CONAN THE BARBARIAN (1982) Wheel of Pain Model Part 1

Samyth1206

Jr Member
From the remains of the Emilio Ruíz del Río model, I decided to build a model as similar as possible to Emilio's, but also as similar as possible to the original wheel of pain that appears in the John Milius film.

Years ago, I bought the original remains of the authentic Wheel of Pain that appears in the film and since I have many original parts it was easy to reduce the measurements.

Image of the plan with the measurements taken to start the model.

1.jpg

First I decided to make the top ornament consisting of four Viking-inspired heads with a wild animal on top, a wild boar?

Here you can see the modeling process of the plasticine figure.

Little by little all the most important details are being made.

2.JPG
3.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

The next thing is to make a mold of this figure and then get a plaster copy equal to it, the purpose of this plaster reproduction is to be able to improve the details.
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.jpeg
13.jpg
14.jpg

Once the figure is made in plaster, the details are worked on to leave it almost finished, such as the typical cracks in wood, etc ... In plasticine, such small details are very difficult.

15 (1).JPG
15 (7).JPG
15 (8).JPG

Then we make another mold again and then make a final copy in polyurethane resin. The polyurethane resin gives a very good result, the figure is very strong and solid and it can also be carved to finish it.

17B.jpg
18.JPG
19.jpg

20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
24.jpg
26.jpg

We do the same again for the wild boar figure until we get the final copy in polyurethane resin.

27.jpeg
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.JPG
31 (1).JPG
31 (2).JPG

We couple the two figures as they are in the original Wheel of Pain.

33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg

The next thing is to paint the figure so that it imitates wood as best as possible.

36.jpg

Another laborious process is adding the strings.
They are rolled up little by little until they cover the piece just like they are in the film.

38.jpg

Other details are also added such as the star-shaped poles that can be seen in the film and the fixings for the support of the bridge.
40.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpeg
44.jpeg

Finally we add a layer of transparent varnish to give greater firmness and make the whole set more compact.

And we already have the first part.
45 (0).JPG
45 (4).JPG
45 (5).JPG
45 (7).JPG
45 (8).JPG
45 (9).JPG
45 (13).JPG
45 (1).JPG
45 (20).JPG
50.JPG

Attachments

• 31 (2).JPG
    31 (2).JPG
    988.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back