Colonial Movers ship

Wow, I wish Ed would post stories about decisions and challenges faced during those restorations. For instance, it appears he had to undo changes made to the Galactica shuttle for use in Buck Rogers, to the point of removing paint to reveal the "GAL" numbering, and replacing a casted donor part with a genuine kitbashed one.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for your replies!

I have the major kit parts for this project but my references photos are very poor!
icon_frown.gif

Since this forum is still not accepting new members, Jim Creveling was unable to log on and respond to this thread so he asked me to post this on his behalf:

===================================
Adolfo,

As Saintg was so kind to point out, my Colonial Movers model is not entirely correct. I built it eight years ago, long before most anyone had ever heard of studio scale modeling, and way before I had the collection of kits I have today. like you, I also had little reference material. Just the video of the show and a couple of blurry magazine photos to work with.

The porportions of my model are correct and even my scratch built containers are dead on matches to the AMT trailer kits. However, probably half the smaller detailing was guessed at. Particularly on the right side of the model. Over the years, I've managed to obtain much more reference and will someday get around to building a decent replica of the CM, but till then, you should not use my Movers model for detailing reference. Ed Miarecki did a fantastic job refurbashing the actual model from the show. Check him out.

Jim Creveling
===================================

Hi Jim, I'm not knocking your Colonial Movers model. I think it turned out great! I was just pointing out that there are errors with yours. Also, be careful when using Ed's restored CM, he did add some incorrect/tattle tale parts. Why, I don't know.
George

Good one Tim
icon_smile.gif
I agree. If you're going to bash or criticize someoneÂ’s genuine labors and efforts you may as well hang the group that had the ultimate reference but decided to use SLA copies of parts instead of the real deal. MR is getting a little too big for itself if it can make that kind of pitch in the beginning and then not follow through in the end. I was going to buy one but now NOT. I will continue to research it and build one the right way. WITH the kit parts
icon_smoking.gif

EDITED: to clear up what I meant, the SLA parts are of scanned data from the reference source meaning which ever mini they decided to use. This alters the parts look in that paint on the part distorts the detail, etc. and the scanner doesn't know that is not the correct shape. Then, the person/persons cleaning up the scanned data may make changes to the look as well so itÂ’s a no win. The real parts would of been way better to use. And as far as a legal issue as to the use of the parts, I don't believe that would of been an issue. That means EVERY kit used would then entitle the companies to a kick back from movie makers, etc. and if I'm not mistaken, the kits sale is a limited use copyright in that as long as you don't copy the entire kit as it is. Not use the parts to make something else/original.

SaintG, I know you and I know you didn't mean any harm to Jim. He and Charles are good people. I hope your remarks werenÂ’t taken the wrong way.

Adolfo, you need to understand, Galactica material is harder to come by then Star Wars. I can't comment officially on " Ed adding tell tales " but it would fit a pattern of these kind of people that restore things. For some reason they do change things. Like the paint job of the TOS E
icon_rolleyes.gif

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
star-art wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Since this forum is still not accepting new members, Jim Creveling was unable to log on and respond to this thread so he asked me to post this on his behalf:</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Hi Jim!

Even with some "Errors", i think that your CM model is amazing!
Thanks for your reply!
icon_smile.gif

Adolfo,

Me too! My CM was based on Jim's pics (before the original appeared at EM.com) and I can tell you he got it pretty damn close the first time around
icon_smile.gif

Mine is just a relaxation project to get away from the Galactica occasionally so therefore is not intended to be 100% accurate. It's another way to soak up excess parts from that project too. It will have a few cast parts on it as it would be stupid to waste money on another 10-15 railgun and B29 kits to use their original parts!
icon_rolleyes.gif
That cash could be put to better use on home theatre stuff, cars, partying........

Mike

Jim, drop me an email sometime mate
icon_wink.gif

you mean 12 rail guns and 8 B-29's
icon_smile.gif
Ed missed some of the B-29 parts on the back section before the engine module.

When you have a Mitz 73" HDTV ( the 84" was not out and I didn't want to wait ) with a Yamaha RX-V1 6-1 surround with all the trimmings and a 2005 Hummer H2 fully loaded and extras to boot, you just can't help but dumping your extra money into your projects
icon_smile.gif
Some of us are better funded for these projects so castings won't due.

Trust me, I can prove what I have.

