Complete begginer seeking advice.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

CrustyJugglerz

Hey everyone, im not sure if this is the right area to ask this so i apologize if its not, but my partner is looking getting into sculpting/prosthetics and makeup.

We have both never done any sculpting or painting really but shes pretty passionate about trying to bring her ideas to life. Im looking to spend around 1k on stuff for christmas for her, so sculpting tools, clay, a blank bust, airbrush gun, makeup kit etc.
Is there any place that does complete kits, or could anyone reccomend a bunch of decent tools and sources for beginners?

Much appreciated :)

PS. I had a quick browse through the forums and the stuff on here is mindblowing, what you guys can achieve with clay and latex and odd materials and paint is phenomenal.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

animator

I second masterjedi322 suggestion of a Stan Winston School subscription as a gift. Watching some of the courses first can really help you in find the supplies you want to get.

Iwata's are great airbrushes. I also have a Paasche H which might be simpler to use for a beginner. Do buy a good compressor, I have a cheap compressor that I hate.

I would suggest getting small amounts of Monster Clay, Chavant NSP and maybe WED clay so she can experiment with each to decide what type of clay she likes to work in best.

Ed and Alanna H2.0 are one type of base form that isn't too expensive. I'm sure there are many others, too.

A lot of cheap sculpting and dental tools work great. People also make their own tools. I have Chavant Glyptic modeling tools which are handles that allow you to swap and replace the tips. They are a bit more expensive, but have held up well.

Picking what materials you want to work will will also change what supplies you may want.

Maybe get the supplies for making life casts for yourselves if you are wanting to create masks and make-up for the two of you.

Good Luck!