Comic style Spiderman - opinions/advice

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by WicKeDM6, Apr 12, 2012.

1. WicKeDM6

WicKeDM6 Active Member

Hey Guys,

i just joined up at the RPF after being a long time viewer/admirer of the cool costumes and props i see here each day.

i decided to post my spiderman costume that i have pieced together in order to get some opinions and possibly advice on my

comic style spidey suit

a few things to note

- This cotume cost me no more than $65AUS
    - I am in no way experienced at costume making or alterations
    - i simply just am pro-active with ideas i have and like to be creative

ok, so for fun, i decided to see if i could make myself a cheap but decent spiderman costume (comic book style)

i ordered a zentai spiderman costume from ebay in a size Medium for $42AUS which ended up being a perfect fit..... the downfall however was that the suit had the crappiest mask attached that i had ever seen:
    [​IMG]

As u can see, the mask was terrible... to note, there is also some minor flaws with the under arm connections of the blue and red patterns, but these i can live with for the price i paid

In order to improve the costume, i cut off the attached mask and stitched the neck area in order to secure the zip (which runs down the back). I then purchased a deluxe spiderman replica mask for $12.50AUS from Amazon.

i keep the mask seperate from the suit as it both looks good while im wearing it and can be removed in order to have a drink etc.

heres me wearing the spidey suit in its current form:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would like to attach some souls to the feet, as i have a costume party coming up..... any suggestions and directions on how to apply them??

let me know what u guys think.....

cheers guys

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Web_Slinger

Web_Slinger Active Member

get some aqua shoes and shoe goo it's what i did for my scarlet spider suit. :)

3. leafman

leafman Well-Known Member

What brand is that mask I like the look of it but I can't find one that looks like it on amazon?

4. WicKeDM6

WicKeDM6 Active Member

Thanks for the tip rebz

Off to buy aqua shoes

5. Nanak

Nanak Member

The mask really brings It out, I heard someone say they used woman flats for soles because they are less bulky I guess you would need small feet too.

6. VinXero

VinXero Active Member

7. WicKeDM6

WicKeDM6 Active Member

Yup, that's the mask..... It's cheap and pretty good quality

8. SpiderFan

SpiderFan New Member

Or try type in, 'Spiderman cosplay mask'

9. golgotha000

golgotha000 Member

looks like money well spent!
    but that first mask......... :)

10. returnhangar

returnhangar New Member

the mask it came with made me laught, sinse when has spider man had a target web above his eyebrows :D. the mask you bought looks prertty sweet

11. drknotter

drknotter Active Member

I really like that mask! I think I'm going to attempt a Spidey suit sometime in the future, and I'm definitely going to go more for a comic book Spidey than the movie versions.

12. WicKeDM6

WicKeDM6 Active Member

Yeah the downside about this costume is that it has a huge ugly red zipper running down the back lol........ I was quite happy with the costume overall considering it was cheap... Good for parties and stuff

Has anyone purchased a spider-man "rental" costume from disguise? Wondering what the quality is like considering its only around $150

13. Jamesdruffin

Jamesdruffin Active Member

I could see the pictures but its kinda hard to tell does the material/color match your suit?

14. Spider Dan

Spider Dan New Member

Oh wow, this looks great. I found the Spider-Man zentai suit and the deluxe mask online myself, and I wondered if they would work together. Clearly they do! It looks great and it sounds like this is a pretty cheap ensemble.

15. WicKeDM6

WicKeDM6 Active Member

The colors match perfectly

16. rexel13

rexel13 New Member

I also have the disguise costume. FOr the price it is pretty cool, but definitely needs some tweaking.

I am adding some soles (using water shoes) also, the gloves are attached, which is kind of annoying, so I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of the disguise gloves and cutting off the attached gloves at the wrists.

The mask is ok, I'd give it a 6/10. Fit is nice, but the middle seam is a bit sloppy and it leaves a strange bump on the forehead. The eyes are shaped well, but the white mesh is a bit too see through. I might try to add a layer beneath or replace it with something better.

The above is all just nitpicking, my real beef with the mask are the two nose holes that they added (as though spandex is somehow not easy enough to breathe through) I am trying to figure out how to fix that, or if there is a better mask that I can buy to replace this, but match colors. Any suggestions?

17. WicKeDM6

WicKeDM6 Active Member

No I totally agree...... It's ridiculous how there are nose holes on a spandex mask lol...... I think it's something to do with child safety, in order to have the mask pass safety regulations in regards to younger kids and stuff

With the mask.... I'm sorry but I have no other suggestions towards a better product

I won't be wearing my budget comic style suit anymore as I have just finished working with brad (spidey4fun) on making a spidey suit for me. He is one of the top names in spidey suits lol, therefore my budget spidey will be left in a box somewhere lol

18. Jamesdruffin

LUCKY!!!! i want one of his suits how much do they run for?

19. WicKeDM6

WicKeDM6 Active Member

I got a raimi / spidey4fun red blue with printed webbing and spiders plus with an extra mask that has comic style lenses for $800

I didn't get the urethane webbing cos I will be using this suit a lot and don't want gluing issues with all the webbing

20. Jamesdruffin

Awesome I really wanna see how those lenses come out you gotta post pics as soon as you get it

21. kpspideynuts

kpspideynuts Member

want to know do you think the masks are better all in one or removable cant make my mind up what to do when i have my suit ????????????????

22. ATBrooks

ATBrooks Member

I AGREE! Aqua shoes work great.

23. WicKeDM6

WicKeDM6 Active Member

I'm definitely a fan of removable mask

I just ordered a spidey4fun suit and extra mask..... it cost me $800 and it has a removable mask so I can switch between the 2

Makes taking breaks and having a drink way easier

24. Jamesdruffin

Hey I just received my zentai suit today but it fits extremely loose did you have to sew yours? Or did it come tight all around?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  25. WicKeDM6

WicKeDM6 Active Member

Mine was a very lucky perfect fit...... I'm sorry to hear that it came loose, sucks when something you have paid for isn't up to standard

P.s - I've received my spidey4fun....... Very well worth the money I paid, I would live in this suit if possible lol..... Check out my profile, I uploaded a few pics in my gallery

26. Jamesdruffin

Yeah it's disappointing, gonna have to make some adjustments but cool the suit looks incredible man I'm jealous I wish I could afford one.

27. Deadpool92

Deadpool92 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now you've got your spidey4fun suit would you consider selling your deluxe spiderman mask? All the ones I've found of it, the webbing on the front doesn't match up.

28. Iracel

Iracel Well-Known Member

Hey, I just ordered mine from Amazon three weeks ago. It was totally in line. I suggest ordering it from Amazon, for that could have just been a bad batch.

29. Spidey1016

Spidey1016 New Member

I found this same suit on ebay and the zipper up the back goes all the way up the back of the wearers head in the picture. My question is how did you remove the s*** mask when the zipper is attached? did u get a whole new zipper? :confused