Comparison of V for Vendetta Masks

GStam66

Hey everyone, I was considering doing a V for Vendetta costume and was trying to locate the most accurate looking mask (that's not hundreds of dollars). I've narrowed it down to a few, and I was hoping I could get some input to see what the closest one is, at least as a starting point, as I may have to do some minor work to a couple masks to make em more accurate.

Movie mask, fairly pale, thin eye holes, little bit of pink on cheeks and very little on bottom lip:
Mask-of-Me-v-for-vendetta-29074903-917-615.jpg

This one claims to be the deluxe mask, but doesnt look like other deluxe V masks when Googled (the deluxe one has weird rings around the eyes which are very wide themselves, and is yellower):

This one seems to have the correct proportions, but the color is all wrong:
MOD EDIT: Please do not post ebay links, thanks.

This one may be the closest I've seen so far. The eyes are narrow enough to be similar to the movie mask, yet they look sleepy. I may just cut a little bit around the eyes to reshape them a bit:

I've checked out numerous different sites trying to find the closest mask i can, but I'm not coming up with much. Any input/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is this one also different?

From Ebay: HOT Halloween Masquerade Face Mask V For Vendetta Guy Fawkes Fancy Dress Party

$(KGrHqZ,!oIFIF3fwjduBSJW9huryg~~60_12.JPG

Is this one also different?

From Ebay: HOT Halloween Masquerade Face Mask V For Vendetta Guy Fawkes Fancy Dress Party

View attachment 256666

Yeah, this one isnt very accurate either. The color is more yellow when V's mask is white, plus V's mask doesnt have those rings around his eyes, and the movie mask has a more curved mustache, whereas this mask has a more square one (along with the movie mask having thinner eyes). I've seen a bunch of different masks, so I'm just trying to find the most accurate one.

I had been trying to scope out the best of the cheap replicas myself awhile back. I have one of these resin blackblok.com white V2 masks on order

Hard Resin White Guy Fawkes Anonymous Mask Version 2 - $22.99 : BlackBlok.com, All Anonymous! A Huge Selection of Guy Fawkes Masks!

I realize it's not perfect but it seems to be one of the better ones. Made in China and shipping is expensive. In the center in the below pic (and the lenses are distorting these, I know)

maskscompared.jpg

The creme de la creme of course is the casting-from-original-molds by our own sskunky, from a few years ago. That one is perfect. :D

Karl

- - - Updated - - -

The film mask is an off-white, eggshell almost. The color timing in the film frequently makes it look yellowish. This is an original publicity photo (on the cover of "From Script to Film" book)

1-vendetta-guy-fawkes-mask-on-black-849146.png

- - - Updated - - -

Color tinting making it look yellow

115684363_bb695efc11_o.jpg

I got one a few years ago from a seller on e-bay, it was the best I found at the time. Think it said something about using the same mold from the movie but true or not it has been a good solid mask. Only used it for Halloween but wanted to upgrade my costume at some point and maybe dress up for dragon con one of these years.

Just grabbed one with my phone:
IMG_20131118_234841_294-1.jpg

Lol, I just did a google search for my nickname and v for vendetta. Picture that comes up is me in costume on this page selling v for vendetta throwing knives. :) Hat was a little tight for my wig but I made it out of a wicker basket so...
http://cnnives.com/v-for-vendetta-throwing-knives/

Last edited:
I had been trying to scope out the best of the cheap replicas myself awhile back. I have one of these resin blackblok.com white V2 masks on order

Hard Resin White Guy Fawkes Anonymous Mask Version 2 - $22.99 : BlackBlok.com, All Anonymous! A Huge Selection of Guy Fawkes Masks!

I realize it's not perfect but it seems to be one of the better ones. Made in China and shipping is expensive. In the center in the below pic (and the lenses are distorting these, I know)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19949348/hostedimages/maskscompared.jpg

The creme de la creme of course is the casting-from-original-molds by our own sskunky, from a few years ago. That one is perfect. :D

Karl

- - - Updated - - -

The film mask is an off-white, eggshell almost. The color timing in the film frequently makes it look yellowish. This is an original publicity photo (on the cover of "From Script to Film" book)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...-vendetta-guy-fawkes-mask-on-black-849146.png

- - - Updated - - -

Color tinting making it look yellow

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19949348/hostedimages/115684363_bb695efc11_o.jpg

There's so many differences between a lot of the masks. And I agree, a lot of em have eyes that are way too round, or mouths that are too small or open too wide. The Japanese one seems the most accurate out of those pics.

Does anyone have any pics of sskunky's masks? Or know if he's still in the business of making em?

Well the DC Direct V mask is the most accurate mask. You have to have one to really believe it and see the small features on them that point to proof of them really coming off the hero mold. The size of the eyes depends entirely on the lighting just as what you see on the film. There are scenes on the film where the eyes look wide and then look small. The actual color of the mask depends on the lighting as well. No tinting done although some hero masks were glossier than others. They're extremely rare and expensive but if you're a big V4V fan who wants the most accurate mask, its worth it.....unless you get yourself a mask like Skippy2k's.

