Combi Stick-Working Post 37

Eaglewood

Sr Member
OK-- here is the deal-- I got this MR combi -stick from someone at another site for a pretty good price-- Here is my problem-- I want to make it extendable , retractable and workable. If you have checked out some of my other threads, you know that I have been working on some extendable and retractable spears-- Topnotch and I have been throwing emails, pics and phone calls back and forth on these.

So here is what I am going to do--
I am going to let the LAIR decide if I am going to make this a workable version or not complete with the LED countdown timer set up from others here in the Lair.
Yes, this means attacking it with a dremel or whatever else I need in order to do what I have to do-- but Hey-- its only resin, right?? I mean, I cant take it with me!!!
I will let the thread go for about a week and then count up the YEAS or NAYS and go from there--

So HUNTERS DECIDE!!!!!

hell yeah,.....totally do it,....
then let me know how ,...ha ha h a

it's needs lair love,........and it'll be well worth the headaches to get it working,...
keep us posted on progress

sounds cool. not sure how you would make it extendable and have the countdown electronics fit in the same part of the handle though.

sounds cool. not sure how you would make it extendable and have the countdown electronics fit in the same part of the handle though.

I dont know either but I love a challenge!!!! Maybe it wont have ALL the spear tips or they all wont extend individually obviously-- I may have to do separate groupings.

Technically, only the display has to fit in there, the driving electronics can be housed in the center of the handle away from the moving parts. Since the display box is raised a little, you can run a small conduit tube for wiring from the midpoint of the handle, and then solder on the LED units without taking up much space needed for the extension mechanism.

The extension itself: No idea at all.

OK--this is what I was hoping would happen-- people with various skills and talents jumping in here and offering suggestions.

Technically, only the display has to fit in there, the driving electronics can be housed in the center of the handle away from the moving parts. Since the display box is raised a little, you can run a small conduit tube for wiring from the midpoint of the handle, and then solder on the LED units without taking up much space needed for the extension mechanism.

My initial thought, exactly. It would be easier to make suggestions if you could make a quick sketch of the working mechanics, otherwise, personally, I feel like I'm throwing darts in the dark, lol. Oh, and I'm totally saying GO FOR IT!

still think maybe a few umbrella shafts might work,........depends on the weight i guess,.....

never tried the umbrella theory but it seems like it'd work ,....
wouldn't retract by itself,...........but if you can get them honed in to work together,...
it'd be a cool effect ,......might even have a * snappy* sound,......ha ha ha

still think maybe a few umbrella shafts might work,........depends on the weight i guess,.....

never tried the umbrella theory but it seems like it'd work ,....
wouldn't retract by itself,...........but if you can get them honed in to work together,...
it'd be a cool effect ,......might even have a * snappy* sound,......ha ha ha
Tried the umbrella stuff-- ok for gaunlets probably but not the spear. I have 4 torn apart umbrellas here to prove it. :) :)

I have to leave for NY this week and will be back on the weekend so I will count up the replies the following week and make the decision-- I had a suggestion that I should make a mold of it and do a casting so I dont ruin the original-- I suppose that would be considered recasting?? Comments? I really dont care if I tear into this one with a dremel--Its not like my life is gonna end if it gets trashed

I think you will probably have to mold it. The MR spears are cast THICK, and unless you have something that will allow you to drill it out inside, there is unlikely to be enough room inside it for a retractable spear. I still plan on molding mine (not an MR) but it's a slightly different shape to the MR, they rounded it slightly. I don't know that anyone would care enough to label it recasting, but what do I know? I wouldn't care, anyway.

I have to leave for NY this week and will be back on the weekend so I will count up the replies the following week and make the decision-- I had a suggestion that I should make a mold of it and do a casting so I dont ruin the original-- I suppose that would be considered recasting?? Comments? I really dont care if I tear into this one with a dremel--Its not like my life is gonna end if it gets trashed

i see no problem in casting a few copies for your self to experiment on. it becomes an issue when you sell them.

i see no problem in casting a few copies for your self to experiment on. it becomes an issue when you sell them.

That's how I understand it, as well.

