Collaboration to create full “Advanced Potion-Making”

This thread is amazing! A great resource for those of us who want to make a book of our own. I have been working on my replica (off and on) for a year. I've hardly scratched the surface when it comes to written content, but I'm happy to share what resources I've used. I also plan to release my replica templates and a tutorial video on my YouTube channel when it's all finished. I still have a long way to go, but yeah. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted resources in this thread - especially the amazing high resolution reference photos!

Here's a high res image of the cauldron cover art for anyone who needs it!

Attachments

• cover-cauldron.png
    cover-cauldron.png
    754.1 KB · Views: 242
I also made a replica of the back cover of the 4th edition book. Here it is if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• advanced-potion-making-4th-issue-back-cover.jpg
    advanced-potion-making-4th-issue-back-cover.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 255
just wondering if someone has a good pic of the table of contents for edition 2, i have made the first page accurate but can't find anything about the second page, and as i know the table of contents its quite different in both editions, thanks!

This are someones pictures, but i dont remember who post them.
And this is a little index

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    873.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • Index APM.pdf
    398.8 KB · Views: 149
just wondering if someone has a good pic of the table of contents for edition 2, i have made the first page accurate but can't find anything about the second page, and as i know the table of contents its quite different in both editions, thanks!

Here's the full transcript of the index for the 2nd edition, including page numbers and the disclaimer at the end.

Attachments

• APM - Table of Contents - 2nd Edition.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 221
Thanks! really apreciate! i m looking now its the same index as int he second edition? changing the page numbers?

Last edited:
Thanks MuggleMagic!

What do we know about the differences of the two Contents?

Do we know the total page numbers between the two books?

We know that "Preparation of the Draught of Living Dead" starts on page 10 in the Second Edition and page 11 in the Fourth Edition.

To the keen eye, the image above shows chapters 4, 5 and 6 and they all seem to line up with the fourth edition version.

I couldn't get a cleaner shot of the first page of the contents from the movie...but the number of sections seem to match up with edition 4. I just can't see the page numbers...

Maybe it's just a matter of using the 4th ed. contents and just change the page numbers slightly to make "Living Death" on page 10.

If someone knows the differences between the two Contents, please enlighten us!! :)

;)

Attachments

• XX0.jpg
    XX0.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 236
  • XX1.jpg
    XX1.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 237
  • XX2.jpg
    XX2.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 214
  • XX3.jpg
    XX3.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 194
  • XX4.jpg
    XX4.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 185
  • XX5.jpg
    XX5.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 169
  • XX6.jpg
    XX6.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 173
  • XX7.jpg
    XX7.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 165
  • XX8.jpg
    XX8.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 208
Thanks MuggleMagic!

What do we know about the differences of the two Contents?

Do we know the total page numbers between the two books?

We know that "Preparation of the Draught of Living Dead" starts on page 10 in the Second Edition and page 11 in the Fourth Edition.

View attachment 1025505

To the keen eye, the image above shows chapters 4, 5 and 6 and they all seem to line up with the fourth edition version.

View attachment 1025507

I couldn't get a cleaner shot of the first page of the contents from the movie...but the number of sections seem to match up with edition 4. I just can't see the page numbers...

Maybe it's just a matter of using the 4th ed. contents and just change the page numbers slightly to make "Living Death" on page 10.

If someone knows the differences between the two Contents, please enlighten us!! :)

From what I can tell, the pages are only different in the first few chapters. I used screenshots from the movie for the differences and what I couldn't see/didn't exist, I filled in the gaps with the 4th edition index - kind of like Jurassic Park using frog DNA to complete the Dinosaur DNA. Except I don't think what I've done will cause this book to reproduce asexually.

Seriously though, I think this is the closest it will come to the actual prop based on the images and info we have. The only way to get an accurate table of contents is for someone to take photos of the actual movie prop - because right now those photos don't exist.

From what I can tell, the pages are only different in the first few chapters. I used screenshots from the movie for the differences and what I couldn't see/didn't exist, I filled in the gaps with the 4th edition index - kind of like Jurassic Park using frog DNA to complete the Dinosaur DNA. Except I don't think what I've done will cause this book to reproduce asexually.

Seriously though, I think this is the closest it will come to the actual prop based on the images and info we have. The only way to get an accurate table of contents is for someone to take photos of the actual movie prop - because right now those photos don't exist.

As long as it doesn't turn into a Monster Book of Monsters and try to eat us, we should be ok!

So I put together a contents page that I feel pretty good about. I used all the resources that were presented to me by this community and the movies. I also ended up fudging some of the numbers because they either didn't make sense or didn't flow well. For example, the Preparation pages except for the Living Death one, started on an odd page number, which starts it on the right hand page and doesn't have that nice two page flow that Living Death has. So I just changed all the Preparations to start on an even page number.

