**COMPLETED** Y-Wing 1/48 resin model

StevenBills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all. I've run into a few conflicting numbers surrounding the official length of the Y-Wing. I am 3D printing a 1/48 Y-Wing because Bandai didn't do one, and I want to get the scale correct.

The official Star Wars databank says that the Y-Wing is 77' long. This works out to be 19.25" long for a 1/48 model tip to tip. The Wookiepedia article, however, states that the Y-Wing is 53' 3" long. This works out to be about 13.3" long.

However, I dug my 1/48 R2-D2 out of my Bandai X-Wing kit and measured the diameter of his dome, and it's 8.9mm across. Scaled in proportion to the rest of the ship, that makes it 18.2" tip to tip.

So my question is, which one is the correct length for a 1/48 Y-Wing model? How long are the "1/24" models? Anybody know? (And I put 1/24 in quotes because the scale was based off of the Airfix pilot they used for shooting).

Anyway. If somebody wants to check my math, that'd be great. Just want to get it right.

SB

The problem sometimes with those source measurements is what parts are included in the length. Is it to the tip of the guns for example.

Just having the guns longer could change the scaling. Likewise something might look right based on scaling from a pilot, but if you have the rods to long on the engines, or maybe you set the engine back to far or to short and the whole thing changes even thought he cockpit area might be to perfect scale.

It might be better to scale individual sections separately instead of trying to fit an overall length

So in perfect world, making a perfect copy of it in every way, then the measurement of length can be accurate, but I would go more for what looks right based on a 1/48 pilot and R2 unit. After all, that is how we wind up with a Bandai 1/72 A-Wing that is clearly way bigger than 1/72 simply because they blindly stuck with official numbers

I also have an unbuilt Nice-N 1/24 Y-wing, I’ll measure individual parts tomorrow, and post measurements.

Since the Saturn rocket is a solid know size, I'd go off that to scale the whole thing out.
All's you need is it's diameter.
The Saturn V first and second stages were 33' in diameter and the Airfix kit is 1/144 scale, of course I don't know how accurate the kit's size is.

OD of the original Airfix SaturnV cans are 2.75”.
OAL of the Saturn cans used on the Y-wing was 6.5”. This does not include the dome from the cut down LEggs pantyhose container.

If you need any more measurements from the 1/24 Y-wing, let me know.
I also have a bunch of original parts to measure from.

The Saturn V first and second stages were 33' in diameter and the Airfix kit is 1/144 scale, of course I don't know how accurate the kit's size is.
OD of the original Airfix SaturnV cans are 2.75”.
OAL of the Saturn cans used on the Y-wing was 6.5”. This does not include the dome from the cut down LEggs pantyhose container.

If you need any more measurements from the 1/24 Y-wing, let me know.
I also have a bunch of original parts to measure from.

What do you know! 33' x 12" per foot divided by 144 = (wait for it) 2.75" exactly. Sure you didn't cheat Jkirkon? ;)

So I don't know if I want to go by 1/24 measurements. I think I'm going to go with Bandai's measurements and scale them up. For instance, the head of the 1/72 Y-Wing is 60mm long, so in 1/48 that would be 90mm long. I just want it to match in scale with my 1/48 X-Wing.

SB

I would base your scale off the pilot figure and the R2 unit. If those look comparable to the X-wing pilot and R2 (I assume the two models will eventually sit side by side), an inch or so give or take in overall length won't matter. It will look right. Scales on fantasy spaceships are a moving target anyway.

I would base your scale off the pilot figure and the R2 unit. If those look comparable to the X-wing pilot and R2 (I assume the two models will eventually sit side by side), an inch or so give or take in overall length won't matter. It will look right. Scales on fantasy spaceships are a moving target anyway.

Yeah My first scaling test prints were with the R2 unit, and I got it pretty darn close. Close enough, anyway.

SB

Its my understanding that all of the y-wings were a little different form each other - as such the length is a bit different for each one. but if you go by "about" 1/2 of the length of the 1/24 model you choose - you should be good... If you trust the math of Bandai's 1/72 version measure and multiply everything by 2.67 and you should be darn close.

Jedi Dade

Just turned this thread into a build thread. I'll be posting pics of parts as they come off the printer. Just pulled these two parts off this morning.

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

SB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back