Comic Book Men reality show

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by alienscollection.com, Feb 12, 2012.

1. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

2. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Man, those reviews are NOT being kind....

3. JD

JD Master Member

Ouch.... yeah, the reviews do not come off favorable at all.

I have the DVR set, even if I wasn't a fan of Smith's I'd still probably watch this with a passing interest. As a fan of Smith, I already recognize most of the cast... which should make it interesting.

4. JD

JD Master Member

It's not that bad... of course, I am in the demographic. But, it needs a good editor and to be trimmed to 30 minutes, just way too much filler in this so far.

5. DoubleD

DoubleD Sr Member

This show is horrible. I'm watching it only out of morbid curiosity, but it's a train wreck. No way it's going to last.

6. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

What crack was that chick smoking thinking she was gonna get $500 for that chucky doll? They have em on eBay for $70

7. corytrevor

corytrevor New Member

I haven't seen the show but I have been a fan of smith's for years. Im still interested in seeing what this show is all about.

8. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

I loved it!

I hate 99% of reality TV. No, make it 99.9%. I am more of a sitcom kinda guy.

But this show was pure awesomeness!

Have any of you listened to the "Steve Dave" podcast? Maybe being a fan of that contributed to my enjoyment.

If you didn't like it, give it a few more episodes so you can "get" each of the guys. I bet they will grow on you. The geek culture subject alone should help. I love how they crack on each other.

Great stuff!

9. TK-Fett

TK-Fett Well-Known Member

I agree, I love the Tell 'em Steve Dave podcast, and I didn't even know what this show was just saw the name come up after walking dead and decided to set the DVR. I'm not sure if it will catch on with a regular audience but I for one will watch each episode, these are my kind of people, they sit and discuss deep topics like Did Han shoot first and where were chewies pants.

10. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

I thought it was extremely well played on AMC's part on how they handled the preview for next weeks The Walking Dead. They said it would air during the first commercial break of Comic Book Men. But what they didnt tell you was you would have to wait over 15 minutes to get a commercial break.

I lasted exactly 12 minutes before I threw my hands up in the air and looked at my wife and yelled "Done." Then we watched American Dad.

I really did try to like the show, and I like Kevin Smith and use to frequent the Secret Stash often so I knew who the guys were on the show,..........but it was so drawn out and boring. All it was, was a live taping of their podcast but with video meshed in with extremely boring comic shop footage and equally boring conversations. And that flea market they speak so highly of,...ya about that, its complete garbage. Years ago people would go there to get there bootlegged DVDs, CDs, etc....but everyone knows that there isnt anything worthwhile there anymore.

11. ReverendCasey

ReverendCasey New Member

Personally, I don't really care for Kevin Smith. Clerks was great but the rest is meh to me. And this show irks me. It further provokes the stereotype that we are all fat bearded losers in hockey jerseys lol

12. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Was really interested in watching this but wound up turning it off after the Walking Dead preview. Disappointed.

13. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love Kevin Smith. I own every DVD he has been a part of. I seen multiple interviews, I agree with just about everything he says, I "get" his movies when many don't. In addition, I have been a huge fan of comics books since I was able to read. Furthermore, I have done more than my share of toy/action figure collecting, so much that I used to own a store in the mall that did just that.

Yes, I thought the show was just terrible. :unsure
    I really got the feeling that they are under the impression that they are the epitome of pure geek cool, and that they will make a highly popular show if they just sit around BSing with no script. Kevin Smith on his own is pretty entertaining but this show was just...bad.

14. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

We watched up to the preview for next week's Walking Dead and I wasn't really impressed. When Kevin himself was on the screen, it was amusing, but the other guys just have NO personality of their own, it seems. :unsure

15. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

I tried watching. Didn't make it to the "Walking Dead" preview. I found it a bit slow and boring. The topics would interest me otherwise. I have to agree with MirrorminD's assessment.

16. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

The only reason I suffered through the first part of it last night was to see the next week preview of The walking dead. lol

17. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

It was mediocre. Probly wouldnt watch it again. I think everyone at the shop acted like douchebags and were condescending to anyone that walked in the door. I wouldnt sell them anything. I know that its a niche culture but the guys seemed to rip on everyone. Coming from a kinda nerdy guy that loves sci fi I found it borderline insulting. Definitely won't watch next week because I saw something to do with hockey.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  18. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

Is the big guy Laffo ? lol

19. Flecktarn92

Flecktarn92 Active Member

I didn't think it was good at all, I got half way through and turned it off. Its like they are trying to make it into Clerks, basically doing nothing in a store minus the comedy.

