Comic Captain America WIP (Picture Heavy)

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by GBrittelleJr, May 3, 2012.

1. GBrittelleJr

GBrittelleJr Well-Known Member

So I've always wanted a comic book Captain America suit. As much as I love the designs for both TFA and The Avengers, it's been the comic suit that does it for me. So here's my WIP thus far:

[​IMG]
    Heavy weight moleskin Lycra undershirt with a separate moleskin blue tunic. It's separate because I wanted it to seem layered, and I wanted it to move naturally. Also, the white sleeves go all the way to the shoulder as opposed to stopping at the biceps, and the stripes go all the way to the armpits. This is so if I move my arms and the scaled tunic rises up, you never see where the stripes or the white sleeves stop. I will be cutting out 1.25" individual scales from thin tanning leather to glue onto the separate tunic, and airbrushing them a metallic blue to match the rest of the outfit, with a bright white star on the front and back. I used moleskin for the tunic so I could squeeze into it without the need for a zipper to ruin the look.

[​IMG]
    Navy blue baseball pants. I wanted form fitting pants without skintight spandex, so I opted for these. They have belt loops and a zippered fly with snap closure. Should do the trick.

[​IMG]
    Red leather gauntlet gloves that I had special ordered from Ravenswood leather I believe a few years back. I promise I'm no where NEAR that skinny anymore! :lol

[​IMG]
    I'm thinking just a classic black belt, and either making some real leather pouches similar to what was used on TFA, or buying an army ammo belt and using that over my hips in conjunction with the black belt posted above. Not quite sure.

[​IMG]
    I got a pair of these used on eBay for a great price. I've currently shortened the cuff, and I'll be airbrushing both these and the gloves a matching red. I might down the road replace the sole of the boots with a heavier lug treaded sole, but I don't know.

[​IMG]
    This is the sculpt for the under shell for the cowl. I'll be casting this in latex, and adhering the fabric of the mask over this. I was going for a helmet-y feel without actually using a helmet. Those of you familiar with Captain America in the modern comics might I understand what I was going for. And here's a screen shot of the temple wings I had rendered. I'm going to get these printed from shapeways or some place similar and cast them in 40 shore urethane. [​IMG]

Well, that's its for now. I'll update as I go. Thanks!

Greg

2. GBrittelleJr

Awe, almost 200 views and no love for the comic Captain. I should have some more updates to show in a day or two.

3. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good to me so far, looking forward to seeing it finished.

4. BobbyS95

BobbyS95 Well-Known Member

Looks good! Haven't seen many comic Cap's

5. GBrittelleJr

The pants came in, and they're an almost identical color match to the navy Lycra. So that's a plus. Also got the boot cuffs shortened, then the boots and the gloves airbrushed a matching shade of red.

[​IMG]

Will start cutting out the scales tomorrow to glue to the tunic, and hopefully mold the face shell so I can start drafting a pattern for the mask.

6. GBrittelleJr

So many scales [​IMG] I know what I'll be doing for the next week...

7. giric thren

giric thren Well-Known Member

Looking good.

I love the Comic Cap, I want to start working on both a Comic version, and an Avengers versions.

I dont know where to start

8. GBrittelleJr

Thanks! Once I finish this, I'm gonna start working on an Avengers suit. If there's anything I can help you with, let me know!

9. thundrkiss

thundrkiss Active Member

Ahh, the scales...
    I've been thinking about trying one and can't decide on steel or leather..

10. batmann539

batmann539 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The scales look like a lot of work. I'm anxious to see how this turns out. Looking good so far.

Sean

11. The9thWonder

The9thWonder Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm looking to make a comic version costume as well. Look forward to seeing how yours turns out. Coming along great so far.

12. GBrittelleJr

I'm almost done with the scaled shirt, I'll be molding the mask tomorrow, I've got the shapeways wings, and the leather pouches done. Should flood this thread with pics soon!

13. Charbacca

Charbacca New Member

Just out of curiosity, how are you attaching the scales to the shirt?

14. grey matter

grey matter Active Member

looking good so far, can't really go wrong with a classic design with some nice real world tweaks.
    how did you do the boots? they look like they came out fantastic. i am helping a friend work on a beta ray bill costume and we were wondering the best way to paint that exact same type of boot.

15. Charbacca

Charbacca New Member

Any progress made with the scales yet?