The mask posted by Skippy2k is a mask that came from ebay user "sattlerjm" who molded his DC Direct V mask years ago and produced masks identical to the DC V mask. In the past, other people attempted to mold their DC V mask but he is the only one who made perfect masks to be sold. The paint on his masks is too cream colored and the shadows are too dark. Other than that, they're as perfect as a DC V mask in terms of correct features. He was selling a few again just a few months ago for $125.

While the sskunky mask is claimed to be cast from the hero mold, there are features on it that just don't match up with the actual hero masks any way you cut it such as the goatee, the eyes, and the mustache. They look closer to the crowd used masks because what separate the crowd masks from the hero masks are these three features. They may have indeed came off a mold from the same sculptor but I doubt the sculptor kept the hero mold. The paint job is very well done.

Everything else available is a rework of Rubies' V mask. That "deluxe" mask is just their resin version. Still uglier than the resin masks offered by Chinese sellers.
There is this mask also available on ebay cast from a crowd used mask.
amsculpturesmask.jpg
And this is a facebook link to pics of the costume of a guy I was in talks with over this mask. I think it looks great.

Thanks for the info J EM! I bought it a long while ago and didn't remember who it was by. Love the movie and didn't really want the thin halloween versions that seemed to be everywhere, this was the best I found in my search at the time. Would be cool to have the DC Direct one but I've been very happy with the one I have, actually re-used it this last Halloween.

The eyes are cut a TAD too small. Otherwise... perfection.
The eye slits should be narrow. Maybe they should be cut wider. But most of all, that paint job lacks the brown eyeliner.

Note that there were two different types of masks in the film: the hero masks worn by V himself, and then there were the cheaper "crowd masks" with a bigger nose. On the hero masks, the eye slits are asymmetrical, with the bottom edge straighter.
From what I can see, sskunky's replica is a cast of a crowd mask.

I have seen a type of cheap mask that is quite common, but more accurate than Rubies'. It has a pure-white base colour.

I am right now resculpting from a Rubies... and as I progress I notice more and more flaws. The biggest problems I have is not the goatee but that
the sides are flaring out and that the sides of the eyes/cheekbone area is too bulbous.
Also, the frown above the eye brows is a tad too low, the nose is too large and the jawline is missing. The eyeliner should be on the edge, not around the eyes. At least the basic relative dimensions of mouth/moustache/smile/eyebrows match the crowd mask, as far as I can see.
The Rubies' masks are also crappily trimmed, often not very straight.

Please do keep posting more high-resolution images of the hero mask. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, the goatee doesn't come off the chin as a separate piece on the sskunky. That I noticed.
Right
Thanks for the info J EM! I bought it a long while ago and didn't remember who it was by. Love the movie and didn't really want the thin halloween versions that seemed to be everywhere, this was the best I found in my search at the time. Would be cool to have the DC Direct one but I've been very happy with the one I have, actually re-used it this last Halloween.
You're welcome :) You own a perfect replica of a DC Direct V mask. For the longest I pestered sattlerjm until he finally put the last one he had available up for auction. Sadly I lost but as someone who has been anal about owning an accurate V mask since the first day I decided I wanted a V mask, I would have been very happy with his mask. Despite its darker paint job its so great it can get you $500 at auction xD
The eye slits should be narrow. Maybe they should be cut wider. But most of all, that paint job lacks the brown eyeliner.

Note that there were two different types of masks in the film: the hero masks worn by V himself, and then there were the cheaper "crowd masks" with a bigger nose. On the hero masks, the eye slits are asymmetrical, with the bottom edge straighter.
From what I can see, sskunky's replica is a cast of a crowd mask.
The crowd masks didn't come off a mold but were vacuum formed from a hero mask, hence the slightly bigger size of them and the lack of 3 distinct features that make the hero masks the hero masks. And when you mold a crowd used mask, these features are further diminished and other features get changed as well.

Good luck with your sculpt. I think the biggest problem you've already encountered is the size of the mask. The Rubies is significantly larger than the hero/dc V. masks.

You can make the eyes bigger, unlike the other masks with huge eyes that you can't shrink down.

Excuse my ignorance, but I also purchased a mask with smaller eyes than I would have hoped. If it is not too much trouble, can you explain how one could make the eyes bigger on a resin mask?? Thanks.

Yeah, the goatee doesn't come off the chin as a separate piece on the sskunky. That I noticed.

k

It has taken me until now to notice this also lol, I did own a screen used mask and I think these are indeed very similar, I have one of Sskunky's arriving Wednesday so I shall try and compare... will have to pester him also for more info on his mask maker etc lol :p anyone have a screen used or DC one for sale? trying to collect a few up again :) cannot buy until after the new year etc however..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back