Con safe Arrow Bow?

Mark K64

Looking to do an Arrow build this year. But I'm stumped on the safe non security ball busting bow route. Anyone have any insight on this? I don't want to drop the money on a bow if I'm going to get stopped at the door.

Most weapons policies forbid functional weapons. The nice thing about a bow: no string, no function. If you want to to purchase/make a true replica bow for yourself, but also want to be able to bring it to cons, just remove the string before attending the con. Unlike other weapons that could be misconstrued as being real from afar, an unstrung bow immediately poses very little threat.

Only problem with the above suggestion is that an unstrung bow doesnt look very much like a bow in the case of recurves or longbows.

Also removing the string needs to be done by a professional. If you dont have the right equipment, it could be very dangerous!

I did some internet hunting on the subject and found quite a bit about using pvc pipe as a base. Once you heat it up with a heat gun you can pretty
much bend it to any shape you want. Just google "pvp cosplay bow"

If you really wanted to make it look extra nice you could sandwich the pvp between two layers of foam mat and then cut and carve it to its final shape.

Also removing the string needs to be done by a professional. If you dont have the right equipment, it could be very dangerous!

This is true only for compound bows - for which you can't take the string off and on in a few minutes. On a recurve or a long bow, it can be strung by the archer win a few seconds, given that the archer knows how to do it correctly. At most, a stringer aid can be used, but such aids can be carried in a pocket or something.

Yea looks like i'm going to have to make it from scratch. Appreciate it fellas.

You can make a decent bow from scratch using PVC. this guy on youtube has great build videos that I have used. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_U6Yek0YgKHN_A-iTAwZbg

Just bend the bow to the strung position at the get go, then put on an elastic cord, and you're pretty much good to go.

If you're planning on an "Arrow" season 1 bow, and you have the riser (handle) cut out from wood, you can make the limbs out of PVC and just bend them the same way as they would if it were strung.

The "Con Safe" Bow is practically a myth.

Every Convention has different rules, thoughts and staff. Some say unstrung bows only, and yet while there you will see SEVERAL compound bows, and recurves. Myself, I went to two very large conventions recently with my Arrow Costume and took my Season 1 bow. Zero issues strung. They checked the ARROWS more than the bow. I did Dragon Con in 2012 with my PSE Mojo Smallville bow, also strung, also no issues. They also checked the Arrows.

Realistically that would be the issue anyway. A strung bow is no more dangerous than a foam sword without arrows. The one largest convention wanted to Weapon check my PKE Meter, though...

The point is, there is no such thing. If they want to, they can send you on your way with a fake PVC-limbed bow, or custom foam weapons. One convention stopped someone with a fake baseball bat and foam nails in it, but allowed Airsofts. It is a mixed bag, but don't ever think that one option is more con safe than another.

I have a season one bow with son friendly limbs, but it's like Primrodo said every con has different rules they key to not being stopped is how you act and carry yourself, if you're being a dick and aiming the bow fully drawn at people you'll get tossed out or have your bow taken off you, if you act sensible you'll more then likely be fine.

The limbs i made for my bow are just plastic pipe i heated and flattened then cut to the same shape as my other limbs then heat and curve them to look as they should when strung.

This is my bow with the con friendly limbs.
10409370_684794531614060_8248240917272904457_n.jpg10543629_10153604843873532_5008800405343787309_n.jpg

Appreciate the input gents. I've had some experience with weapon checks lol I've got away with stuff I definitely shouldn't have. And Pinder, I'd prefer season 2. Btw I've been all over that arrow thread. It's going to help me a bunch. Thanks man.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back