As for cutting out the meat of the inside, if you could get it clamped up in a drill press with a hole saw bit, you may be able to cut it out. I'd just make sure to get that bad boy clamped in multiple places to keep vibrations down and go slowly...

Personally, I think you're better off figuring out how to make it a two-piece mold that can be expoxied as a skin to the outside of a 2" diameter piece of PVC, but that's just me...

My first thought was to do a mold and make a two piece as well-- but I sure as hell dont want to get labeled a recaster . I already know that if I do make these and they turn out great, people are gonna want em and then where does that leave me? I have to tell you all here-- sorry no can do-- Unless I get the blessings of the Lair-- I will do one for myself but not for sale unless everyone is agreeable , IF and when I get it completed.

kinda wondered that also,.....

but i noticed if ya buy something that includes a piece by someone else,....
they tell ya up front that it's by them ,.......

never hurst to make sure it's ok though,......ya know ???

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it if you were able to sell them as something different. It technically is recasting, but I would bet that unless you were doing this for no profit & only to cover costs of shipping & materials, not many would have a problem.

Most recasters on here are shanghai'd because they're selling something they claim to be theirs. (Whether they say so or not & most folks here can tell recasters). I'd bet if you sell these raw & un painted not many (Well maybe the manufacturer) would have a problem.

My opinion, go for it with the intent of helping others & not making a profits.

nope i disagree. making a couple copies for yourself to tear up so you can figure out how make it work is one thing. just because you modify it does not mean it is something different. that is recasting. and very frowned upon. if you make a mold, the intent needs to be for your own personal use and that's it. once you sell one, even in the guise of helping someone out who can't do the work, you are recasting.
the thing is people are gonna want it. but it's up to you to decide that as much as you'd love to help someone out, whether or not you want to sell a copy of someone else's work with your mods.

nope i disagree. making a couple copies for yourself to tear up so you can figure out how make it work is one thing. just because you modify it does not mean it is something different. that is recasting. and very frowned upon. if you make a mold, the intent needs to be for your own personal use and that's it. once you sell one, even in the guise of helping someone out who can't do the work, you are recasting.
the thing is people are gonna want it. but it's up to you to decide that as much as you'd love to help someone out, whether or not you want to sell a copy of someone else's work with your mods.

I have to agree with you on this one here XDMRAY-- recasting is recasting no matter how you look at it. once you slap some rubber on someone elses work, its recasting. The only way I would get a warm fuzzy and be able to sell them would to be have the blessing of MR, and we all know that aint gonna happen. Maybe im just back to starting from scratch and do a complete brand new design BASED on the design of the Combi-- but completely my own -- That probably would be the best route to take here I think. I mean, if and when I do get my own version done, how would I feel if someone took it and "made modifications on it to be their own" and started selling them-- Shoe is on the other foot now.

I had a situation where someone here had a Bio that I wanted to purchase cause I was gonna attack it with a dremel and create a bio that was a new design, just needed a base to start working from. I contacted them and told them what I wanted todo, that I wanted to mold the original so I didnt destroy it and was gonna modify the new one I made for my own. They were very appreciative that I told them what I was going to do and preferred that I didnt do it. Just common courtesy to let someone know your intentions with their work I guess.

Sorry-- getting a little off track here-- dont want to turn this into a recasting thread-- back on track
Damn-- now I gotta start on this-- Well-- I wont make any decisions until such time as I return from my trip-- If I do go ahead and modify this-- it will be just my copy and no more will be made-- so that being said-- should I proceed Hunters??

Sorry-- getting a little off track here-- dont want to turn this into a recasting thread-- back on track
Damn-- now I gotta start on this-- Well-- I wont make any decisions until such time as I return from my trip-- If I do go ahead and modify this-- it will be just my copy and no more will be made-- so that being said-- should I proceed Hunters??

I say do it man, id love to see a working version even if i cant get myself one! Hell, if you enjoy it and decide to make your own sculpt later on, you will have the foreknowledge to ensure your sculpt is ideal for the working parts and likely end up a better piece. Either way, im keen just to see it! :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back