Cold Weather Resin Curing

GeekStation

Hey guys,

I've been working on a custom Batman build for a local convention (thread forthcoming), and I need some advice. I finished pepping my cowl, and I'm ready to start applying the resin. It's been cold out though, and I was wondering what the lowest curing temperature is for resin or if there was any cold-weather tips you could give for working with resin.

Thanks!!

Ryan

I wouldn't go much below the "optimum" temperature that the manufacturer states. In fact, you should store them in that range too or you risk the resin components being compromised.

I had the unfortunate occasion when making a fiberglass mold for a client on a cold winter night when the epoxy gelled but never cured hard. The cold killed the catalyzation process.
I gave it three days before I gave up and had to scrape the gummy half cured goo off my part so I could do it again.

Heed the warning!

what you can do to accelerate the curing process is to heat up the Components Before mixing. have had to do so a few times due to cold Swedish weather.

When I was mixing flexible urethane in Winter, I used to warm the product up in a tub of hot water. Now that is it summer and we are having a heat wave, I have to either wait until the evening when the temp drops below 30 degrees C, or stand the bottles in a cold tub of water.

Been there a few times myself when building a Dalek in the UK. Heaters ( some distance away) and also, doubling up on the catalyst will help. I have also used a hairdryer on smaller pieces. I have had Fiberglass set fine in 0 degrees C temp using these methods.
Good luck with it :)

Extra catalyst is fine with polyester resin, but polyurethane and epoxy must be mixed in the proper ratio. Some epoxy brands have a fast catalyst that can be used in cold weather.

My shop is tough to keep warm, even with an electric heater it's usually just 60F. I can cast OK, but it takes longer to cure. Sometimes I warm up epoxy a little just because it gets too thick.

I always warm everything up inside by fireplace/ heater first, and then bring what I have back inside and let it cure inside by the fireplace / heater. This may be to simplistic but it's what I do.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back