Colonial Viper Pilot Helmet

I would love to see the build process on this, as I've been thinking of doing one. Did you use one of the publicly available 3D models or do your own from scratch?

I'll try to post some of the build photos. I used an existing model a friend of mine published on Thingiverse and I added details to the Eagle emblem which I published as a remix of his design.

The first step was 3d printing the parts on an FDM printer and gluing them together the Eagle emblem was printed with an FDM printer for this photo and taped on but the final printed emblem was fabricated on my SLA printer. I had done some seam filling and coated the helmet with a two part epoxy.

IMAG1963.jpgIMAG1964.jpg

Next I primed the helmet with an automotive spray primer and coated the interior with fiberglass.

IMAG2042.jpgIMAG2041.jpgIMAG2040.jpgIMAG2039.jpg

After that I started sanding, a lot! I used a lower grit sandpaper, like 80, then did more bondo filling and sanding again, until I was using a 2500 grit sandpaper.

IMAG2058.jpgIMAG2059.jpgIMAG2068.jpgIMAG2088.jpg

I painted all the pieces separately and then assembled them, added the electronics and padding.

Thanks for sharing the the details--and the improved eagle STL.

How did you approach the lighting? I used to thing the originals were those rope type lights you can get off the shelf, but looking more closely now, it looks like it was a transparent plastic strip with small lights in the helmet above and below illuminating it.

The originals were hotter than hell and the actors hated wearing them, Halogen bulbs were used iirc

How did you approach the lighting? I used to thing the originals were those rope type lights you can get off the shelf, but looking more closely now, it looks like it was a transparent plastic strip with small lights in the helmet above and below illuminating it.

I can only imagine how uncomfortable they must have been. I do a lot of theatrical lighting design and it's amazing how LED fixtures have changed not only the effects we can do now but the cost savings on electricity and the heat reduction saves dramatically on A/C costs.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back