in thier collection before.

This is an awesome project! I've seen the concept art before and thought it would be a cool, unique prop. I look forward to seeing how it comes out.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back