[COMPLETED] Trapper Wolf - The Mandalorian Season 2

Detaleader

Hey there folks!

I think I finally settled on my very first Star Wars costume. I've decided to go for The Mandalorian's Trapper Wolf in his Season 2 attire.

Sadly, so far not much research seems to have been done around the appearances of Carson Teva and Trapper Wolf. I think they're rather interesting, as the costumes appear to be mixed together out of OT style and Rogue One style costumes.

As such, I'd love if you guys could help me out a bit on the hunt for items - some Greeblies in particular!

I've taken plenty of screenshots to try and back these up as best as possible. However, I'm not super experienced when it comes to pilots - any input helps!

Let's start of by first saying: We don't have a whole lot of references on these two, as they only appear in a few scenes. We will have to speculate a bit when it comes to Trapper Wolf in particular. As such, I would like to imagine that we can simply fill any gaps we have on Trapper Wolf references with Teva's outfit. It's pretty fair to assume that these both are on the same production and thus the parts used on the costumes *should* match.

First, let's get some reference in here and the obvious things out of the way. My references are from a 4K Source for the most part, but for some reason the Screenshot tool I'm using does not like the HDR application on 4K. As such, many of the images will have washed out colors to them and not look *quite right* when it comes to color grading. I opted for the 4K Source however, as it will simply aid in finding details up close.
SM2gMuC.png

Flightsuit:
The flightsuit itself appears to be an Original Trilogy style suit. It very clearly lacks the sheen and "puffy" look found on the Rogue One/Mando Season 1 suits.

The Compad appears to be in Rogue One style as well, simply due to the sharp detail on the pad itself.

There are three Code Cylinders inserted for both Pilots. However, upon closer inspection I found that both Pilots have 3 separate Code Cylinders, none of which appear to match the OT Cylinders.

V1WVlTv.png

From my research, these also don't appear to match the Rogue One cylinders. What are these? Are these props we already know about? This is where I'm really stuck and have no idea how to get my hands on these - other than fabricating my own 3D files and printing. This is a step that I would like to avoid if possible however.

Gloves:
Like seen in Reference Image 1, these are clearly Rogue One gloves with the "mini" Compad on top of the glove, as well as on the flightsuit itself.

Flak Vest:
I believe this to be an OT Flak Vest. Interestingly, Carson wears his "the correct way", whereas Trapper wears his one backwards/ESB style.

w6rig4G.png

Upon further inspection, I believe these to be closer in style to the Rogue One vests, in particular due to the closures on the sides.

Chest Box:
Please don't crucify me over this, but I'm yet to figure out the actual difference between Rogue One and OT Chestbox. What I did notice however is, that the O-shaped detail on the top of the box is actually a raised piece, rather than just a sticker. The weathering on both Carson and Trapper is slightly different, which leads me to believe that at least two Chest boxes were used during production.

mNeqTw6.png

The Hose coming out of the chestbox appears to be held on with a magnet, rather than a hole in the suit.

At this point, our refernces for Trapper Wolf kind of just end. We have to assume he wears the same style as Carson from here on out.

Harness:
Looks OT to me. It doesn't seem to have the harsh texture found on the Rogue One harnesses?

Upon further inspection, these appear to match the OT harness in form and texture, but not in color. They're clearly non reflective and appear off-white/beige, like you would find on some of the Hasbro toys.

vp57Jbl.png

Belt:
8fL4VMr.jpg

I'm honestly clueless if these are Rogue One or OT styled. Help :D

Belt Flares:
g06FwGe.png

These look somewhat different from the Rogue One Greeblies, albeit similar. If I had to guess they look "fuller" in the middle? Any input would be great here - maybe somebody recognizes these.

After further research, I believe these are straight up Rogue One

Leg Flare:
Too small to tell realistically at this point. I'd likely just settle for OT Flares and Flare Pins. I haven't really looked into the Rogue One counterparts, though that might change in the future?

Upon further inspection, I'm pretty sure these are Rogue One/TFA style leg flares.

Boots:
The workhorse of Star Wars costuming. I'll likely settle for Crowprops personally.

And that's all my thoughts on these so far. If you disagree, please let me know! I'd love to put together an as accurate costume as possible - based on the limited info we have at the moment.

