COMPLETED: ERTL Klingon Bird Of Prey Kit

PHArchivist

Master Member
The completed kits on CultTVMan look like the cruising versions have wings that are paralell to the ground.

I've always thought the cruising position of the wings was slightly angled up, compared to the horizontal plane of the ship...

Hey don't start that kit yet!! I have a buddy who makes an upgrade kit for the wings, so they can be posed up or down, instead of fixed one or the other like the kit. Contact cobywan@comcast.net and tell him you want more info or pics of the Bird of Prey hinge kit he makes. Tell him Joe (Faust) sent you so he knows you're not stalking him
icon_lol.gif

Raygun

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Sidewinder wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
I believe its wings up for landing, flat for cruise and down for attack.

SAS
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

That's what I was thinking too, but I think it looks better in the "up" position...

quarryman wrote:
Sup Joe. I've seen those hinges too, and they are the goods.

Did Coby bring them to the club meeting or did you see them online? I think he was selling them online somewhere. I haven't talked to him in about a month. He and Chris are getting ready for WF. I need to catch up with both of them when they get back...and make it to a meeting. I've missed most of them lately
icon_frown.gif

I wish I had pictures to show of them. Makes me want to build another BOP. If you guys haven't seen these, the parts replace the "radiator" fin blocks from the original kit with individual panels that mesh together and hinge up and down so the wings are posable after assembly. The kit came with two different radiator blocks that you installed for flight or fight modes and once you glued them in, it was done. They also add a little more detail to the kit since they're not one chunk of solid plastic. They're cast in resin and they all slide together and mount to a hinge. I haven't seen the resin ones, but I have seen the original parts which were laser cut and pretty accurate. Coby's casting work in the past has been flawless, so they should be good.

In either case, I'd drop him an email if you're interested. Since Wonderfest is this weekend, I wouldn't expect a response until sometime next week though.

Raygun

Coby brought some sets to a meeting. They were amazingly strong considering those thin plates. And yes, the castings were perfect.

My memory of the BoP in cruise mode is that in some shots the wings are straight across and in some they are slightly angled up. I like them angled up a bit, so with mine I just cut along one of the lines on the leading and trailing baffle-plate end parts. The lines all match up forward to back pretty well. Then glue them onto the center baffle part and cut it to match the ends. Viola!

I have no pics of this yet, I'm still working on my BoP. Right now I'm getting ready to mold the nose so I can cast in some clear resin for the ring of lights around the torpedo launcher and the lower forward windows...

Mark Snyder
Seoul, Korea

quarryman wrote:
Coby brought some sets to a meeting. They were amazingly strong considering those thin plates. And yes, the castings were perfect.

I've really got to go to the meetings again. I've kind of been out of the loop
icon_frown.gif
Not that I've done anything exciting lately anyway. I did however finally get that 1/35th scale Gundam EX-S, so I should bring it in to show it off. Good thing I have a truck...I don't think it'll fit in Lynn's Geo
icon_lol.gif

Raygun

Just wondered, does anyone know of an undercarriage kit for the bird if prey, or does anyone have any good pics of this area of the ship ?

Thanks

Phil

Thanks guys! I love weathering ships -- lots of fun!

Tom, the base is Testor's Model Master rattle can spray Medium Green, FS 34102.

tommin wrote:
Extremely well done, man!! The weathering looks dead on. What did you use for the base color?

Tom

Thanks Robert, and all!

Yeah, the color on the BOP is hard to get. Frankly, I don't know if mine is accurate, but if fullfills the vision oft he BOP in my mind's eye... In other words, it works for me!

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back