Companion Cube; pink insulation foam help!

Devi13

Hello! I'm starting on a companion cube from the game Portal made entirely out of pink insulation foam (to be coated in fiberglass resin eventually). This is my first time using this material and I've gotten some of my thinner pieces cut already, but I've hit a snag in that I don't know how to go about cutting the pieces of my cube base. I'm using 2" thick insulation foam, with pieces as large as 20"x20", but none of my hot tools have the stamina or design to cut down the center of a large piece (x-acto type hot knife, hot wire and a hot wand). What can I do?? Can I go back to Home Depot and ask them to cut my pieces down further with their saw, or is it all on me now?

hey!, Im using the same foam for a display, Ive been using a jigsaw, it seems to be working if u take your time slicing through it. Hope this helps, not sure what you could use if u cant use a jigsaw. Im guessing they will cut it for you if you bring it back tho. anyways looking forward to your prgress!

Hi,
Use a hand saw or a plasterboard saw which is a bit like a bread knife.... but a saw. You should be able to get a decent cut with a normal fine tooth wood saw. Once cut sand the edges with sandpaper.
You could probably use a cerrated kitchen knife otherwise.
Hope this helps.

pink insulation foam (to be coated in fiberglass resin eventually).
Polyester resin will melt polystyrene foam. I hope you were thinking of using laminating-epoxy.
I would suggest mixing in some Colloidal Silica into the epoxy - if the epoxy is thin, this prevents it from running. The supplies can be found in boating stores.

Polyester resin will melt polystyrene foam. I hope you were thinking of using laminating-epoxy.
I would suggest mixing in some Colloidal Silica into the epoxy - if the epoxy is thin, this prevents it from running. The supplies can be found in boating stores.

I've been told by friends that as long as I seal the foam with layers of gesso and white glue I can use fiberglass resin. Would laminating-epoxy stand up to the pressure of someone sitting on the cube and prevent the foam from denting? And before you ask, yes, it will be supported on the inside too.

I will probably check with HD to see if they'd be able to cut my foam as that could be the easiest solution to my problem. If not, then I'll give the others a try too! I think I also have an electric carving knife that I've yet to try. I don't exactly have the steadiest hand.

I've been told by friends that as long as I seal the foam with layers of gesso and white glue I can use fiberglass resin. Would laminating-epoxy stand up to the pressure of someone sitting on the cube and prevent the foam from denting?
Good that you are aware of the issue already. :) In general polyester is harder but epoxy is tougher, but different brands may vary. I would be afraid of denting with either resin.

Home depot should be able to cut stuff for you. But beware that you might not get the greatest results. I had them cut stuff for me one time and all the cuts had an angle to them instead of 90 degrees. Some stores have knowledgeable people, others... not so much.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back