Now, Jim did a fantastic job. I think to say its not accurate was a fair statement but wasn't meant to degrade his work. With what little he had he nailed a lot of good dims and details. Still, his Galactica, Colonial Movers and Cylon Tanker inspired a lot of people to jump on the boat including me and I want all kits, no castings, including 4 of a certain kit that was used on the X-Wing, Falcon and Y-Wing as well as the Galactica and one of the rag tag fleet ships so........... he is the father creator of Galactica replicas in my book. And he's a good friend that I would stand behind any time. Been here to my house several times and is just a great person to be around and associated with.

Keep on searching for pictures. I here some of the inner circle's materials were let out to a certain person that claimed he took them on a visit. And that his plans were dimmed from the real mini. Which he was not allowed to touch or photograph so..................
icon_rolleyes.gif

Let the games begin!

Heh, heh, the 10-15 kit figure was off the top of my head Mark. Give me a break!
icon_wink.gif
Hey, what are you doing sitting on the computer on a Friday night?

(Since we're hijacking the thread into home theater
icon_biggrin.gif
, yeah you got me with the 73 inch TV, but my 42 inch plasma looks just fine. The 7.1 THX amplification takes up the slack for me......Better funded? Assume nothing my friend! Home theatre is great fun isn't it?)

Jim certainly is the father-creator isn't he? Certainly my major inspiration for Galactica-related projects. I can't believe it was waaay back in 1998 when I first got to know him. Man, time flies! It would be great to see what he is cooking up these days (hint).

My CM is in the early stages with the armature and 3 main modules done. We're casting up lots of parts. So once that's done things can get underway in earnest and I'll post some pics for everyone to check out. I'm looking forward to this build after killing myself on the 'G' for so many years. Plus, I need some painting practice after all that time (a LITTLE rusty there). It truly is a fun project to build, the way all studio scale models should be. I have no idea what the right side looks like, but the 100% accurate philosophy doesn't bother me too much on this model, or any other for that matter. It's too cool a ship design to worry about the niggly bits!

Cheers all, Mike

Home on a Friday night with the wife and kid
icon_smile.gif

The 7.1 is a fake surround channel. ItÂ’s done with sound imaging. The place I go to said it was a waste of money. That and the fact they only did a few movies in 6.1 and nothing else since makes even the 6.1 a waste of money to me. Funny how they keep changing formats and adding to the processors but no media to use with it. Remember the 6.1 is front center, rear center, front effects left and right, rear surround left and right and then the sub. The side channels promised with 7.1 is all delay before the rear channel and that made me mad since movies have side channel decoding so why not make it so. Now with blue laser coming out I have to wait till they decide to sell them here in the states.
Long as I have you're ear, what do you think of the fact they promised region free DVDs and now we have more regions then they did on VHS!!! And how do you like our new Battlestar Galactica series? Don and I had fun making the TOS shuttle and Gemini freighter as well as the new shuttle but man, why did they take the work from us here and send it up north!

I agree accurate replicas are a matter of personal desire but as you said in a post around that you tore down your G's belly to be more accurate. So my point is if you are going to do it, do it right and don' rush just to get the praise.

Ahhhh, but there's nothing like future proofing is there? I think you're getting discrete input channels and matrixed surround mixed up. I'm only using the 5.2 (extra sub
icon_smile.gif
) speakers ATM, just have to get another two rears. It's a technological battlefield out there alright! The technology is outrunning the software. I agree that even 6.1 is a waste. The region coding was a great idea initially, but most of the players sold here can be easily programed to be region free. Go figure.

As for the Galactica, I had made a big mess of the underside and the 'coffin' area just didn't look right- too deep. It was easier to strip the whole thing and replace it with nice clean styrene than bother sanding off kit parts and superglue. Rest assured, I ain't rushing it or trying to get praise. Plenty of other people show their projects 'on the bench'. Hey, I'm a social guy and enjoy sharing modelling experiences with others!
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks for the 'don't rush it' advice though, but I'm itching to move on to other projects within my lifetime!

I did enjoy the new BG mini. The series is coming here soon and I hear it is quite good. The new 'G' is growing on me. I just wish Lee would cut off that entire bottom section.....she's pretty sexy in elevation view without it!

Cheers, Mike

Yeah, the belley section of the new G looks like the dreaded double chin we all must endure some time in our lives
icon_razz.gif

You see, there they go again! You buy players that can be re programed. Here, its not allowed and you can get into trouble. So they say. It just doesn't figure.

I have a list of needed kits and I actually have most of them now BUT...... I have no idea of how many of each kit or what part needs to be used. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Some of these kits (Like the Saturn V) I'd rather get multipals of. Others, I can live with casting.

BTW, I did some decals for Georges build up so.... If anyone needs some...........

Jeffrey Waclawski
JT-Graphics

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back