Conan The Barbarian 1:1

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by IeatherfaceIX, Apr 24, 2012.

1. IeatherfaceIX

IeatherfaceIX Active Member

My Conan The Barbarian bust. the bust was a T-800 , Stan Winston casting. I wanted to transform him into Conan. The bust was painted by Erich Lubatti. The Glass eyes were made by Jim @ Tech- Optics. The hair is a tad darker brown than I wanted, but works well. Enjoy.

Michael

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The sculpt & paint job are magnificent, and those eyes are creepily life-like !!

So I was wondering why I was wondering what on earth could be wrong with it :confused

As you say, its the hair. And it's the easiest and cheapest thing to solve. The colour has to be a lighter shade of brown, fuller, and the hair-style has to be wavy and rough.

Change the wig, and instead of an astounding bust, you will have a PERFECT one :):thumbsup

[​IMG]

3. Owens8176

Owens8176 New Member

Yes what he said. You'll have a A+++ bust on your hands

4. Weequay

Weequay Well-Known Member

Yep its the hair thats off.

Is that bust resin?? That is the most perfect paintjob I have ever seen.

5. Hermes IPT

Hermes IPT New Member

This simply incredible ... But the hair was a little strange, you will change the wig? :)

6. IeatherfaceIX

Thanks everyone. it is resin. and the wig was the best I could fine at the time. I like it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  7. IeatherfaceIX

different wig and updated pics.

8. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Howard did not sculpt it . It is a Stan Winston Casting that he purchased and offered to customers. Great job though!

9. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Wondered when someone would get around to this. ;)

Great job, and ditto on the hair needing work is accrate. The example of wavy and rough shown to you is from Conan the Destroyer, though, and not accurate to the scene you're he's in that you're going for. You're actually closer than if you were going for the Destroyer version look.

10. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed :thumbsup

All that is needed is to rough it up a little and give it a slight perm / wave :thumbsup

[​IMG]

11. IeatherfaceIX

Thanks guys. I think its about where Im happy with it. Thanks STREETJUDGE79 for the info. And yes, I was going for the bottom pic that I also have, not the top " Destroyer" pic. And I cant give it a wave due to it being Synthetic. Now I need a THULSA DOOM bust!

12. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Looking at it more, I think he needs a bit of that white paste makeup applied to get that movie look of white and black.

Even with synthetic hair, you should be able to rumple it a bit and hairspray to lock it in place.

Very cool display all around and glad to see someone finally did one. I've also always wanted to see someone sculpt a 1:1 Frazetta version Conan bust from that painting where he's leaning on his sword atop a mountain of dead enemies while a girl is clutching his leg.

13. Garth

Garth New Member

Thats awesome!
    As every1 else said rough up the hair a bit so it doesnt look so girly and it will finish it off nicely

14. Leigh

Leigh Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think this is Amazing!! & an Awesome idea changing a Terminator bust to Conan (y)thumbsup:thumbsup
    My only critisism as others have said would be the hair style.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  15. Demoriel

Demoriel Member

Doing likeness's of people is difficult, and doing celebs sets you up for peoples crits, as everyone has their own opinion on a celebs likeness. I think it looks very very good, congrats!

16. IeatherfaceIX

Hey thanks for the kind words. Im very pleased with it.

17. IeatherfaceIX

Thanks everyone. to be honest, im not real worried about the hair being 100%, or I would have had one custom made. Its close enough for me. Im very happy with what it is. The nicest Conan bust Ive seen. Thanks again everyone.

Michael

18. chuckyAPP

chuckyAPP Sr Member

Very cool idea, but the hair issue is up to you, we are all perfectionists here. You can lead a horse to water as they say.

19. IeatherfaceIX

played with the hair a bit. got most of the curl out and roughed up the top.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  20. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WRONG! CONAN! What is good in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!

Amazing piece you have there!

21. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Better! And I agree, it's one of the best Conan busts I've seen. Come to think of it, it may be the only one I've seen. :)

22. made007

made007 Sr Member

Yeah i think its a first :)

23. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

Much better. Looks a lot less girly, man. :p

24. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

The hair takes your eyes away from the sculpt because it looks like he got back from the Salon and got the Jennifer Aniston blowout with highlights. You need a lighter color and sort of curly hair hanging straight down. I would find the right wig and actually take it to a womens hair salon and let them style it, other than that the sculpt is awesome.

25. CaptainVermont

CaptainVermont New Member

Incredible... your work is genius!

26. jw3032

jw3032 New Member

I have to agree, genius

27. IeatherfaceIX

Thanks everyone. Erich did a great job on the Painting.

Michael

Leigh likes this.
  28. Nial

Nial Active Member

I really like this bust so much and it's styled (paint wise) after my favourite scene in the film. Yeah the hair isn't perfect but ok and works. You can always keep a look out for others and if one comes your way replace it. The display with the snake medallion is great. and the bust looks super lifelike.

29. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

He painted his body white as well. ;)

30. wilysteve

wilysteve Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That actually turned out completely awesome. Congrats!

31. IeatherfaceIX

Thanks Nial, Clutch and Steve.

Michael