**COMPLETED** Y-Wing 1/48 resin model

Cool A-Wing image! Nice halftime show for the main event.

"They must be droids sir. Those fighters have no pilots!"
"Whoever built them did a fine job"

Cool A-Wing image! Nice halftime show for the main event.

"They must be droids sir. Those fighters have no pilots!"
"Whoever built them did a fine job"
Ah, you caught me! I rarely include the pilot figures in my models, as I'm utter garbage at painting small stuff like that. As is evidenced by my R2 unit here...

And SPEAKING of that...

Here are the final photos of this model! Overall I am very pleased with how it has turned out. There are a few flaws (don't look too close!) that I am VERY aware of, like the back hatch on the fuselage not fitting properly, as well as a few other fit issues here and there. But hopefully you don't see those things when you take it in as a whole, you know? Anyway, onto the photos!

IMG_7010.jpg

IMG_7011.jpg

IMG_7012.jpg

IMG_7013.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7029.jpg

IMG_7031.jpg

IMG_7034.jpg

And a few comparison photos with the Bandai 1/72 model:

IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

IMG_7045.jpg

There are more photos over on my Flickr if you're interested: 3D Printed Resin Y-Wing in 1:48 scale

Well that wraps up this build! It has been almost a year since I started printing this thing (started last May), and I learned a LOT in the process. Mostly about the tolerances of resin-printed parts. If I ever do another one of these (looking at you, Red Jammer), I'll combine a lot of the pieces in the computer, that way I'll avoid the headache of trying to fit all of the pieces together, and sanding and filing and sanding and filing....

Anyway, thanks for following along! It's been a fun journey!

SB

Really beautiful work StevenBills, hard to tell what scale it is in the photos until you see it with the Bandai....looks Studio Scale

Love the paintwork & photos,....so what's next?

J

Very fine work on this one. Really like the engine lighting and the paint job. Great final show case pictures.
All around a fine display piece you can be proud of.

Beautiful work! I hope to get a resin printer soon and build one of these. This thread will be invaluable :)
Thank you! Please learn from my mistakes, as I made plenty of them along the way! :lol:

Really beautiful work StevenBills, hard to tell what scale it is in the photos until you see it with the Bandai....looks Studio Scale

Love the paintwork & photos,....so what's next?

J
Ah thank you! That means a lot hearing that from you. I honestly just aspire to be as good a builder/painter as you are! Your 1/24 Y's are incredible, and your Randy Cooper Blockade Runner...!!!!

As for what's next... I have been building an old ERTL 1/48 Naboo Starfighter, and recording the process. So watch out for a video of that here soon. (The image below is pre-polishing, so there's some dust and hairs in the clear coat):

IMG_6236.jpg

That is just fantastic, and I'm glad you finally have the 1/48th scale Y-Wing you want. The paint job is just beautiful.
Thanks man. It's been a long time coming! Now Bandai has my permission to release one in 1/48! :p

Very fine work on this one. Really like the engine lighting and the paint job. Great final show case pictures.
All around a fine display piece you can be proud of.
Thanks Hagoth! I'm hoping this becomes more than a shelf-queen, if you know what I mean. I need to figure out a new composite photo that I can make with it where it can be front and center... But rest assured, you WILL be seeing it in more of my photos!

SB

And while I'm here, I know that there have been some people who have expressed interest in me selling them a kit of this in 1/48. Well, I have been in contact with Chris Bibby (who designed this model), and he has granted me his permission to do so! My intention at first would be a VERY limited run (maybe 5 to start), and then go from there. Would there be any interest in something like this still?

SB

Oh man! I just ordered an Ender-5 Pro, so that is my hobby budget for the next month or two but keep us updated. It's hands down the best Y model I've seen. I'm definitely tempted. If I'd only taken that more bankable major in college....

Im sorry to have not been around long enough to see your progression but seeing these pictures this morning has me all giddy.
I mean, you made this! WOW.
And how much a larger scale enhances everything and brings it to life.
Really nice work bud!

