Collecting addiction - Warning signs

hez1

For the people who are just getting into this hobby, I thought a thread like this could serve as a cautionary tale. What are the warning signs that suggest you are in too deep, and will probably never get out? I'll start:

1.You have the same bio from several different makers because 'they each have their own individual nuances'.

2.A large box arrives, and you know it's a bio/collection piece, but you can't quite remember which one it might be.

3.You hear a loud crash from another room, jump up in a panic, and relax upon realising that that cat has simply knocked over your wifes favourite piece of china/photo display/wine glasses. The bios are fine.

4.When you say to your wife/girlfriend: "Hey, guess what?" and she replies curtly:
"What? There's some OTHER COOL PROP ON THE INTERNET YOU WANT?"
Bonus addiction points if she's right.

lol i wanna see an episode of horders where its a house of nothing but pred stuff. I would help fix that house up by taking it into mine haha

1. Well considering I JUST bought another KJP1 from Casey (to replace the one I sold with my suit), your own P1 from you Paul, and the P1 stunt that George is sending me, I guess I have a problem. HOWEVER, in my defense, I have been DYING to get those 3 Bios together for a very looong time. I want to see all the subtle differences between all three for the primary reason being that I know that they all have origins back to the original screen used Bio. For me, the P1 Bio is the holy grail of anything in my collection so to compare all three will be a monumentus moment!

2. Just happened yesterday actually, which surprises me because I usually know whats coming and when to expect it. DAMN CUSTOMS!!!! I blame them for any and all delays. ;)

3. Thankfully, I have never dropped a Bio, but I did have one arrive that was broken. If I heard a crash in the "monster room", I think my heart would skip a few beats...

4. My wife and I have a mutual understanding - I only buy new props with money I make from the things I sell. Considering I just sold my suit for $4000, and I just spent a large amount of money on a few people here on the Lair - I'm a happy camper

I love this hobby and have no problem admitting it. Is it a problem? Only if I start spending money I don't have, which won't be happening.

lol i wanna see an episode of horders where its a house of nothing but pred stuff. I would help fix that house up by taking it into mine haha

There are a handful of people who have very large and extensive Predator collections. Bryan is one of them. I've been bugging him to post a video of his Predator stuff so people can really grasp the reality of how large it is.

What really intrigues me are the rare screen-used props that show up from time to time. I wish collectors like that would just post pics of their screen used Pred stuff just so we could all drool over our keyboards...

For the people who are just getting into this hobby, I thought a thread like this could serve as a cautionary tale. What are the warning signs that suggest you are in too deep, and will probably never get out? I'll start:

1.You have the same bio from several different makers because 'they each have their own individual nuances'.

2.A large box arrives, and you know it's a bio/collection piece, but you can't quite remember which one it might be.

3.You hear a loud crash from another room, jump up in a panic, and relax upon realising that that cat has simply knocked over your wifes favourite piece of china/photo display/wine glasses. The bios are fine.

4.When you say to your wife/girlfriend: "Hey, guess what?" and she replies curtly:
"What? There's some OTHER COOL PROP ON THE INTERNET YOU WANT?"
Bonus addiction points if she's right.
1. I will only buy bios from films and fan-films alike never going beyond that and Like Bryan says "There like Pokemon, Gotta collect them all!" that is just not how I see bios. Other Pred stuff like Props, Hot Toys, and model kits is another story

2. I have had that happen once when I bought more then one Predator item on EBay

3. When I hear a crash in my room I always run because I have more collectibles in there then just pred stuff and I'm always making sure nothing in there is broken or misplaced ;)

4. Happens to me everyday

There are a handful of people who have very large and extensive Predator collections. Bryan is one of them. I've been bugging him to post a video of his Predator stuff so people can really grasp the reality of how large it is.

What really intrigues me are the rare screen-used props that show up from time to time. I wish collectors like that would just post pics of their screen used Pred stuff just so we could all drool over our keyboards...
Or we can at least look at them to make sure that we got the detail down pat if we want to be as accurate as possible in our work.

Hey Paul... that converstaion was private! No need to bash me on the lair ;)
all except point 3 are spot on... it's usally the half opened window banging!
Here's another point especially in my case...

5. you got so much that you cant walk into the room. You have to admire the collection from the door only.
And now your bio molds, 2nd suit and 2 masks are taking over the 2nd bedroom.

Ps have another delivering tomorrow of 2 bios and waiting on 2 more masks to arrive soon too

- Cooking a turkey dinner for your significant other not only because you love him/her... but because when you are done... you want to take the bones out of it for your Predator costume.

My obsession for Pred stuff has begun fairly recently. The year AVPR came out, I bought all of the McFarlane figures, but gave them away to my then gf's son.

I have been renewed in my obsession since finding this site. 4 NECA figures and 3 Bios to date in the last 2 months is not overwhelming, but a good beginning. I have my eye on two more bios which I am sure I will have before Christmas. By then the next round of NECA figures will be out.

Hi.
I'm Bill and I'm a Predaholic. ...but I don't want to be fixed. ;)

Hey Paul... that converstaion was private! No need to bash me on the lair ;)
all except point 3 are spot on... it's usally the half opened window banging!
Here's another point especially in my case...

5. you got so much that you cant walk into the room. You have to admire the collection from the door only.
And now your bio molds, 2nd suit and 2 masks are taking over the 2nd bedroom.

Ps have another delivering tomorrow of 2 bios and waiting on 2 more masks to arrive soon too

yes, I'm guilty on #5, (barely walk into the room) its spread from my workroom to my bedroom :0

---
Ei'luj

hmmm? Dead End Animatronic Blade Guant anyone?

d6173aad.jpg

88a87281.jpg

both blades exist ..one of them is in a box somewhere

Ha ...no ...there are multiple cables running out the back ..it was the hero shot ...when the arm is down and the blade comes out. The other Gaunts had fixed blades in them ...that is why there is no back side to this one ..you never see it in the frame ...its a fairly large contraption

Hez is Right, we're what you call enablers. Scott if you see a DB P1 V2, you buy it! lol just messin. Yeah I thought I had it bad with all the obsessive details of the 1st 2 movies, you guys beat me in the props dept.

Funnt thing is I have only bought one for myself. THe others were for suit builds for members. And, I sold mine so I guess thats kicking the habit...sort of but, not really, I guess maybe, so not so much, could be?

I guess I'm safe from all of this, then. I haven't collected any screen-used props yet, or bios from other members. So, I don't own a collection -- I just own one suit, plus my old mask and bio.

As far as making this stuff goes... well, that's another story. I've got the molds for five masks (Gamera, Zebraman, Godzilla, Sleestak, and my old Predator mask) sitting in my basement. The shelves in my workshop have a lot more parts and tools for costuming than they have for regular home repair jobs. And, if I ever start sculpting more bios from the comic books, then I guess I'll have a collection.

Crap. I guess I AM addicted. ;)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back