Con Photos: Star Wars Fan Days IV

James Kenobi 1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I didn't see anything posted about Star Wars Fan Days IV this last weekend, it was October 8-9 in Dallas Texas (at the Irving Convention Center).

I went and only saw three other RPF'ers, ran into Pauleysolo in the 501st room, and RPF'ers Chris T and Chris R. I did see a lot of usual 501st'ers and TDH guys from local Cons.

Photos from Dallas Comic-Con FB Page:
Dallas Comic-Con - Photos | Facebook

2 Flickr Set's from the show:
Fan Days 2011 - a set on Flickr
Fan Days 2011 - a set on Flickr

My photos are here:
Star Wars Fan Days 2011 album | James-Kenobi-1138 | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Here are a few of mine: (I dressed as ANH Darth Vader for the show)
IMG_1685-vi.jpg

I did run into RPF'er scruffyrebel who was working the 'Huges the Force' booth.
IMG_1694-vi.jpg

366592437_32286535_104909465_o-vi.jpg

I like this one:
855701910_1047219_1014403125_o-vi.jpg

RPF'ers Mr. Sparkle and lonepigeon:
IMG_1711-vi.jpg

Star Wars Muppets:
IMG_1826-vi.jpg

Going Artsy:
IMG_1858-vi.jpg

If anyone else made it to the show, post up some photos.

Were your hands glued to your belt? :)

It's the 'best' Vader pose without a lightsaber. Plus, if you take one picture with me it looks good, if you look at 50 different pictures of me in the same pose it looks odd. If I had been doing a 'photoshoot' I would have mixed-up the pose a little.

Also, being so far from 'Prowse size' it's the most flattering for my costume. (I'm trying to make the best of what I've got). I know my Vader is far short of many on the RPF, but I can't tell you how many little kids were so excited to meet 'Darth Vader' and get a picture. I was smiling ear-to-ear all day.

Last edited:
It's the 'best' Vader pose without a lightsaber. Plus, if you take one picture with me it looks good, if you look at 50 different pictures of me in the same pose it looks odd. If I had been doing a 'photoshoot' I would have mixed-up the pose a little.

Also, being so far from 'Prowse size' it's the most flattering for my costume. (I'm trying to make the best of what I've got). I know my Vader is far short of many on the RPF, but I can't tell you how many little kids were so excited to meet 'Darth Vader' and get a picture. I was smiling ear-to-ear all day.

So maybe you're not "Prowse size", but I still think you look menacing, James! And I agree, that birds-eye pic of you in the crowd is way cool. :thumbsup

Btw, did they have a muppet Chewie? I see what appears to be one in a small photo in the foreground of one of the photos, but I'm wondering if they had an actual one on display?

The Wook

Sorry, it's just after SO many stormtrooper grabbin' the belt pics, that's the first thing my eyes are drawn to. :)

Must be nice to go to a con and be able to stretch your arms out as wide as you can and NOT touch anyone. Don't get me wrong, I love the SDCC, but I miss shows like these.

I dig the Vader costume, and especially the pic with the evil-looking, skeletonized R2. I agree that the bird's-eye shot is cool. I also see a KotCS Indy walking around down there.

Here you go clutch, a photo without my hands on my belt.

As mentioned earlier in this Thread I stopped by the table for lonepigeon and Mrsparkle, who co-illustrated the 'Darth Vader 3-D Reconstruction Log'. It's in stores and online now and is less then $20.

lonepigeon (AKA Chris T) took this photo of me with the book:

resizebookphoto-vi.jpg

There is an awesome overview of the book here:
TheForce.Net - Latest News - Vader: A 3-D Reconstruction Log Out Now

And having some fun with a little Jedi:

366592437_32295511_344441020_n-vi.jpg

Wow, are the fan days just losing any kind of popularity it once had? It looks like a ghost town (relitively speaking, of course).

Wow, are the fan days just losing any kind of popularity it once had? It looks like a ghost town (relitively speaking, of course).

Bad weekend for D/FW.

State Fair of Texas is open, it was Texas/OU weekend with the game at 11:00 Saturday, and the Texas Rangers had a 7:00 Play-Off game on Saturday and Sunday night.

The crowd would ebb and flow throughout the day, I remember it seemed pretty packed mid-day but when the Billy Dee Williams and George Takei Q&A started it became much more empty on the floor.

And I forgot it was a holiday weekend with Columbus Day on Monday.

Great weekend to get out of town with the kids out of school for 3 days, some schools (like the ones my kids are in) were off Friday with a Fair day and had a 4 day weekend.

Fan Days could not have picked a worse weekend to have the biggest local convention.

Ah, good question.

This is in the new Irving Convention center, 8x larger at least by sq ft, and though there were 3x more people than the largest prior fan days, it easily holds 14-15x more, like what we had at May's Dallas ComicCon.

I thought it was plenty packed, I think I took 300 photos easily from 11:30 to 3:00. The bigger venue is great and I love the extra space. I really think we'll grow to fill that place up.

I do really wish some of the 'big names' like LFL, Hasbro, Sideshow, Gentle Giant, LucasArts, and Cartoon Network had neat booths like the San Diego Comic-Con.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back