Also price permitting would be interested in a kit. However due to size, time and material and even turning a small profit to make it worth your while I can see it becoming quite expensive very quickly. It would be a one off however so that has to be taken into consideration.
Cheers,
Josh

Last edited:
Very nice Y-wing! Since I am not familiar with the model you could tell me that is the original ;-). You only see the flaws because you built it.

Man, I gotta learn how to take these kind of pics. Think I have to buy a better lense first for my Nikon d5300, most people say the standard one sucks

And while I'm here, I know that there have been some people who have expressed interest in me selling them a kit of this in 1/48. Well, I have been in contact with Chris Bibby (who designed this model), and he has granted me his permission to do so! My intention at first would be a VERY limited run (maybe 5 to start), and then go from there. Would there be any interest in something like this still?

SB
That is fantastic news. I'm making my own model but I do have an interest in contributing to what you offer if you would like. I'm still doing a custom made canopy (been on hold for a couple weeks) with a more correct look and perfect fit on Bibby's model. I have the two versions blended (Bibby base and DaveG top profile) and I'm now adding new window holes and details. Would you like to include it?

In for 1, price permitting.

Oh man! I just ordered an Ender-5 Pro, so that is my hobby budget for the next month or two but keep us updated. It's hands down the best Y model I've seen. I'm definitely tempted. If I'd only taken that more bankable major in college....

Im sorry to have not been around long enough to see your progression but seeing these pictures this morning has me all giddy.
I mean, you made this! WOW.
And how much a larger scale enhances everything and brings it to life.
Really nice work bud!

Also price permitting would be interested in a kit. However due to size, time and material and even turning a small profit to make it worth your while I can see it becoming quite expensive very quickly. It would be a one off however so that has to be taken into consideration.
Cheers,
Josh

I'd be interested in a kit. A question, though: Does the Bibby model include landing gear, and you opted for "in flight" as your build? Or will I have to source that elsewhere?

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'm working right now on getting an interest thread setup over in the Junkyard for the kits. I'll post the link here when it goes live, hopefully later in the week!

SB

EDIT: Inquisitor Peregrinus I neglected to respond to your question: No, the Bibby model doesn't come with landing gear, and isn't really equipped for it. Unless you REALLY want to dig into the resin...

Last edited:
Been working with StevenBills on a new made-to-fit canopy for the Bibby Y-Wing model (subject of this thread) with the look of the DaveG version he used for it and he suggested that I share the progress on this thread. Here is the latest I have so far.
Windows side.jpgWindow Profiles.jpgWindow Rear.jpgNew Profile C.jpg
The canopy sections now line up with the cockpit body panel lines which gave the windows better ratio proportions. The rear is still a little wider than might be accurate from what I can determine with research of the SS models but it fits the Bibby cockpit back plate which I did not want to get into modifying since it would cascade into many adjustments across lots of parts. The turret mount is done just not shown in the windowed shots. Will still be adding in the slight bevel around the window openings and the front windscreen hole along with the panel line details. I hope to finish up what's left late this weekend.

The intent is for this to be the canopy option for the Bibby model that StevenBills will include with his kit offerings.

Been working with StevenBills on a new made-to-fit canopy for the Bibby Y-Wing model (subject of this thread) with the look of the DaveG version he used for it and he suggested that I share the progress on this thread. Here is the latest I have so far.
View attachment 1451847View attachment 1451845View attachment 1451846View attachment 1451850
The canopy sections now line up with the cockpit body panel lines which gave the windows better ratio proportions. The rear is still a little wider than might be accurate from what I can determine with research of the SS models but it fits the Bibby cockpit back plate which I did not want to get into modifying since it would cascade into many adjustments across lots of parts. The turret mount is done just not shown in the windowed shots. Will still be adding in the slight bevel around the window openings and the front windscreen hole along with the panel line details. I hope to finish up what's left late this weekend.

The intent is for this to be the canopy option for the Bibby model that StevenBills will include with his kit offerings.
That's fantastic!
Could be challenging for the pilot in space though having to hang out the window to see where he's going :p haha.
Cheers,
Josh

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back