[COMPLETE] The Amazing Spider-Girl (Female Ben Reilly Custom Dye-Sub Suit)

PolyversalAri

* * * COMPLETE!!! * * * Most Recent Update: Post #118 * * *

g-spider-girl-female-ben-reilly-custom-dye-sub-suit-otakon2014046-1024x768-jpg-361824d1407808195.jpg

*** Update: April 25, 2015 ***

Hello All!

This print is available for sale. Please PM me if you are interested!

Please note that each print is made to order. Due to processing and handling time, please allow 2-3 weeks before your suit print is shipped.

Hello All!

I'm relatively new to the forum. My name's Ariana and I'm a 24 year old female from New York.

I've been lurking / researching for a bit here and there and have finally started work on an Amazing Spider-Girl dye sub suit :cool

This is the look I'm going for:

Spider-girl-continues.jpg

My original thought was to try and piece something together out of various fabrics, but certain effects I wanted simply were not possible via standard solid color fabrics / meshes. I'd done a really quick custom Superman Suit for a friend (details on which can be found on my website here), but that was my most advanced sewing project to date.

In particular, features I like and want to maintain from the reference image are the blue highlights against the black areas of the suit and, of course, muscle definition. I had originally drafted a preliminary pattern from scratch in Adobe Illustrator (See below. I used this tutorial for measurements) and did some coloring for a non-dye-sub project, but ultimately decided to scrap it and go all out.

W-ScreenShot0.png

So then I bought @Sonjou's Female Muscle Base which I obtained from his website over the weekend. I started transposing some of what I already had from my Illustrator file to the muscle base in Adobe Photoshop and adding layers and texture and what not. Long story short and three nights of Photoshop work later, this is what I have:

W-ScreenShot1.png

I modded the pattern a little bit to have the back pieces attached to the rest of the suit, though kept an original version with the separate back pieces and all the details seen above just in case. I know the arms don't match the reference pic. Didn't get to those yet as I want to print out a paper model to see how to add what I'm calling the "pointy shoulder spider connectors". Anyone have any tips for that?

Here's a zoomed in detail shot showing the hexagon texture that I got from s0nkite on deviantART and my color scheme up close:

W-ScreenShot2.png

What do you guys think so far? This is my first time doing anything dye-dub related so I'm completely open to suggestions / tips / tricks. My major concern for this project are Photoshopping in the web-lines and mounting the eyes. I really love @TJack's frames and lenses, so I might end up springing for those down the line :D

Spider-girl-continues.jpg

W-ScreenShot0.png

W-ScreenShot1.png

W-ScreenShot2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Amazing Spider-Girl [Custom Dye-Sub Suit]

This will be fun, plan on sewing it as well?

Yes, I plan on sewing everything together as well. I'm a very slow Photoshopper, so that might be a ways off. Especially since I'm also in the process of saving up for the dye sub. The holidays are taking their toll on my project fund haha

Last edited:

I can not what to see your finished project!!! I have yet to see a good spider-girl costume and by the looks of what you have so far yours will be awesome! I would get some frames/lenses from TJack if I were you, his product is great, I have order 2 different styles from him and I am currently ordering my 3rd and I am always happy with what I get. Keep up the good work!!!

Hello All!

I'm relatively new to the forum. My name's Ariana and I'm a 24 year old female from New York.

I've been lurking / researching for a bit here and there and have finally started work on an Amazing Spider-Girl dye sub suit :cool

This is the look I'm going for:

View attachment 262947

My original thought was to try and piece something together out of various fabrics, but certain effects I wanted simply were not possible via standard solid color fabrics / meshes. I'd done a really quick custom Superman Suit for a friend (details on which can be found on my blog here), but nothing that was my most advanced sewing project to date.

In particular features I like and want to maintain from the reference image are the blue highlights against the black areas of the suit and, of course, muscle definition. I had originally drafted a preliminary pattern from scratch in Adobe Illustrator (See below. I used this tutorial for measurements) and did some coloring for a non-dye-sub project, but ultimate decided to scrap it and go all out.

View attachment 262949

So then I bought Sonjou's Female Muscle Base which I obtained from his website over the weekend. I started transposing some of what I already had from my Illustrator file to the muscle base in Adobe Photoshop and adding layers and texture and what not. Long story short and three nights of Photoshop work later, this is what I have:

View attachment 262951

I modded the pattern a little bit to have the back pieces attached to the rest of the suit, though kept an original version with the separate back pieces and all the details seen above just in case. I know the arms don't match the reference pic. Didn't get to those yet as I want to print out a paper model to see how to add what I'm calling the "pointy shoulder spider connectors". Anyone have any tips for that?

Here's a zoomed in detail shot showing the hexagon texture that I from s0nkite on deviantART and my color scheme up close:

View attachment 262952

What do you guys think so far? This is my first time doing anything dye-dub related so I'm completely open to suggestions / tips / tricks. My major concern for this project are Photoshopping in the web-lines and mounting the eyes. I really love TJack's frames and lenses, so I might end up springing for those down the line :D

GREAT JOB! For someone that's new here I can already say you will fit right in!

