Color help wanted: ST:TWOK Field Jacket

Felgacarb

Sr Member
So, I either must be feeling cocky (or maybe masochistic...) I'm considering attempting the large field jacket from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (and a bit from ST III, too.)

After spending time reading over at the 1701st, I'm convinced that cotton duck is the correct outer material to use.

The most economical way to get it in the 'right' color seems to buy it natural (10 oz. Cotton Duck, Natural or Bleached) and dye up a big batch myself. (I've got my own washing machine and I am crazy enough to try it.)

So, assuming I can dye the cotton to approximately the correct color, the one thing holding me back has become: What is the correct color?

From memory, I would have said maroon. From the 1701st, it sounds like rust is closer.

I spent time with many, many trekcore screencaps, and some color charts from dye makers, and here's a picture of how things are looking:

ColorChartcopy.jpg

So, I'm hoping people with a better eye for color than mine can help me decide between the dark brown and the rosewood red. Or maybe something else? Anyone own, or have seen the real thing in person?

Since these will never stand next to the genuine article, if I end up with a color that looks like what most people remember, I'd consider it a success...

On a related note, I've had some luck hardware hunting:

L-009lg.jpg

Kirk-1.jpg

These are available on a site called "hardware elf" an look to be the real deal.

I have not been as lucky finding either the barrel/swivel whatever-they-really-are things that go over the straps on the front and back, or the briefcase lock (I think) that closes the front strap. Still hunting...

Last edited:
I have 2 replicas of this jacket actually. The front clasp is an old briefcase latch and we had to have new ones cast up by Max C. Let me know if u want pics of my replica.

I have 2 replicas of this jacket actually. The front clasp is an old briefcase latch and we had to have new ones cast up by Max C. Let me know if u want pics of my replica.

That's great! Right now I'm struggling trying to find something like this:

Hardware-3.jpg

Did you find a source? (or something similar?)

The briefcase latch I figured I'd have to scratch build something to get the right look, I haven't found any current ones that look the same.

Thanks- I would really like to see pictures of yours- especially a close up of the right front box pocket inset... I'm sure I'll come up with other specific questions as I progress...

Here's some further work done on what I'll call the 'barrel latches' that I posted pictures of above.

This is my second attempt to scratch build something that will look right and be pretty easy to make a number of:

BarrelLatch5copy.jpg

It's basically two 1/2" D-rings, a bent piece of aluminum sheet with two lines scribed into it, a machine screw, and a zip tie holding it together. To get the bends in the front I made a quick hardwood die.

BarrelLatch6copy.jpg

BarrelLatch3copy.jpg

Might be good enough to get away with- thoughts?

For the 3 ball latch, I went with the 'small' size. Mostly because the large was only offered in brass, and the small you can get in nickel....

In 2016- I'm convinced the large size is correct. Although you still can only get the small in nickel... I painted them silver for the most recent effort.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back