Conan closeups?

These guys seem to have a nice rolled edge technique...

jason

I see they have a request for custom work there. I wonder if they'd be interested in making a Conan style headband? The request form doesn't include a way to include photos so I'd probably have to link them to existing photos or use a photo hosting site or hope I could include them later in an email exchange.

That still leaves the question of the rivets, though. They might need to be custom made as well if there's nothing out there that matches the originals exactly. The ones used on WestLeatherCraft are actually fancier than the real ones.

EDIT: I went ahead and sent an inquiry about it. I'll see what they say.

Last edited:
They look like simple pyramidal / circular studs/rivets, which seem pretty common. Between these:

and these

you'd probably be most of the way there - just need to figure the dimensions and get everything lined up...

jason

Capture.PNG

They look like simple pyramidal / circular studs/rivets, which seem pretty common. Between these:

and these

you'd probably be most of the way there - just need to figure the dimensions and get everything lined up...

jason

View attachment 1335690

I wonder why the guy from West Leather Craft couldn't manage to get more accurate rivets, if they're that common? I certainly mentioned it to him at the time. He didn't reply to that part of my message.

I've always wanted to build this piece.

The Pyramid studs have a really unique ribbed texture.
1597204649302.png

Good shot of the thickness of the center strap-
Conan_Destroyer_1984_Screenshot_0303.jpg

Shot of the Back closure area-
Conan_Destroyer_1984_Screenshot_0201.jpg

Nice shot of the thickness from the top-
Conan_Destroyer_1984_Screenshot_0098.jpg

Looks like one of the round studs popped off at some point-
Conan_Destroyer_1984_Screenshot_0426.jpg

Cool Shots from the head band from Conan the Barbarian. Notice the small forehead studs are in a slightly different pattern. I think it must've got repaired or altered between movies.
conan-the-barbarian_3ecb0afe.jpg

conan-the-barbarian_AqHfeW.jpg

In fact It looks like the front studs were completely replaced with a more domed variety compared to the Barbarian style.
front-studs.jpg

front-studs2.jpg

Attachments

• Conan_Destroyer_1984_Screenshot_0426.jpg
    Conan_Destroyer_1984_Screenshot_0426.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 141
Another interesting aspect of this head band is that when is was first built for the scene in Barbarian the forehead strap came down much lower. Looks like it was rebuilt quickly on set while shooting.

ench03.jpg
enchA01.jpg

I’m convinced that the top and bottom ribbed parts are a completely separate piece of leather.

I agree.

The technique used on the linked hat above looks perfect in my opinion.

That technique on a thicker main strap would create a perfect effect. The edges would square up nicely and you could tuck the forehead strap underneath the top rolled edge.

I am curious as to how the rolled leather pieces are finished on the back. Glued down perhaps?

1597273478977.png

Last edited:
Subverse Industries responded. They said if I can find the correct decorative rivets for them, they can make a custom (correct) rolled Conan headband for $500 + shipping. That's about what I paid for the Horn of Dagoth and about 7x the price of the one I got from West Leather Craft.

Just noticed something.

Thorgrim's helmet during the final battle is built in a similar way as Conan's headband.

THis helmet was auctioned and you get some nice closeup shots of the construction of the leather.

1599982214823.png
H3257-L96344520.jpg

H3257-L96344506.jpg

H3257-L96344514.jpg

Also the title of this thread should be renamed if you want more eyes and brains on it. It's kinda vague and univiting for a good research thread.

Hi there,

great thread – unfortunately dead since 3 years. I want to build a 'conan the destroyer' headband myself and the pictures here are great as reference. I will start a new thread about my progress, if someone is interested in some further details ...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back