20. Hutch Evenings

Hutch Evenings New Member

Eh. I enjoyed it. I can see why most people wouldn't though. Sadly it's narrowcasting in a big way.

Probably won't last long, but while it's on, I'll enjoy it.

And, yeah I broke out in laughter when the woman wanted 4-500 dollars for a Chucky doll from Spencer's.

21. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

I watched it (carryover from watching The Walking Dead) and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

22. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

I don't understand at all. I really liked it. I loved it. I thought it was hilarious from beginning to end. Have it on my DVR and even watched it a second time. Can't wait for next week episode. I hate most things on TV nowadays, but this is good stuff. I think people will enjoy it more if they watch it more and get to know each of the guys. Walt is awesome!

23. thehorndogg

thehorndogg New Member

Comic Book Men = Pawn reality show for people like us. I'm going to like seeing what comes in the shop.

24. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I didn't mind it. I'm not sure if I'll try and watch it every Sunday but I'll watch a couple more episodes and give it a chance. As soon as they dropped the typical "let me bring in an expert" line, I rolled my eyes.

25. mrbungle

mrbungle Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

it was terrible...........................it was like pawn stars meets my neighborhood comic shop without the fun......

i wish i had four hands so i could give that show 4 thumbs down.......

26. badmojo

badmojo Active Member

I knew I'd seen her before.

[​IMG]

Meet TLC's Latest, Doll-Obsessed Star

27. JD

JD Master Member

I think a 30 minute program would be much better suited than the hour we got. It just seemed unfocused and dragged on.

I think it could get better as we get to know the 'personalities' behind the show. Johnson's supposed to be the funny one - but, he just came off as a bit of a jerk.

Lose the "podcast" parts of the show - although, I understand it's the only way they can get Smith on TV... and while he's not 'mega famous' - he's still a celebrity (with his movies, Jay Leno appearances, etc) and I'm sure they're trying to use that for what it's worth.

Again, it needs to be tightened up. I'd make Walt and Bryan the main 'characters' with Ming and Mike (who until the show aired, I hadn't a clue who he was) secondary cast who pop in or are in the background. With the amount of foot traffic the store appeared to get, I find it hard to believe there's be four guys working... (yeah, I realize they probably close shop for filming).

28. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

29. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Yeah, I'd say that sums up my feelings pretty well... except for his feeling that Walt might be a decent guy. To me, Walt comes off as just as much of a jerk as the rest. The only parts I found amusing were the podcast bits when Kevin Smith was actually present to counterbalance the unrelenting jerkiness.

30. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Just saw the last half-hour and that was enough. They need less talk and more cool comic book stuff. You take something like American Guns, which also is set in a store and involves the staff. Now you might not be that interested in the staff, although they're all amiable enough, but the meat of the show remains the guns, which you see loads of. Needs more of that. I liked the guy selling the Kirby poster and first appearance of Blade comic, that's what you want to see, not a bunch of clowns at a flea market.

31. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

I liked the premise but the first episode contained maybe 10% worth of actual comic books.

32. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just saw a commercial for tonight's episode. Looked like someone is going to try and pass off a replica ESB Luke saber as authentic.

33. MrGzilla

MrGzilla Well-Known Member

saw that too and just started laughing :lol
    i thought i heard the guy said he made it, and then heard the voice over say that they "could have the original prop here" or something like that haha

34. MrGzilla

they just showed it and it looked like an early replica.. the red buttons were pretty over sized and BRIGHT red! they had a "starwars nerd" come and verify it.. he said that it wasn't a prop from anh, but it was a real screen used prop from esb and worth maybe $7000..... :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

35. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

yea I want to know what this "screen used prop" BS was all about.

36. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Just watched the show...I was pretty boring and corny.
    The Lightsaber part was interesting though.

Anyone know who the Lightsaber expert was?

37. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Quick and dirty screen caps:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The owner claimed he bought it in Ann Arbor about 15 years ago. The "expert" made the claim it could have been a stunt piece because of the weight of the hilt.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  38. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Now I'm no ESB saber expert, but I do own two real Graflex sabers, one 3 cell, one 2 cell. And I also own 2 real red buttons and one of the best replicas you can buy. There is no way in hell, that that was even an authentic COMPLETE graflex, let alone an ESB used prop.

Having a 56" HD TV, I could clearly see that not only did the bottom of the saber not have the usual, Graflex/Kodak/Rochester, NY stamp on the bottom, but it looked like the bottom cap was an insert, with knurled edges. Now, like I said, I don't know if the ESB was a complete 3 cell graflex (I thought it was a reconfigured ANH saber), so I can't confirm if that part is legit or not. But the buttons, were cartoonishly wrong. Way too large and way too red.

If that guy is going to claim to be a star wars geek, perhaps he should learn a thing or two about star wars. I liked the "it's too light" comment. If you've never held an actual saber prop, how do you know what "light" is? My 3 cell got significantly lighter, once I pulled out the rotting batteries. That's the first thing the "expert" should have done - opened it and looked for corrosion and/or the contact spring...y'know, once he noticed the lack of markings on the bottom and the huge, incorrect buttons.

That poor guy is going to go home thinking he has a $7k prop, when in reality, all he has is a replica that he over-paid for, 15 years ago. * shame :angry.

EDIT: Serenity posted pictures, while I was typing, so you can see what I was talking about.

EDIT #2: After looking over my graflex, if that graflex is even real, it's the wrong model - it may be one of those early graflex flashes. The model where things are kind of close, but not really. The exaggerated shoulder on the charging port is really wrong (for the saber). The only shoulder should be under the test light bulb and the under the red button. And the beer tab should be attached via a rivet, not a philips head screw.

But I'll leave the rest of the dissection up to the experts.

-Fred

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  39. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

The guy should have taken the $180.

What a crock.

40. MrGzilla

wow.. that looks even worse in the screen caps than it did on tv xD its not even a graflex.. if the "expert" knew about the camera flash thing, how was he not able to conclude that it wasn't even a real graflex? it looks like a pretty good replica for being so old though! haha not worth $7000 though xD

41. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

I am a member over at the CGC comics board and we were amazed at the show's "experts" lack of knowledge over the batman comic & Kane sketch and the values of each.

Its interesting to see that their "experts" aren't that proficient with movie props or replicas either.

42. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

2nd time watching. Seems soft scripted to hell and I can't stand all of them even more. IMHO they're total douchebags. Even Smith. Wont watch it again. Not even with the Walking Dead bait spot for next weeks episode. Not worth the pain of watching those guys degrade everyone that walks through the door that has an obvious love for the things they treasured. I talked to a local comic book store guy last week and he said he was totally embarrassed by the show. I won't give it the ratings and watch. hopefully it gets cancelled. I seriously can't deal with douchebags on TV, Kardashians, etc.

43. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

The big thing is that if he goes to sell that saber, I bet some idiot will pay that despite it not being legit just because the guy from the show said it was from ESB.

44. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

What was that guys name soliciting replica props in old Starlogs back in the 80's...Marcko maybe? It looks like one of his.

45. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Liked last night's show better because there was more Kevin, but it's still too long and lacking substance. I could have lived without Muse. That was just bumb fluff.

And to have pronounced that ESB replica as screen-used after such a cursory inspection is nuts.

46. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

She was also on Oddities awhile back, and she's at all the cons in the Tri-State area. She pretty much does anything to get in front of a camera.

47. Lost21stJedi

Lost21stJedi Well-Known Member

Being originally from NJ, I only watched the first episode to see some old sites (Collingswood flea market for one). I turned it off with about 20 minutes left, couldn't take it anymore.

48. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

We didn't even make it to the Walking Dead preview this week. What is the POINT of this show, anyway? Just to show what big douschebags these guys are and to reinforce every single negative stereotype about people who like comics?!

49. Kid A

Kid A Active Member

I have mixed feelings about it. I dont mind the characters too much but it should be structured better within a 30min slot. I like that its kinda like a pawn shop show for us nerds and like to see what people bring in but cut out the "activities" parts. I think the "on the air" segment would work better as a final thought. Also bring in some better experts. That guy last night had a sweet Batmobile!

50. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I agree, people like this will make folks afraid of going into a comic shop even if it is the smallest of local ones.