Comic Book Men reality show

I am a member over at the CGC comics board and we were amazed at the show's "experts" lack of knowledge over the batman comic & Kane sketch and the values of each.

Its interesting to see that their "experts" aren't that proficient with movie props or replicas either.

2nd time watching. Seems soft scripted to hell and I can't stand all of them even more. IMHO they're total douchebags. Even Smith. Wont watch it again. Not even with the Walking Dead bait spot for next weeks episode. Not worth the pain of watching those guys degrade everyone that walks through the door that has an obvious love for the things they treasured. I talked to a local comic book store guy last week and he said he was totally embarrassed by the show. I won't give it the ratings and watch. hopefully it gets cancelled. I seriously can't deal with douchebags on TV, Kardashians, etc.

The big thing is that if he goes to sell that saber, I bet some idiot will pay that despite it not being legit just because the guy from the show said it was from ESB.

Liked last night's show better because there was more Kevin, but it's still too long and lacking substance. I could have lived without Muse. That was just bumb fluff.

And to have pronounced that ESB replica as screen-used after such a cursory inspection is nuts.

I knew I'd seen her before.

Marilyn-Mansfield-real-life-dolls-.jpg

Meet TLC's Latest, Doll-Obsessed Star

She was also on Oddities awhile back, and she's at all the cons in the Tri-State area. She pretty much does anything to get in front of a camera.

Being originally from NJ, I only watched the first episode to see some old sites (Collingswood flea market for one). I turned it off with about 20 minutes left, couldn't take it anymore.

We didn't even make it to the Walking Dead preview this week. What is the POINT of this show, anyway? Just to show what big douschebags these guys are and to reinforce every single negative stereotype about people who like comics?!

I have mixed feelings about it. I dont mind the characters too much but it should be structured better within a 30min slot. I like that its kinda like a pawn shop show for us nerds and like to see what people bring in but cut out the "activities" parts. I think the "on the air" segment would work better as a final thought. Also bring in some better experts. That guy last night had a sweet Batmobile!

I agree, people like this will make folks afraid of going into a comic shop even if it is the smallest of local ones.

I agree that this should only be 30 minutes. I like the pawn star type stuff and the podcast talks, but the rest is a total bore.

The stereotypes applied to comic book nerds hold pretty true. Almost all of the comic shops I've been to in this great nation of ours are staffed with the same type of people - you have your "rocker" - the guy in a leather jacket with long hair who seems to be left over from 80's metal band avalanche -he only reads zombie comics, occasionally expanding his tastes to something commercial like Spawn. There's the rail nerd, done up in Superman shirt and knows everything there is to know about comics - from the 90's onward. To him X-Men only got good when Rob Lefield took over - course he would never admit that in a room full of people. The fat goatee - who looks down on those who enter the store. The geek is sheik wave has granted this 4 tacos for a dollar fan with knowledge that allows him to keep conversation with normal people when the latest Iron Man movie hits the screens, sadly he confuses his comic book intellect with personality and doesn't understand why these people don't hang out with him outside of the store. You have the "female", who on the streets would score no higher than a 6 but in the comic store she's a 10 +. Got into comics because of her boyfriend, x-boyfriend, whatever. Cosplay is more important than comics. There was a time where these women could easily be spotted by the Elfquest books under their arm. Then there's the Old Man -- doesn't really like anything that came after the 70's and could teach you a thing or two about CC Beck, Kirby, Ditko -- if his memory was as good as it used to be.
All of the above (with exception of the Old Man) are cinefiles and their two favorite films are Citizen Kane and Boondock Saints. When it comes to movies, most will answer "I'd love to see a version of this done darker and starring Bruce Campbell."

I just saw the episode with the replica saber. I'm far from an expert, but even I knew they were dealing with a fake. While watching I said to myself, "The RPF guys are going to have a field day with this!" Thanks for not disappointing :)

The stereotypes applied to comic book nerds hold pretty true. Almost all of the comic shops I've been to in this great nation of ours are staffed with the same type of people - you have your "rocker" - the guy in a leather jacket with long hair who seems to be left over from 80's metal band avalanche -he only reads zombie comics, occasionally expanding his tastes to something commercial like Spawn. There's the rail nerd, done up in Superman shirt and knows everything there is to know about comics - from the 90's onward. To him X-Men only got good when Rob Lefield took over - course he would never admit that in a room full of people. The fat goatee - who looks down on those who enter the store. The geek is sheik wave has granted this 4 tacos for a dollar fan with knowledge that allows him to keep conversation with normal people when the latest Iron Man movie hits the screens, sadly he confuses his comic book intellect with personality and doesn't understand why these people don't hang out with him outside of the store. You have the "female", who on the streets would score no higher than a 6 but in the comic store she's a 10 +. Got into comics because of her boyfriend, x-boyfriend, whatever. Cosplay is more important than comics. There was a time where these women could easily be spotted by the Elfquest books under their arm. Then there's the Old Man -- doesn't really like anything that came after the 70's and could teach you a thing or two about CC Beck, Kirby, Ditko -- if his memory was as good as it used to be.
All of the above (with exception of the Old Man) are cinefiles and their two favorite films are Citizen Kane and Boondock Saints. When it comes to movies, most will answer "I'd love to see a version of this done darker and starring Bruce Campbell."

lol, this goes on my Tombstone...

Yeah, after watching this Star wars "expert" do his thing, I'll never watch the show again. :thumbsdown

Amusingly enough the old guy in the local store was the owner and the only full time employee. I miss him, he had a massive comic collection of his own and knew everything about everything and even liked newer stuff to a point.

Now Im curious to know who built that saber.
It could possibly be an older model Graflex, but the only oilder model ive seen is the one with the small knurling on the red button (which still looks nothing like the one on the show), and the wire coming out of the other holes, and with the etched line bands just below the charge ports.
Not sure where that clamp is from or the fat lever.
The bottom of the saber also has no crumpted edge to hold the round base in place.

If this should happen to be some long lost sloppy job stunt saber, that guy certainly wouldnt be able to claim it's 100% authentic from the film....Especially considering no one I know has ever seen this, and that it never appears in the actual film.

That saber looks like a 'Project Graflex' saber, plans available online. It was a hot Internet item 10-15 years ago before eBay and Jeff Parks put everyone out of the build-your-own-Graflex business.

That's a piece of junk, not anything real. What a joke.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back