Here's also a link with the imgur Album I uploaded. You'll find the references there:

Thanks for reading and happy Greeblie hunt! :D

Kit List so far:

Helmet:
Black Series repaint. Work in progress, however I might restart because I'm not happy with the new republic cog. I may get a transparent decal for that later on.

20210129_201251.jpg

Flightsuit:
Yet to be purchased, will likely end up on HeroTecX and their X-Wing flightsuit. Not yet purchased.

Flak Vest:
Imperialboots' Rogue One style vest. Ordered, currently awaiting shipping.

Boots:
Grabbed a pair of GDR/Soviet Boots. Sadly not fitting on the calves, so I'll have to replace them. Likely Crowprops.

Gloves:
Rogue One gloves from Magnoli Clothiers. Shipped, awaiting arrival.

Chest Box:
DH-P/FX - arrived and weathered. Just need to find a matching O-greeblie for the top ring.

EyZH5dNW8AM7a2Y?format=jpg.jpg

Code Cylinders:
A friend of mine sculpted three lovely code cylinders for me. An example here:
Cody Cylinder.png

IF there is any desire, I may have these accessible as .STL download later on.

Compad:
For the large compad, I'll likely grab a Rogue One style from etsy or something.
For the smaller one, I had the same friend make a nice 3D file, which I'll likely print in resin.

Harness:
I'll just make this one myself, doesn't seem *that* difficult.

Belt Flares:
I'll likely just buy a type of Hose connector to resemble these.

Boot flares:
Likely a 3D print, which will then later be upgraded to Alu later down the line.

Belt:
?????

The other night I made an interesting discovery.

I believe the helmet used by Filoni is actually a Rogue One Helmet, stripped of some of the decals and then reapplied. Otherwise, the pattern and color scheme are identical. The weathering isn't the exact same, but that may be down to more physical helmets existing than we initially thought.

Blue Seven 2.png

Blue Seven.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-09-02h59m10s865.png

Surely these have to be related at least somewhat, right?

If anything, since we currently have no backside view of the Trapper Wolf Helmet, I'll be using the Blue Seven Helmet to determine the detail on the back of the head, including where the white line heads and how the Mohawk strip ends up on the bottom of the helmet.

Helmet looks great.

At first I thought those 'belt flares' look a bit like bolt extractors except the helix angle looks like basically zero.

BSPE5S_21822~2.png

Perhaps some hangar bolts with the screw section cut off?
31j60QY+ZzL._AC_SX355_.jpg

or maybe some kind of lead screw?

I'm not helping

Helmet looks great.

At first I thought those 'belt flares' look a bit like bolt extractors except the helix angle looks like basically zero.

Perhaps some hangar bolts with the screw section cut off?

or maybe some kind of lead screw?
First of, thanks man!

apifwabw3__07091.1580347513.jpg

This is the best parts I've found so far, which is apparently also exactly the Rogue One parts.

These appear to be Air Line Hose Connector Fittings PCL to Hose. Luckily, these can easily be bought for cheap and don't need any special manufacturing :)

Last edited:
Have you looked here?
Caps of the Asian guy. link

OT style jumpsuit, belt ( silver/grey ) and leg straps ( white ).
Belt is close to the OT style but with updated cylinders and attachment straps.
R1 flak vest (you can tell by the shoulder straps)
Compad is closer to OT style (R1 had glued on button covers)

Green straps on the chest box like OT.

R1 used British PLCE gun belts worn inside out. (Sportsman's Guide sells them in the US, you need to replace the buckle and add the greeblie loops)
Leg straps where made of some exotic hard to find stretchy strapping.

Last edited:
Have you looked here?
Caps of the Asian guy. link

OT style jumpsuit, belt ( silver/grey ) and leg straps ( white ).
Belt is close to the OT style but with updated cylinders and attachment straps.
R1 flak vest (you can tell by the shoulder straps)
Compad is closer to OT style (R1 had glued on button covers)

Green straps on the chest box like OT.

R1 used British PLCE gun belts worn inside out. (Sportsman's Guide sells them in the US, you need to replace the buckle and add the greeblie loops)
Leg straps where made of some exotic hard to find stretchy strapping.
Hey man, thanks for the input!