I can not what to see your finished project!!! I have yet to see a good spider-girl costume and by the looks of what you have so far yours will be awesome! I would get some frames/lenses from TJack if I were you, his product is great, I have order 2 different styles from him and I am currently ordering my 3rd and I am always happy with what I get. Keep up the good work!!!

Yes, that's the plan! I'm absolutely in love with the Spider-Girl frames TJack offers! They look absolutely perfect from the picture I've seen on his thread.

I may attempt to photoshop in the web lines tonight after I get the spider emblem to spread across the shoulders correctly. Anyone have any tips for lining these up correctly??

Yes, that's the plan! I'm absolutely in love with the Spider-Girl frames TJack offers! They look absolutely perfect from the picture I've seen on his thread.

I may attempt to photoshop in the web lines tonight after I get the spider emblem to spread across the shoulders correctly. Anyone have any tips for lining these up correctly??

Here's from my rami suit template. You can use it as reference to figure put where to put the webs. If you are still having trouble I can try to help ya out more you want.

Attachments

• template.png
    template.png
    255 KB · Views: 501

Didn't get to do the webbing tonight, but I finished blocking out the color for the arms and hands!

W-ScreenShot3.png

I also edited the under arm area to have the black cut outs and made the hexagon texture 30% larger:

W-ScreenShot4.png

I think that I need to work on the legs some more (see first post). I'd like them to have some more highlights on the thighs and the reds on the shins seems a little desaturated to me. I'm also not completely sure if the current layout of the red area on shins / calves will have the correct effect I'm going for where it is only on the outside half. Here's a better pucture I found that shows this better than the orginal reference pic:

background.jpg

What do you guys think?

Here's from my rami suit template. You can use it as reference to figure put where to put the webs. If you are still having trouble I can try to help ya out more you want.

Thanks New Blood! This will certainly come in handy. I plan on tackling the webbing within the next few days :)

Didn't get to do the webbing tonight, but I finished blocking out the color for the arms and hands!

View attachment 263655

I also edited the under arm area to have the black cut outs and made the hexagon texture 30% larger:

View attachment 263656

I think that I need to work on the legs some more (see first post). I'd like them to have some more highlights on the thighs and the reds on the shins seems a little desaturated to me. I'm also not completely sure if the current layout of the red area on shins / calves will have the correct effect I'm going for where it is only on the outside half. Here's a better pucture I found that shows this better than the orginal reference pic:

View attachment 263666

What do you guys think?

Thanks New Blood! This will certainly come in handy. I plan on tackling the webbing within the next few days :)

If you encounter any issues with the webs you can send me a preview image of your pattern and I can use the webs on my template and tweak it to contour to the female pattern shape.

subscribed. 'bout time we got some female spider-costumes on this forum.
you planning on adding the bracelets as well?

Hey Guys!

Sorry about the lack of updating, but I've been pretty busy this last week. Work's been a little crazy, and I was also sick with a bad head cold the last couple days and couldn't really make my eyes focus on anything for too long without them getting all watery due to congestion :-/

I saw that The New Blood uploaded a video tutorial on how to do the weblines in photoshop! He posted it over on YouTube here, and I learned a few nifty new tricks for using the pen tool. I will definitely use this method when I go to draw in mine. Most certainly worth a watch and a :thumbsup. Hopefully I'll have some time to work on this over the holidays :)

Also, does anyone know about exactly how much a dye-sub from FabricOnDemand.com will cost to have printed? I've heard things anywhere from $75.00 to around $175.00 or more and just want a better idea as to how I should budget myself for this.

subscribed. 'bout time we got some female spider-costumes on this forum.
you planning on adding the bracelets as well?

If by bracelets you mean web shooters, then yes ;) That will probably be the last thing I tackle though. Haven't put much thought into how I'm going to craft those, but I think they're definitely something I should be able to fabricate on my own.

FabricOnDeman gave me a "Superhero lycra print" package for $150 which included shipping and large file handling surcharge, or you can buy by per yard and I believe most of the pattern is around 3 yards.

What happened to this?

Took a short hiatus between the holidays and work taking over my life. Currently working on the web lines and correcting the shoulder areas where the two large spiders meet. Something just isn't quite right there yet and it's difficult trying to line it up across three pieces... I'll post some screen shots / progress shots soon!

I also got some eye pieces from TJack which look fantastic! I'll post pics of those soon as well :)

Great work so far! I am also re-learning photoshop again for similar reasons. Looks great so far. Will be checking in on the progress. I am waiting back on a test sample from FoD and then will be placing an order. Will PM you if you still need to know a round about price.

If you could, that would be great :) I'd just like to have a couple of pricing references to compare, as I'm on a tight budget.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back