Conan's Sword (the Original movies)

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
RPF'ers,

So I love movie props, and I love the HISTORY of movie props. And one of the props that I realized I know NOTHING about is Arnold's Conan Sword.

:thumbsup
sword_of_conan_framed_zps104a1a14.jpg

Is there a history out there of the Sword's design, creation, facts from the movies, and where the original swords are now?

I just realized how much I love those Conan movies, how I love the sword and how I'd like to know more about it. :)

Thanks!

----Chuckster

I know this is slightly off topic but in the trailer for Arnie's new film where he's a sheriff has anyone else noticed as they're getting weapons a guy holds up a sword that kind of looks like the Conan sword? I couldn't pause it when i saw it on tv but I thought maybe it was an inside joke.

Oh thank God! It could be the medication from the minor surgery I had today, but I was very afraid that this thread may be about something else.

Sorry, Chuck. Sorry for doubting you, man.

hahaha I was just wondering about the sword. My wife said, "Who made Arnold's sword?" I said, I have NO idea.

And she was like "Whaaaaa?"

So I had to ask you guys!

:lol

Oh thank God! It could be the medication from the minor surgery I had today, but I was very afraid that this thread may be about something else.

Sorry, Chuck. Sorry for doubting you, man.

I know this is slightly off topic but in the trailer for Arnie's new film where he's a sheriff has anyone else noticed as they're getting weapons a guy holds up a sword that kind of looks like the Conan sword? I couldn't pause it when i saw it on tv but I thought maybe it was an inside joke.

It got a similar-ish design around the end of the blade, but it's definitely not the same sword. But might have still been an in-joke.
Schwarzenegger has one (or the) hero sword from the film I believe, it would have been cool if it made an appearance...

On another topic, I LOVE the way the sword is displayed in the first post. The two pegs holding it balanced so the blade is just floating in space, that's a really cool idea.

Albion swords' movie division, filmswords, makes painstakingly accurate, fully functional versions of these swords using Jody Samson's original molds for the bronze hilt pieces.
Arnold owns a couple of these himself:
FilmSwords.com - The Swords of Conan
inbox2.jpg

You can also get non-liscenced versions of the swords from talented custom sword makers, like Brendan Olszowy at Fableblades. The hilts on these swords were scultped and cast by Jeffrey Robinson, and are sharper and cleaner than the Albion swords hilts that use the original molds.
In The Name Of Crom & The Antidiluvian - Custom Functional Conan Swords by Fable Blades

Gotta be honest, I have a CTD Knockoff, and for a knockoff, it's a seriously nice piece of work, heavy but well balanced. The day it arrived via UPS was a very happy day for me indeed, as I had loved that sword since I saw Conan for the first time when I was 16. I Love when he emerges from the throne room, cuts the chains, looks at the dogs, then next scene he's wearing a Dog suit.

I own an Albion made Atlantean sword reproduction, the sword weighs in at around 9 pounds.
Beautiful workmanship with flawless bronze castings. The Atlantean was designed by Ron Cobb who was a production designer he also made a cameo appearance in the film.
My only regret is not ordering the Fathers sword to go with it.

Al

While we're on the subject, does anybody know where these drawings come from? And if there is a better resolution floating around?

click for larger version (1995 x 1851px, 2.5MB)

I've never seen them, but that is pretty sweet. Where did you find them?

While we're on the subject, does anybody know where these drawings come from? And if there is a better resolution floating around?

click for larger version (1995 x 1851px, 2.5MB)

I've never seen them, but that is pretty sweet. Where did you find them?
I saw a much smaller one a long ago, then tracked this one with Google. Found it on DeviantArt.
I wonder from which book or magazine does it come from... A movie artbook, perhaps?

I have found that MOST of the art of DeviantArt is original, so I would not assume that this is official or from a magazine or book. It could be a fan. I really couldn't say unless I was able to write the artist who had it on his or her page.

But I wish you luck finding it. Maybe start another thread in the appropriate forum? This is specifically about the topic of the original sword, not artwork. Good luck though!

I saw a much smaller one a long ago, then tracked this one with Google. Found it on DeviantArt.
I wonder from which book or magazine does it come from... A movie artbook, perhaps?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back