The screengrab links were very helpful - I wasn't even aware that site existed :D

For the belt, I'll probably grab myself an OT belt and mod it later on to be more accurate on the cylinder loops. I'm also glad my current Chest Box is already with green straps.

Luckily, if I ever need to grab some PCLE belts later down the line, I'm UK based :)

Do you have any compads you'd recommend in R1 style? I've been eyeing the DH-P/FX, they seem to be pretty crisp with the details.

Glad to be of help.

Sorry, no input on the commpads.
I need to make one myself since the one I used to use was made before decent pix surfaced (1997)

According to Cal Pierce of Faraway Creations, the raised circle on the chest box is some kind of metal washer.
I don’t know what size but I believe it’s identical to the Rogue One versions.
That’s supposed to be pretty much the only difference from the OT chest boxes.
(Unless the pointed, round, knurled greeblie here is made of painted plastic instead of machined metal as it was in the original. Not sure about that point.)

Long time no post, so here's a full update from me! I've been a little more active on my Rebel Legion Thread.

6O4s2jX.jpg

Got my beautiful, beautiful Compad from PhiloProps

I've received my Belt and finished my Harness. The harness was made with adjustable height in mind, so no problem there.

The belt was created with the help from Cospl88 on Etsy. I submitted my stitching I found on the Mandalorian style belt and they executed it perfectly for me.

The last big piece remaining is the flightsuit, which I am eagerly awaiting.
As for the Code Cylinders, leg flares and the glove comm, those will end up being 3D printed parts. Stay tuned for more!

With the Flak Vest, I opted for Imperial Boots. The result is fine, but I expected the vest to be somewhat ticker material. Again, not really faulting the maker for this, just my expectation. Are these meant to be *so thin*? Some paint for weathering and I'm pretty happy with the look.
N0xpCUu.jpg

TfHKicj.jpg

Added a Washer to my Chestbox and painted it up nicely
92gJs4t.jpg

Next up, the gloves have been giving me some trouble. I ordered a set from Magnoli Clothiers and they came out absolutely beautifully looking! However, they weren't the best fit and very uncomfortable to wear. I don't really fault the maker for this, just my own hands. I have pretty short fingers, but a pretty wide palm. Bad combo. But man do they look fantastic.
AQuVT17.jpg

I returned these and got a new pair made through Crowprops. They fit like a glove (hah!) and I'm extremely happy with the fit.

OhOHUJp.jpg

7KpkRVJ.jpg

Speaking of Crowprops. That's my source for boots also. For now I opted for boots with the buckle on the side, simply so I could use it on other costumes in the future as well.

great thread! Ill be following here while i make my first Xwing pilot as well... you can see my posts and progress on the Ultimate X-Wing Pilot thread. thanks for the great info!

First of, thanks man!

View attachment 1450983

This is the best parts I've found so far, which is apparently also exactly the Rogue One parts.

These appear to be Air Line Hose Connector Fittings PCL to Hose. Luckily, these can easily be bought for cheap and don't need any special manufacturing :)
i have found many different versions of these connectors for different sizes and different applications. These look like they may be 1/4 inch diameter fittings? I havent seen a good photo of the Rogue One fitting to confirm which quick connect they have... the longer (pictured here) or the shorter version. Do you have any more info on these or the Rogue One screen used ones?
thanks!

i have found many different versions of these connectors for different sizes and different applications. These look like they may be 1/4 inch diameter fittings? I havent seen a good photo of the Rogue One fitting to confirm which quick connect they have... the longer (pictured here) or the shorter version. Do you have any more info on these or the Rogue One screen used ones?
thanks!
The ones I have are 3/8 inch, also available are 1/4 inch ones they're are the closest I've seen to the Screen Used props, I can't remember where I originally got mine from but this website has them available. I still can't decide which ones are the closest though it's quite possible both were used.

(A pic of Andor's Belt Flares, compare with the ones in the links.)

1649813632990.png

Adding to my theory that both types were used, compare the flares in the above post with the ones below worn by other characters, the ones worn by Andor appear to be the 1/4 inch type while the ones worn by the characters below appear to be the 3/8 inch type, this might be just distortion from the quality of the images though.

