Cold cast aluminum P1

hez1

I'm sorry...I seem to have about a million threads right now, and I feel like an attention whore, but I'm not, honestly! I've just been overcome by a burst of energy to get stuff done, and the latest thing has been a cold cast aluminum P1 bio.

I've polished it up but not done anything else to it yet as far as finishing it goes, I'm considering doing a limited run of half a dozen or so. There's some pics of it compared to a celtic that's been painted with a regular krylon silver finish.

coldcastalu1.jpg.gif

coldcastcomp1.jpg.gif

coldcastcomp2.jpg.gif

coldcastcomp3.jpg.gif

That **** right there is some cool stuff! I like the Bio being made of metal! Considering that in the movie it looks like it was forged from steel, you took it to a whole nutha level! It even looks metallic...fantastic! I assume there's no paint on it in those pics?

How heavy is it compared to your resin cast Bios?

Awesome job Paul...and no you aren't an attention whore

Nope, no paint. In person it's a pretty uniform finish all over, although there's a solution I have that will darken aluminum. If it would give a brown look as well I'd use it, but it pretty much just gives shades of grey and black. It actually only adds a few ounces in weight to a regular bio...the aluminum is a lot better than the bronze for weight!

Uratz, if you have no luck finding it in China, let me know, I'll see what I can do to help. :)

I know they have it here, just haven't dig deep enough
Will let ya know.

For the patina is it a liquid/chemical? Can you show us how you do it? Thanks

yep, it's called aluma black...you just brush it on, and the metal underneath darkens. Cold water stops the reaction, and it can be scrubbed off with some effort.

Does different metal darken differently with the same liquid? say bronze/ copper...turn to green? Or this solution work like a die and stains it? Sorry I'm picking your brain

Hey, no probs.

As far as I know, the aluma black only works on aluminum. I did try it on the bronze bio, and nothing happened. If I had to guess, I'd say this was probably because the aluma black doesn't directly affect the metal, but the thin layer of oxide that coats all aluminum.

I got all my patina stuff from this place http://www.sculpturedepot.net/clay-wax-too...na-supplies.htm

I just ordered a bunch of stuff though, and experimented. They have some combination solutions that will affect different metals in different ways...what might give a black/green patina on bronze, will give a rust/black patina on iron or steel. As soon as I get some more cash it's going to be investigated more fully...this is more or less the limit of my experience.

Wow. Now that is badass, Paul.

...so do you need to wear welding gear when cutting out the eyes?
laugh.gif

You should always be covering your eyes when you're cutting anything...:) But unless you're cutting them out with an oxyacetylene torch, you can probably pass on the welding kit.

OK, now this was fun...there's not a lick of paint on this thing, this is aluma black, a propane torch and some steel wool. :p

And no, the right eye was not deliberate...I was a little slow getting some water. Some heat and reshaping later, and it just looks like a direct plasma hit or acid burn. :lol:

IMG_0315.jpg.gif

IMG_0316.jpg.gif

IMG_0317.jpg.gif

IMG_0321.jpg.gif

IMG_0320.jpg.gif

IMG_0322.jpg.gif

IMG_0326.jpg.gif

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back