Completed Fine Molds 1:48 TIE Fighter

johnnyntro

First off, hello everyone, first kit posted here at the RPF, hopefully won't be the last!

Did this one in anticipation of my first IPMS show. Never been to one, wanted to complete a kit just for it. Came out better than I thought in some areas, wish I had more patience in others, but overall I'm happy. I wanted to capture less of a screen-perfect quality, and more of the really cool "white metal" look to the pics on the box, thought that made it look more menacing, so I did the whole thing in metallics, even the solar panels have a bit of metallic blue mixed in, but it wasn't as obvious as I'd hoped it would be. Great kit to put together, but the seam down the main fuselage was a bear. Everything else was completely hidden by some great casting by FM as usual. More pics here. Thanks for looking!

FMTF14802.jpg

FMTF14804.jpg

FMTF14807.jpg

Last edited:
I love the detail on the molded Koolshade! Looks like the real stuff! Would you be able to post a pic with say a pop can to get a better idea of the size?

Meant to take one next to a can and totally forgot. Here's a lo-tech version, thanks for the reminder, and thanks for taking the time to look, everyone!

Cool, thanks. It isn't as small as I thought it was. That's good. Thanks again for posting the pic. Now, get that Viper behind it painted!

Yeah, once I assembled the solar panel wings, I thought "Whoa, this is not going to be small." Which is VERY good.

As for the Viper...I am out of white paint! I can't find tamiya paint ANYWHERE local (I live in Alabama, only two dealers within 50 miles even carry the Tamiya brand), and it costs triple the price of a jar to ship it. So I'm stuck until customs can clear for my LHS and I can hoard all of the white paint. :) Any good alternatives, all I've ever passed thru my airbrush has been Tamiya.

Meant to take one next to a can and totally forgot. Here's a lo-tech version, thanks for the reminder, and thanks for taking the time to look, everyone!

I love how Richard aka...REL has created a unit of measure via the standard soda can :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back