1649892724670.png
1649892754714.png

It looks to me like they had an assortment that they used whenever they needed some. There are push-on types and threaded types and different sizes and they were put into the costume in different directions depending on wherever the holders were sewn on. Some near the top, some near the bottom, some in the middle. Some on leather belts, some on canvas, some on webbing.
So far i have not seen the different types used together in anything, but i would not be surprised to eventually run across a photo where you see that too.

heres a little comparison i did with different sizes of the air connectors in this thread.

I ordered both the 3/8 and the 1/4 air fittings to see what better fits the belt and i found something very interesting.
The 3/8 will not fit at all.
Now when you order by the base measurement on these air fittings, you are ordering the diameter of the hose inner diameter that the fitting needs to fit inside which causes a slightly problematic issue. The fitting is much bigger than just that diameter of the male portion of the fitting.

I tried to do a photo comparison here to show the 3/8 fitting, the 1/4 fitting, the originally used dowel "flare", and the belt. You can see the size differences in all these pieces. The belt flare loops will need to be altered slightly larger to fit the air fittings if you are planning on using the air fittings. This is to accomodate the larger connector piece "waist portion" which is significantly larger than the hose diameter measurement.

The 1/4 fitting will not fully fit in the loops on the belt already made according to the dowel measurements. It will insert up to the waist portion, but the waist is too large on the 1/4 to slide in without redoing the loops. The 3/8 is in need of its own refit as the neck is already too large to fit in the loop without stretch, and getting it back out is quite a chore... #experience

So if you are making a belt for these fittings, you need to add to the dimensions of the loops by probably @1/8" (for the 1/4 fitting) and @1/4" (for the 3/8 fitting). If you have them already in hand, you can make these fit just right.
Also to add to this.. i realize these are not the exact ones pictured above. Those are euro fittings with a longer neck and these are US. I did not want to spend an extra $30 shipping for every 5 fittings from the UK. The euro fittings are not that easy to find here in the states unless i have not found the right supplier yet.

So when i get some time i will redo one of my belts to accomodate the 1/4 US fitting for the RO use. I can then provide the exact measures needed for these fittings. There will be negligible differences from what is seen outside the loops for there to be a huge problem using the US fitting over the euro version in my opinion.

Note: the bags in the photos are the bags these fittings came in.. i ordered these from Zoro and they came very quickly. They were much cheaper than the other versions i see being sold on Etsy specifically for costume purposes. If you want more info on these fittings let me know!

Attachments

• 20220510_095711.jpg
    20220510_095711.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • 20220510_095824.jpg
    20220510_095824.jpg
    891.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 20220510_095843.jpg
    20220510_095843.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 20220510_095856.jpg
    20220510_095856.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Hey folks! Sorry for ghosting my own Thread for so long. For some reason, it looks like I didn't get any notifications of new posts.

First of all, Rawktrooper and AnthonyD2199 - those are some fantastic finds! Especially the comparisons are super valuable.

In the meantime, I've ordered a flightsuit from Crowprops. Unfortunately, UPS managed to lose the damn thing, just very shortly before Celebration. As an act of desperation, I ordered a suit from Jedi Robe (I know, I know, not exactly the best to support. However, with a deadline of less than 2 weeks, it had to make do). My girlfriend did some fantastic alterations for me and the suit fits nicely now. The pocket placements seem to be about right, with the biggest issue being a collar that is *tiny* compared to my own neck. This has been extended and the front part of the suit was altered to fit me nicely.

Now, I did my first dress up, took some quick photos and submitted it with the Rebel Legion before they close their applications over Celebration. I expect them not to get back to me by Celebration, but that's totally okay. I'll still have to add some paint to the helmet down the line, but for a very first test dressing, I'm extremely happy with the results!

9Wl1p5R.png

KsdMGlz.jpg

qrcJubj.jpg

cmTE79J.png

HObCMm5.png

kQ5YEKf.png

The cylinders, leg flares and compad are 3D prints.

Now, what's left to do?

- Add some weathering to the helmet
- slightly darken and weather the leg flares, as they do seem a bit too bright in my opinion
- maybe eventually (big fat maybe) update the helmet from a Black Series to a FarAwayCreations
- eventually resize the cylinders to be a bit thinner

In its current state, I think this costume is ready for Celebration and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out! I think I really can be proud for this to be my first ever Star Wars costume.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back