Unlimited Run Cold Cast Hoth Scanner/Snowtrooper Ab Discs- Cast from Original Thermostat

OK Tracking numbers messaged to everyone (unless otherwise still discussing it with you)

I will be working on the next sets this weekend and next week. I may offer a finishing service for an additional cost as I've already had one request so far.

Thanks

-Chris

I took one of the castings to polish up tonight to Guage time/work for it. I will be honest it will take some time.

Some things I'll stress for those of you working on these:

- if you're using steel wool, be careful, if you're going to hard with it, it can wear away surface details just like sand paper (I did this accidentally on this piece)

- If you're going hard at the piece, try to set it on a flat surface. If you're needing to hold it, I suggest holding it in your palm, as flat as possible.

- Follow up to the last point- the combination of your body heat and friction from the work can soften the resin rim and make it flex, so be aware when and how you're handling it, support the rim as much as possible. If the rim does bend during this process, you should be able to carefully flatten it back down, hence, why I suggest using a flat hard surface to work it against.

I'll add, although generally if you're already familiar with cold cast, is that it can generally be "darker" in contrast to true aluminum, or in this case, steel. If anyone can or knows better polishing techniques, please share!

Here's just some pics to get an idea

20210401_213645.jpg
20210401_213602.jpg
20210401_213554.jpg

One thing I am going to do going forward is leaving more of the resin flashing around the rim. The first batches I cut more of the material around the rim. It's not a huge issue though, but having more excess I believe makes it a little but easier to handle. In the polished example here, I polished the piece first and then cut thr flashing off, took some sandpaper to the edge and then did a once over with the polish again.

So yea, if you have any comments or suggestions on how I can improve it, please let me know

-Chris

I'd say if plain ol' elbow grease doesn't get it shiny enough, Testors' stainless steel Metalizer might be a good approach. Spray the sealer on first, then the Metalizer. Once it's cured, it buffs to a finish that looks almost exactly like the real thing, and won't rub off from normal handling.

I'd say if plain ol' elbow grease doesn't get it shiny enough, Testors' stainless steel Metalizer might be a good approach. Spray the sealer on first, then the Metalizer. Once it's cured, it buffs to a finish that looks almost exactly like the real thing, and won't rub off from normal handling.
Definitely something you can do, though would make the cold cast aspect kind of redundant. I'm gonna try some alternative casting methods brought up to me that may actually be impacting the ability to get it shinier, or at least achieve a better finish. I'll be experimenting tonight

I intend to polish up the cold cast as best I can. The Metalizer likes a smooth surface. And I don't feel it's redundant. If the thermostats take a few knocks or get a scuff that takes off the paint, there'll still be something underneath to pass casual observation.

Ok so this is another piece I tested today. It was a very slight deviation in the mixing process, so I am not sure how much of an impact it really had or not, though I took a more methodical approach to polishing this one up. I went pretty light with the steel wool in terms of aggressive use and pressure, rather, lighter passes and precise application. This resulted in achieving the initial shine rather quickly, especially compared to the other piece from yesterday. I then went onto using the aluminum polish, applying it with some Q-tips and then moving to paper towels to buff. I have to imagine using something like a cotton t-shirt would yield better buffing results though (shoe shining days in honor guard).

While it is still not as bright as the real deal, it is a significant improvement from the previous one. I feel it's far more apparent in person, but you can see the difference in these pics. For the pics with my hand, the real thermostat is on the right/bottom side

20210402_212602.jpg
20210402_212632.jpg
20210402_212615.jpg

Mine arrived today! (y)
The castings are excellent! Details are crisp & sharp, & you can almost read all the writing around the outer edges that are stamped in the original. They are also very easy to clean up & trim off the casting excess.
Sorry for no photos. The lighting is gone.
Thank you tubachris85x !! I have no idea what I’m gonna use these on yet, but it’s nice to have ‘em at the ready.

Mine arrived today! (y)
The castings are excellent! Details are crisp & sharp, & you can almost read all the writing around the outer edges that are stamped in the original. They are also very easy to clean up & trim off the casting excess.
Sorry for no photos. The lighting is gone.
Thank you tubachris85x !! I have no idea what I’m gonna use these on yet, but it’s nice to have ‘em at the ready.

Thank you and I'm happy that you got them! I hope you find a good use for them someday!

I've been hella busy over the weekend, so I have not been able to produce anymore sets as of right now. I have a few orders that will be going out either tonight or tomorrow morning on my way to work. As of right now I have no others on my interest list, so please lmk if you're interested. Thanks everyone

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back