coloring clear resin 'amber'???

LeMarchand

Sr Member
For the "goldeneye device" project i need to cast amber colored transparant diamonds. Now...since i am as colorblind as a dog, i was wondering if someone can tell me how i can make an amber color using transparant paints to color the resin. What colors in what ratio?

goldeneye.jpg

thanks,

Marc

I would imagine that you would achieve better results using a color pigment (non opaque) in conjunction with your clear resin. Since you mix that in with your unpoured resin you would achieve a uniform coloring throughout each piece.

Someone else might be better able to offer you some insight on using paints to achieve the effect.

Originally posted by thestargateman@Feb 16 2006, 06:29 PM
I would imagine that you would achieve better results using a color pigment (non opaque) in conjunction with your clear resin. Since you mix that in with your unpoured resin you would achieve a uniform coloring throughout each piece.

Someone else might be better able to offer you some insight on using paints to achieve the effect.
[snapback]1186355[/snapback]​

You need a coloring dye for the resin. Orange ought to do it.

Originally posted by LeMarchand@Feb 16 2006, 02:49 PM
For the "goldeneye device" project i need to cast amber colored transparant diamonds. Now...since i am as colorblind as a dog, i was wondering if someone can tell me how i can make an amber color using transparant paints to color the resin. What colors in what ratio?

goldeneye.jpg

thanks,

Marc
[snapback]1186209[/snapback]​

Well, if you're just pouring them clear and want them to look amber; you can paint it with orange 'stained glass' paint and it will look as amber as you want it too....each coat gets darker, etc.

Newbie...jeesh :p

Then again, if you just want to tint your resin and have it cure amber, you're gonna have to fuss with it till you get a good tone. I'd use the above method.

I've tinted clears with food coloring and it works great. Quick and dirty.

These were all done with FC

Thanks guys :)

I tried coloring clear resin with transparant enamel paint the other day (revell airbrush paint) and it seemed to work well, resin fully cured and got a nice even color. Is this a good option?

As for amber, what color is it. Is it really yellow or a combination of colors (i really can't tell due to the colorblindness)

cheers

Marc

P.S. Rylo, can i call you tomorrow. what time are you home from balletclass?

I've tinted clears with food coloring and it works great. Quick and dirty shop trick.

I suspect you were not using a urethane clear?

A water based pigment (food coloring, dye, paint) will make urethane foam at the mouth :lol

Michaels, carries a three color Castin Craft tint set (red, blue, yellow) You could probably get a good color mix from a red/yellow combo maybe 1 red to 3 or 4 yellow ratio...

Originally posted by LeMarchand@Feb 16 2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys :)

I tried coloring clear resin with transparant enamel paint the other day (revell airbrush paint) and it seemed to work well, resin fully cured and got a nice even color. Is this a good option?

As for amber, what color is it. Is it really yellow or a combination of colors (i really can't tell due to the colorblindness)

cheers

Marc

P.S. Rylo, can i call you tomorrow. what time are you home from balletclass?
[snapback]1186443[/snapback]​

Marc,

Amber is a sort of "Brownish Yellow". I wish I could describe it better for you man.

Originally posted by exoray@Feb 16 2006, 07:07 PM
I've tinted clears with food coloring and it works great. Quick and dirty shop trick.

I suspect you were not using a urethane clear?

A water based pigment (food coloring, dye, paint) will make urethane foam at the mouth :lol

Michaels, carries a three color Castin Craft tint set (red, blue, yellow) You could probably get a good color mix from a red/yellow combo maybe 1 red to 3 or 4 yellow ratio...
[snapback]1186444[/snapback]​

Never had a problem. Results seen above.

Anyway; Marc. here's a few pics of what I was talking about. This stuff works rather well and browns down great for a faux amber. It's what I use.

I just shot this clear piece with one fast coat to give you an example. It will get darker with additional coats.

Just trying to save you a little time. (Here's the before and after)
Looks rather close to the color you may be looking for.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back