Coloring Facial Hair: Light to Dark - HELP!

Hi Everyone. I am looking to temporarily color my mustache and goatee, eyebrows, and temples/sideburns from blonde (my natural color) to black for my Captain Hook costume. I have tried a product called Blackbeard For Men as well as numerous eyebrow pencils and mascaras to no avail. It has a cheap and cartoonish look and does not look natural.

I found a thread which mentioned using colored hair spray: just spray a little bit into a cup and then use a small brush (like a mustache brush) to apply from the cup. Someone used this technique to age their beard from brown to grey-white and it looked pretty good. Would going from blonde to black have the same effect?

If there are other alternatives and suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

I used to get great results with brown mascara for my Captain Jack Sparrow costume, but I can imagine black comes off as fake looking. Maybe the trick is to mix brown and black for a more natural look? Whatever matches the wig, if you have one, would be ideal.

How "temporary" are you talking? You can get actual beard dye called Just For Men that lasts several weeks but eventually fades away.

Speaking from personal experience with beard dye, If you're trying to go to black, don't use black. A few years ago when the greys really kicked in, I made the mistake of thinking hey, my beard used to be black, so black dye. I came out of the shower with it looking like a joke shop beard, wound up having to shave it off. What finally gave me the correct result was going with a medium brown. It looked and matched my natural color better than the black did. So I would try with a lighter brown first, if that doesn't give the correct color you can always go a shade or two darker.

I had that exact same thing happen to me years ago! Medium brown was the answer.

Now, however, I don't bother with any dye and let nature take its course.

I have basically white/gray hair and facial hair but for costuming as Percival Graves I needed much darker hair. I used a combination of dark brown and midnight black Ben Nye liquid hair color. I placed a little of both in a disposable cup, swirled it a little and applied it with a soft tooth brush. It looks really natural and it does wash completely out. I bought the stuff from Atlanta Costume, because that's where I live. You can probably find a closer source.

ATL

Sorry for the late response, but I've used mascara the water proof dark brown for Jack Sparrow, never comes off on clothes or anything. Warm water and soap scrubs right out. Ever since I stared using it...its all I use

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back