I also like having a chapter page starting on an odd page number with a blank page before it. So any pages from the previous chapter that didn't allow that kind of breath for the following chapter, I ended up shifting those page numbers a touch. Like in the end of chapter 8, A Practical Process...II starts on pg. 229 and the beginning of chapter 9, A Practical Process...III starts on 230. I think I just had that start on page 132 instead.

I took a little liberty for chapter 6. In this photo,

it ends on what looks like Jinx and Protections or something like that. Super hard to make out, but it doesn't line up with what edition 4 uses. So I also ended the chapter at that point on the page as it seems chapters don't spill over onto other pages. Looks cleaner in my opinion.

Anyway, take a look at the PDF and let me know of any comments or critiques. I'll be starting on getting the chapters filled in with Lorum Ipson text just to start fleshing out the sections. I imagine I'll continue to fudge numbers as I start to flesh out what the pages will look like.

Never mind the low quality graphics, I just exported it on low settings. ;)

Attachments

• APM_v1.pdf
    76.3 KB · Views: 199
Here's the Introduction pages I whipped up. A lot of the text was taking from Pottermore and Snape along with some fan sites. I encourage any of you to edit or contribute to this and post them here so that I can add them to my master inDesign file. I tried to keep this more towards potion making then alchemy itself.

APM_Intro_a_v1.jpgAPM_Intro_b_v1.jpg

What fonts are u using for the book? The one i'm using its not the correct one...
That's the introduction i think its screen accurate:
Captura de pantalla 2019-06-18 a las 20.10.52.pngCaptura de pantalla 2019-06-18 a las 20.10.55.png

What fonts are u using for the book? The one i'm using its not the correct one...
That's the introduction i think its screen accurate:
View attachment 1030272View attachment 1030273

I believe I'm using Farao font:

I've seen that intro before from other replica's made by Snowfire, AlarmEighteen and Noel Green. Since I haven't seen the intro from any movie reference or from images of the actual prop, I figured it was made up.

If it is legit, I'm more than happy to use it!

Guess who’s still alive! Too much has happened irl for me to have kept working on this project after starting it and pretty much forgot about and the research and data collection I had done for it until earlier today.

It’s the middle of the night right now, but I will looke more closely at everyone’s contributions tomorrow and see what we have so far.

Also, gotta admit to being a bit honored to see posts by Mr Muggle Magic (Danny) on this. I hope to see the finished project on your sites, as well as all other possible sites we can share this on, so WB can’t stop them all from offering it for free. Essentially want to saturate the net with the complete document to ensure it’s available to all as long aspossible.

So, from what I could determine after reviewing imag
As long as it doesn't turn into a Monster Book of Monsters and try to eat us, we should be ok!

So I put together a contents page that I feel pretty good about. I used all the resources that were presented to me by this community and the movies. I also ended up fudging some of the numbers because they either didn't make sense or didn't flow well. For example, the Preparation pages except for the Living Death one, started on an odd page number, which starts it on the right hand page and doesn't have that nice two page flow that Living Death has. So I just changed all the Preparations to start on an even page number.

I also like having a chapter page starting on an odd page number with a blank page before it. So any pages from the previous chapter that didn't allow that kind of breath for the following chapter, I ended up shifting those page numbers a touch. Like in the end of chapter 8, A Practical Process...II starts on pg. 229 and the beginning of chapter 9, A Practical Process...III starts on 230. I think I just had that start on page 132 instead.

I took a little liberty for chapter 6. In this photo,

View attachment 1028247

it ends on what looks like Jinx and Protections or something like that. Super hard to make out, but it doesn't line up with what edition 4 uses. So I also ended the chapter at that point on the page as it seems chapters don't spill over onto other pages. Looks cleaner in my opinion.

Anyway, take a look at the PDF and let me know of any comments or critiques. I'll be starting on getting the chapters filled in with Lorum Ipson text just to start fleshing out the sections. I imagine I'll continue to fudge numbers as I start to flesh out what the pages will look like.

Never mind the low quality graphics, I just exported it on low settings. ;)

Love the work you did on the table of contents, but just a couple of things. For one, to match the screenshot of the contents page in the film, how about adding "The" to "Preparation of Polyjuice Potion". Also, in order to fit the pre-introduction pages (Title page, about the author, title w/ publisher and copyright info, and the table of contents itself) what about pushing the beginning pages back a bit? Originally I used the 4th ed. images to work out the page numbers into this: 1030491

But after reviewing the same images everyone else has I ended up with a pages breakdown of this:

Obviously, to match the only available images of the 2nd ed. contents I do agree that dropping "The Potion Making Process Part V.I" is necessary, but I don't think the first word of the mismatching section is "Jinxes". It looks like some four-letter word. Here's the two available images of that entry more close-up.
If the cursive writing could be guess at then at least then we may be able figure out what the section is supposed to be.

To work the Introduction in while keeping a textbook layout and closely match the page numbers listed in the original prop, the Introduction may need to be trimmed down to one page.

This is what I have so far from provided pages without just pasting from other people's completed work, since I don't want to use other people's intellectual property without their express permission.

Attachments

• Collaboration Created Pages.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 213

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back